Its

Last edited by nofx99 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm FRENCH ! It's in my DNA to eat fish

that explains everything hahaha

just kidding - but seriously whats the discussion : lead is bad - what we ve seen on the romans they used lead piping - its not about the idiot using it its about the heavy metal it leaves back in the water for everybody, i'd love for my grandkids to be able to fish something else then tincands and plastics from wormpackaging

i mean i seriously enjoyed my asbestos pipe in the morning - but research shows its bad so i quit it

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Yup!!!! lead is bad, but that was not my point.

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:14 pm

No question that lead is not the way to go.
I'm in the restaurant business & lately there have been a lot of towns & cities jumping on the "trans fat free" band of products with trans fats. My beef is why is the consumer always gettin the s*** end of stick! Shouldn't the manufacturers of products such as trans fat oils or lead fishing lures & sinkers be responsible too! If there was an affordable alternative I'm sure no one would be complaining!

Just my 2 cents.

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:50 pm

The lead weights have been around for years and years Exclamation This is just more MA politics kicking in! It's not going to change a thing! If you do not want to use lead sinkers, then fine, don't! Riverrat, I hope you live to be 100 Exclamation Laughing Yeah, and isn't the lead ban about protecting wildlife, not people Question

Last edited by don51 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:03 pm

I try to be environmentally responsible and protect our natural resources for future generations. What bothers me is the amount of tackle and lures that this law renders obsolete when fishing in Massachusetts. Not sure how much of it can be replaced with lead free alternatives. The resellers don't make it easy as I've yet to see sort options on their web sites that include "lead free". The sinkers are easy and I have switched over to mostly lead free but all the other tackle will be a challenge but I will comply.

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:20 pm

don51

The lead weights have been around for years and years Exclamation This is just more MA politics kicking in! It's not going to change a thing! If you do not want to use lead sinkers, then fine, don't! Riverrat, I hope you live to be 100 Exclamation Laughing

This is SO FAR BEYOND bein a hippie or a tree hugger EVERY SINGLE LAKE IN MASSACHUSETTS has OUTRAGEOUS PCB LEVELS---IT'S DISGUSTING

Last edited by riverrat82 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 pm

*Note: Lead sinkers DO NOT include lead-fishing related items including, but not limited to, artificial lures, jigs, lead-core line, keel trolling weights, or weighted flies.

All of our spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, spoons and other lures are ok as far as I can tell.

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:33 am

Shawn I think you're right about the spinners and jigs...since they have wires/longer hooks attached to them, the birds can't fit it down there throat, or at least it won't mistake it for something edible. It's the same in New Hampshire...I was up there a bunch last summer and talked to some guys up there about it when I was fishing. That's basically what they said.

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:13 am

volume4130

Shawn I think you're right about the spinners and jigs...since they have wires/longer hooks attached to them, the birds can't fit it down there throat, or at least it won't mistake it for something edible. It's the same in New Hampshire...I was up there a bunch last summer and talked to some guys up there about it when I was fishing. That's basically what they said.

See...I think we're more talking about the use of and loss of WEIGHTS not BAITS...and for the reasons Ted mentions here ...it's a matter of science...it could be that a loon or an eagle could mistake a weight for a pebble and ingest it...HOWEVER nature isn't STUPID ..."here's a BIG ASS shiny thing I'm not familiar with...I think I should eat it..." ya see what I mean though...man one sure way to get the "OLD-TIMERZ" going on MAFF is tell them they might hafta spend some dough to stay compliant...WOOOOOO it's like tellin' a 5 year old they can't have a cookie...the minute you turn your back---the whole cookie jar is EMPTY hahahahahahahaaaa And I've learned that desiring compliance makes me a tree huggin hippie in here ---if you guys only knew ....!

