biggz53

When you guys are flipping around docks and lay downs do you do it weightless? How do you go about selecting a weight and fall rate, little easier when flipping slop and goal number 1 is to get it the bait through.

i guess it depends. usually with pitching or flipping i'm thinking of weight - jig, or bullet weight of some sort. sometimes you want to give fish more time to see it and sometimes you want a very fast fall for a reaction strike. everything will affect fall rate - hook size weight size, plastic you have on etc. 3/8 oz. and 1/2 oz. weights are a good starting point for the basics. you'll have to go heavier for punching through matted vegetation.

another good way to get a reaction strike is purposely bringing the lure through the branches and hitting them. it's sort of like cranking - you'll get the reaction bite after the lure hits the branch.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:47 pm

You will get many different answers but FOR ME, when I an pitching a jig I use a 1/4oz prespawn. reason being is I want to give the fish a longer look/time to react to my falling bait in the colder water. Postspawn through the fall I use a 3/8oz jig for pitching.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:07 pm

stratos1966

You will get many different answers but FOR ME, when I an pitching a jig I use a 1/4oz prespawn. reason being is I want to give the fish a longer look/time to react to my falling bait in the colder water. Postspawn through the fall I use a 3/8oz jig for pitching.

Makes sense, looking around it seems mostly to do with water clarity and tempature. Do you know not go 1/2oz+ often?

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Most common is 3/8oz at least in new England.

If you flipping pads that a different story.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 pm

if punching, you have to go at least as heavy to be able to get it through the stuff. doesn't matter if you want to throw 1/4, 1/2, or even 1. if it can't get through, it can't get through.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:31 pm

makes sense thanks fellas. one last question regarding line. I see a lot of people going braid with a heavy fluoro leader....people seem to think the fluoro for visibility reasons, but if you have the confidence to throw a 3 foot leader in the slop why not just spool all fluoro?

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Less stretch and more sensitivity with braid. Flouro has almost the same stretch as mono.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:47 pm

in the slop? 100% braid for me. it's hard to see with all the slop down there and you're usually going for a reaction strike anyways unless you're pitching to the edges so if you are and it's ultra clear water, then you could go with fluoro or the braid / leader combo.

i have less confidence the more knots involved that's for sure. plus it's a pain re-tying. fluoro also has a tendency to snap with any kinks in the line. gotta re-tie a lot.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm with Sam on the leader knot thing. I'd cry if my knot slipped on a pig. Most of the water we fish around here is so stained or muddy we could throw braid all the time (although I don't). Like Sam said in the slop it's straight braid.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Yeah I have always tried directly on to braid and just used my jig/worm pole to flip the edges and other structure. I wasnt sure if there was a clear advantage to tying a leader for slop fishing.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Weeds = braid
Docks/trees = flouro

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:08 pm

jwall046

Weeds = braid
Docks/trees = flouro

That's about the size of it

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:22 pm

shawneramone

jwall046

Weeds = braid
Docks/trees = flouro

That's about the size of it

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:25 pm

biggz53

Yeah I have always tried directly on to braid and just used my jig/worm pole to flip the edges and other structure. I wasnt sure if there was a clear advantage to tying a leader for slop fishing.

65lb braid 100% percent of the time, and to answer the weight question i leave the house with a 3/4 oz tied on where ever I go, very rarely if ever do I go down in size, more than likely I go up (I'm talking flipping baits here not jigs), you would be surprised how fast a bass in 3 feet of water can react to and strike a bait that is falling, even the speed that a 3/4 oz set up falls.

Im just comfortable with throwing that weight It requires less effort on my behalf especially when that is all Im doing all day and I am progressively more efficient with accuracy as the weight of my set up goes up.

If I need it or want it to fall slower Ill thumb the spool on descent.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:30 pm

I ordered some tungsten weights for punching pads this season, both 1 and 1 1/2 oz. Just couldn't break through with the lighter stuff. Gonna go with braid (heavier for the slop), which is what I use primarily anyway.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links