So do you guys know of any good flipping and pitching reels that are cheap ?

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 am

Ma, they're kinda of expensive.. But you can find a regular fishing reel for pretty cheap?!ask Richard

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Any specific reel you would suggest i have no problem spending money ive realized with rods and reels you get what you pay for. Although there are a few exceptions to the rule.

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:03 pm

Yeah that's true I was hoping maybe somebody knew of a steal...do you know the gear ratio needed I was thinking 6.3 to 1

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm a shimano guy. So a Curado is hard to beat for pitching and flipping. There is a Curado 200G7 7:1 gear ratio on Ebay right now for $121.99 with free shipping. I like the 7:1 gear ratio because it allows for more casts throughout the day. The faster you can get the bait in and then back out again, the more casts you can make in a day. More cast= more fish.

You can get the Shimano Citica200g7 for $102. on Ebay right now as well. That reel is one step down from the Curado and IMO for $20 more, buy the Curado.

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:11 pm

stratos1966

I'm a shimano guy. So a Curado is hard to beat for pitching and flipping. There is a Curado 200G7 7:1 gear ratio on Ebay right now for $121.99 with free shipping. I like the 7:1 gear ratio because it allows for more casts throughout the day. The faster you can get the bait in and then back out again, the more casts you can make in a day. More cast= more fish.

You can get the Shimano Citica200g7 for $102. on Ebay right now as well. That reel is one step down from the Curado and IMO for $20 more, buy the Curado.

Rich I Love Shimano as well i have 2 curados now ones on my worm and jig rod and i love em there so smooth. The guy at bass pro shops told me theres really no difference between the curado and the citica but i havent used a citica. But i love the curados

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:28 pm

After a couple of conversations with the guys at Bass pro shops I treat their level of knowledge about slightly higher than the guy fishing at the ramp with worms who wants to give me advice on how to fish. I come here for knowledge

Oh ya, definitely high speed. Mines 7.0.1

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:33 pm

kizel13

stratos1966

Rich I Love Shimano as well i have 2 curados now ones on my worm and jig rod and i love em there so smooth. The guy at bass pro shops told me theres really no difference between the curado and the citica but i havent used a citica. But i love the curados

Rob, FWIW the curado has 5 ball berings compared to 4 in the Citica and the Curado has a Aluminum Magnumlite Spool that the Citica does not have.

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:36 pm

i'm partial to abu garcia especially for "heavy" techniques mainly b/c of the 20 lbs. of drag. you can find gen 3 revo STX on ebay for a great price. definitely go with high speed.

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Any idea what the max drag is with the curado and Citica?

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:08 pm

biggz53

Curado=15lbs
Citica=11lbs

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:30 pm

kizel13

biggz53

Curado=15lbs
Citica=11lbs

Correct depending on the model of Curado the older 100 series has a 9.5 lb drag and bigger 300's have up to 15.

6:3.1 Abu's have 24. 7:1.1 have 22

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:33 pm

So for flipping you want a bigger drag wheight ?

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:55 pm

ranger85

If your flipping into slop and weeds. You can flip to docks and other structure on a lighter duty reel/combo.

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:57 pm

ranger85

Correct, to be honest I flip and punch with 65 lb braid and lock the drag on my Abu completely down. If they can still pull drag ill thumb the spool

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links