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:02 am

Losing a lead weight in a pond/lake is a very small part of the BIG problem I see affecting our waters. How about the guys that deep six cans and bottles or the guys who get birdsnests and strip off yards of line and throw it in the water or leave it on the bank Question Not to mention the trash that people leave behind after their outings for others to clean up Exclamation Do you fish plastics? In clear waters that is all you see littering the bottom : Yes, that kills fish Exclamation Sorry but I am more concerned about these issues than a lead sinker that will disappear into the mud Exclamation

This is SO FAR BEYOND bein a hippie or a tree hugger and only the truly careless won't comply...ya know what ...throw the lead Don...means nothing on the bigger landscape right ..."politics" is the cop out of a generation...don't like taxes...'politics' your wife didn't get a promotion at her job "politics" my son's a pill junky and get clean "politics...WHAT EVA DUDE
....I have this broad @ my job w/ the same mentality "Oh Well...you know...nothing will ever change around here ya know" ..."Yea...I know...IGNORANCE IS BLISS ---that's how we landed where we did...I've put more lead down range over my life time than most people you'll meet...I'm not anti-lead...I'm ANTI PCBz in EVERY SINGLE LAKE IN MASSACHUSETTS---IT'S DISGUSTING --but some just CANNOT see this yet

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:13 pm

don51

Losing a lead weight in a pond/lake is a very small part of the BIG problem I see affecting our waters. How about the guys that deep six cans and bottles or the guys who get birdsnests and strip off yards of line and throw it in the water or leave it on the bank Question Not to mention the trash that people leave behind after their outings for others to clean up Exclamation Do you fish plastics? In clear waters that is all you see littering the bottom : Yes, that kills fish Exclamation Sorry but I am more concerned about these issues than a lead sinker that will disappear into the mud Exclamation

This is SO FAR BEYOND bein a hippie or a tree hugger and only the truly careless won't comply...ya know what ...throw the lead Don...means nothing on the bigger landscape right ..."politics" is the cop out of a generation...don't like taxes...'politics' your wife didn't get a promotion at her job "politics" my son's a pill junky and get clean "politics...WHAT EVA DUDE
....I have this broad @ my job w/ the same mentality "Oh Well...you know...nothing will ever change around here ya know" ..."Yea...I know...IGNORANCE IS BLISS ---that's how we landed where we did...I've put more lead down range over my life time than most people you'll meet...I'm not anti-lead...I'm ANTI PCBz in EVERY SINGLE LAKE IN MASSACHUSETTS---IT'S DISGUSTING --but some just CANNOT see this yet

I completely agree that this is but a small problem in a society filled with problems. However, by saying use lead anyway, who will stop you etc..that is the same thing that the guy who tosses a can or a tire or a tv into the water says to himself. "Who cares if I do it? Who is gonna catch me..."

These are the rules, it is that simple. There is a reason for them, if anyone wishes to challenge that then please do. Reason and logic is a fine and respectable thing and if anyone can logically show that this rule is not needed then good. However, I am a firm believer in following the rules. If you do not think a rule/law is fair then do something about it to change it, don't just tell people not to follow it...

I find it funny that the same people who will complain about "illegals" fishing, litter bugs etc...will, in the same breath, condone the continued use of lead there by breaking this law. You either follow them or you don't, you cannot simply choose which ones suit your needs at the time. Each and every problem should be addressed..we should not ignore a problem simply because it is smaller then others.

That being said, I don't see the problem to be honest. I prefer non-lead as they rust, which I think gives my sinkers better camouflage. Wink

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:16 pm

yup

Last edited by nofx99 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm really not looking to get into a pissing contest with anybody on here, this is your own personal decision whether you want to continue using lead weight or not Exclamation Funny thing is, I hardly ever use it in that form Exclamation I rarely use a jig and will occasionally drop shot. I may have lost 2 drop shot weights on snags over the season. Like I said, there are plenty of other issues to debate, don't get your panties too bunched up over this one Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:35 am

Bought some steel worm weights last season cause I knew this lead ban was coming. Does anyone know if these can be painted to keep them from rusting? Or maybe any tips on keeping them rust free?

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:51 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links