If I may be so bold as to break out one of K-Man's old chestnuts here

Last edited by riverrat82 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Don't have problem with "getting the lead out". Its important that we all do our part to save our natural resources. But, give me an alternative!! With sinkers & spit shot you have some choices that's comparable to lead ($). With jigs all you have is tungsten, if I was a tournament fisherman I'd want the best. But, weekend anglers like a lot of us $5-6 per jig, that's gonna add up real fast when you got a tackle box full of jigs to replace! Feels like again its the consumer gettin SCREWED!!

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Ev'...I agree 100%...I've spent my whole 40yrs living in Massachusetts...as far as paying taxes...'been doing that since I was 12...I call it..."put your wallet firmly between your teeth and grab your ankles"....that said...I don't "Blame" the state or the feds or ANYONE else when things "change"...whether we "agree" or "disagree" it's a DONE DEAL...try t' look at it like this...we'll be the first generation to face this and we can use this opportunity to really teach the 'future' of fishing how important the ecology is...If ALL the water is poisoned where will we teach said "future"how to fish at all?I'm an ADRENALINE junkie...I WISH "we" could BUNJIE JUMP off all the higher local bridges...but I can't...'cause its "illegal"
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts tends to go OVERKILL with things like this...for "FACE SAKE" on the national stage....why couldn't they have gone with that that same "overkill" approach when it came to proposition420? hahahahahahahaa

fishingreek

Don't have problem with "getting the lead out". Its important that we all do our part to save our natural resources. But, give me an alternative!! With sinkers & spit shot you have some choices that's comparable to lead ($). With jigs all you have is tungsten, if I was a tournament fisherman I'd want the best. But, weekend anglers like a lot of us $5-6 per jig, that's gonna add up real fast when you got a tackle box full of jigs to replace! Feels like again its the consumer gettin SCREWED!!

Last edited by riverrat82 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:54 am

RR I have to totally disagree with your analogy Exclamation Getting away with it isn't the point Exclamation It should be based on your own beliefs and ethics Exclamation What is the main reason for this lead ban Question Supposedly to save loons Exclamation I'm reallly not buying into it and think there may be some underlying cause here. I live on the south shore and may see a few loons for a couple of days during the spring/fall migration. I really doubt that they are feasting on lead during this brief stay Exclamation Laughing Just do what you feel you need to do Exclamation

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:22 am

See...I'd thought a couple weeks ago we'd made a break through...The study used Loons as the main catalyst for change...the PCB levels...(which make human consumption of any nature DANGEROUS) is ALSO another category used in the equation...ya see...scientists are SO 'SMART' about things like this that they do YEARS of research before they EVER bring it to congress...this change is as much about arsenic levels being SO HIGH that they can kill other wildlife ---including YOU...I've thus far kept this as civil as I can...MAINLY because this "subject" is ACTUALLY against the terms of Service of the our site...it IS at the end of the day...a political conversation...and yet...my examples were OVERT with INTENT...we've become NUMB SKULLS and basic examples NEVER WORK...shock value pays off...I site:when a high school puts a "MADD" car out front in prom season...Don...you're like a metal plated walnut...If I can SOMEHOW crack the shell...a soft & tasty center awaits...just TRY to comply and sight unseen I'll just BELIEVE IN YOU....essentially...I'll "look the other way" either way...and if we ever DO meet up lakeside...I'll share some of my new COMPLIANT "Beaver Fevers"(Maffers making compliant AFFORDABLE options)with you...I PROMISE !but, I WILL have to STILL "soap-box" it a little bit hahahahahaha

don51

RR I have to totally disagree with your analogy Exclamation Getting away with it isn't the point Exclamation It should be based on your own beliefs and ethics Exclamation What is the main reason for this lead ban Question Supposedly to save loons Exclamation I'm reallly not buying into it and think there may be some underlying cause here. I live on the south shore and may see a few loons for a couple of days during the spring/fall migration. I really doubt that they are feasting on lead during this brief stay Exclamation Laughing Just do what you feel you need to do Exclamation

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:12 am

I pulled this off wikipedia so it must be true

Food and feeding
Loons find their prey by sight. They eat mainly jigs, supplemented with spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and similar mid-sized aquatic tackle. Specifically, they have been noted to feed on jig trailers, spro frogs, senkos, yum lizards, and gulp leeches. They prefer clear lakes because they can more easily see their prey through the water. The loon uses its pointy bill to stab or grasp prey. They eat lead headfirst to facilitate swallowing, and swallow all their prey whole.
To help digestion, loons swallow small sinkers from the bottoms of lakes. Similar to grit eaten by chickens, these gastroliths may assist the loon's gizzard in crushing the hard parts of the loon's food such as the fiber brush guards of lead jigs and the bones of frogs and salamanders. The gastroliths may also be involved in stomach cleaning as an aid to regurgitation of indigestible food parts.

