brazzy

B Waldman

intimately learn a particular public body of water

The piece about the public body of water was in regards to how to catch big bass. I disagree with having that as a strategy in New England.

I agree that people exaggerate... It is what is it. But to post an article that people are liars and back it up with nonsense statistics pulled from tournament fishing is a bit weak. The premise of the entire article is based on his concept that people fishing in tournaments (and only during tournaments) yield bigger fish than people who dont (or are not in a tournament at that time). Meanwhile I dont know anyone whose personal best came in a tournament. I dont know of anyone whose personal best came from a body of water that hosts tournaments. I think it is a New England thing simply because once word gets out that a body of water is a hot fishing spot everyone and their grandmother fishes the crap out of it.

Im from RI so Ill use it as an example but what do we have for bodies of water that host tournaments? Johnsons Pond, and Echo Lake. They are weak places to fish at best. You can send KVD to Johnsons Pond vs a 15 year old kid with a bucket of frogs down at the pond behind uncle smitty's farm and my money is on the kid for lunker of the day. Ish Monroe, Chris Lane, and Dean Rojas at Echo Lake vs my girlfriend at the local golf course (golf courses are awesome by the way) and lunker of the day will probably go to my girl.

The point is that big fish are rare, but they are not rare enough to call someone a liar if they say they caught one. There are people out there who do catch them regularly. Tomorrow I hope to break the five pound mark a couple of times. I better not get my hopes up since the article basically shows that I have a better chance of getting pregnant than having that happen... Especially since its not a tournament. LOL
[/b]

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Here is one from this morning, Sunday. Fished from 6-9am in Plymouth. Unfortunately, my digital scale decided to give me problems during the weigh-in. I am estimating an even 5. But it doesn't count, since my scale let me down. This was caught about 730am in about 12' of water paralleling a steep drop off into 20' of water. I was using a blue/black jig with a small blue/black craw trailer. I was Slowling dragging it right on bottom when it went thump-thump. Wish I could of gotten an official weight, but here it is anyway...

PS I just saw this thread went off on a tangent...FYI This pond I fished today is a cartopper only pond that is not fished hard too often, and requires work to get a kayak/cartopper into it.

Last edited by knobcreek on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:03 am

willy68

I think Brian Waldman says public water. My personal experience is fresh water bass is very hard to surpass the 5 pound mark especially in new england. 5.0 is a magic number. I have a digital scale with me. Everytime I thought the fish is like a 5 pounder, the scale proved me wrong just about everytime.

I disagree with this. Yes when I fished tournament bodies of water, one with concrete slab ramps, if I caught a 5lber I was thrilled and it was a rar occurance.
However since giving up the tourney scene and buying a cartopper, I catch fish over 5lbs regularly. I would consider "regularly" as at least every other trip. This year so far I have 10 fish over 5lbs and 3 over 6.

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:39 am

I had no intentions on doing this, but I ended up landing my biggest fish today. Figured why the hell not. Oh and by the way. I think this is the tourny scale. I thought I gave it back at chichuate, but I found it in my boat yesterday when I was cleaning it out.
5.00lbs even. Tried him twice on the scale because I couldn't believe it myself....

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Jeff I just weighed in a 6.37 lb at the Quabog Tourney confirmed on the MAFF scale I have pics of it as well but not hanging on the scale does it count? 20 plus witnessess

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:10 pm

damn nice job neil. i started the day with a 4 and finished up with a 5 but won't even post it now. the only good part was me wearing the MAFF shirt in the pic.

willy, thanks for the invite. I don't always do well. the reason i killed it at this place was because it gets almost no pressure and it's private.

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:07 pm

mindgame

I had no intentions on doing this, but I ended up landing my biggest fish today. Figured why the hell not. Oh and by the way. I think this is the tourny scale. I thought I gave it back at chichuate, but I found it in my boat yesterday when I was cleaning it out.
5.00lbs even. Tried him twice on the scale because I couldn't believe it myself....

So THEEEEERE it is!!!

I don't know about the next tourney host, but I'd like to have the "Official" MAFF scale back for our tourney on 8/5/12 @ Upper Mystic Lakes if possible.

Nice fish too! Gotta love the belly, but looks like Sinista pulled this one off so far. WTG Brother Sinista!

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:01 pm

I know I'm beat but will show my lunker 4lb 12oz larry

3lb 4oz smallie

Last edited by smokecity on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:02 pm

mindgame, i can't believe that's only 5 either. and i can't believe mine was 5.00.

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Ok Valps here it is this fish weighed 6.37 lbs on The Official MAFF Scale today at The Quaboag Tourney It won Lunker and is documented in the Tourney Results, the weigh in of this fish was also veiwed and can be confirmed by at least 15 other MAFF'ers in attendance.

Here is another view of her on the left , lol, with her sister

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Did you win ithe tourney as well Neil? I don't see anything posted, other than for Valps' BP card contest.

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:01 pm

wow thats nuts! looks like you had a great day. i hope you guys won.

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Win? He dominated!
I proud to say I netted every one of em. Lol

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:13 pm

jwall046

Win? He dominated!
I proud to say I netted every one of em. Lol

Yes we won,
Todays tournament was brought to you today by the phrase "ITS A GIANT" and the numbers 6.37 LMAO
Id like to thank my Net and Camera Man Jay Wallace!!

For real though I couldnt have done it without you Jay

BOAG HOG!!
The Infamous Sinista

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:46 pm

OH BOY! lol

really great fish by all, smoke nice smallie guy!

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links