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:47 am

i just called bass pro to see what they hav to offer for jig heads that are non lead. the guy said they havent recived any non lead jig heads. am i correct that i cannot use a 1/4oz jig head w/a3-4" grub on it

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 am

If there's this much confusion about the new rules, there is something wrong with it! Don't get me wrong, I am all for clean waters, healthy fisheries, and saving a couple of loons along the way... but it should be a little more clear.
I got a bunch of gift certificates for x-mas for BPS that I wanted to use, but didn't want to waste my money on stuff I couldn't use. What I interpreted from the MA Wildlife site is that lead weights under 1oz could not be used... So I am going to try steel, anyone use them as of now? Heard they were quite large. The way I read it spinnerbaits will be okay, which is good I have a bunch I have yet to use. But sounds like jigs, regardless of weather its just a jighead or a skirted jig are no longer allowed. Is that correct? Not too thrilled about that one, not that it's the end of the world but I do have quite a bit of $$ worth of jigs.
I guess in summary, I am going to try to follow this as best as I can, get rid of my worm weights and replace them with steel, continue using my spinner baits.. and since I have yet to find a good affordable alternative to replace my jigs and am not 100% sure about them I will hold on to them and take my chances until clarification.
Sorry for the long post, last Q I was thinking of... I have yet to fish any tournaments but really hope to this year, I'm sure a lot of people will probably ignore this new rule... any word of consequences if they are using lead during tournaments?

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:36 am

jack said this to me not too long ago and puts it pretty well...can a loon really tell the difference between a 1/2 and 3/8 oz jig? i'm all for it as well but they aren't implementing the issue correctly and going with arbitrary rules. i guess it's a good thing i don't really use jigs.

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:06 am

Jay Wallz....see whatchya did ? hahahahahahahahahahaha unreal...slowly creeping up on "topic of the year" on next years year-end River Rat Review(Top 10) And it's ONLY JANUARY....hahahahaha funny as hell...by the time The Spawn hits we'll ALL be prepared and educated and in the end...this is what MAFF does best...and if "you" see a "brother---or sister" using lead...don't bother lecturing...just use the direct education approach....share some compliant pieces with 'em...SHARE...ANOTHER great attribute of "MAFF/ERz"

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 pm

I had to gear up with high speed reels to fish where there are loons!!!!
If you ever seen a loon chasing down your bait under water you better reel like a mo f#@ker!!!! They are fast! And if you get a good hookset it's game on!!!!! Especially when they clear water!! it's kinda like froggin except on steroids!!!
So i guess my new year resolution is to gear up with high speed reels and Beaver fever baits! This way i hopefully can outrun them damn loons and if they do bite they won't like the taste of beaver fever baits!!!!

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:12 pm

i tried dicks sporting goods for 1/4 oz jig heads (non lead) they dont hav anything in stock either

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 pm

basshunter62

i tried dicks sporting goods for 1/4 oz jig heads (non lead) they dont hav anything in stock either

If you want to go lead free and haven't seen BEAVER FEVER baits check em out. Pricing seems good quality looks top notch! I have a order in to them for all new jigs and drop shot weights. I haven't seen em 1st hand but I'm planning on them being awesome!
This will save you the time and money from driving to other places and finding lead only. it would be nice for stores to comply with the law as well and make it easier for the consumer too.But they haven't yet.So buy BEAVER FEVER if he has any in stock.

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm

ya seems like dan is the only one in mass that wants to comply thanks jay..........

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 pm

basshunter62

ya seems like dan is the only one in mass that wants to comply thanks jay..........

Welcome, I'm selling all my lead stuff asap.

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:26 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links