fishingreek

Bought some steel worm weights last season cause I knew this lead ban was coming. Does anyone know if these can be painted to keep them from rusting? Or maybe any tips on keeping them rust free?

I have powder coated some steel bullit weights but not sure how long they will last. I did it late in the season but I do know you need to prime them first. One other way is to keep them in a baggie with WD-40 I do this with my salt water lures and it works fine also work as a sent.........for real
Jack

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:33 am

One option you can use/get are a variety of lead coatings. We use them a lot in carp fishing to help camo our rigs to the lake/river bed. Simple to use and a tub will go a long way. Like these from Wacker Bait and Tackle... about the 6th item down

I am guessing places like Bass pro prolly carry a host of coatings for jigs and the like that ya might find useful.

Also using harsh chemicals as a "scent" is prolly not the best idea, sure it will stop them from rusting but if every fishermen keeps putting all sorts of crap into the waters we won't have anything worth fishing for anymore Sad.

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Another question that I have is if the state were really serious about this wouldn't the recycling issue be addressed Question I don't see anything on MA Wildlife about the disposal of all this lead, and we are talking about a lot of lead Exclamation I just think this is another thing that got approved without much, if any thought put into it Exclamation

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Last edited by nofx99 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:14 pm

That's Taxachusetts!!!!!!

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:22 pm

What does this have to do with taxes?

On the recycle part I would venture to say..recycle into what?? Lead is not really used for much of anything anymore. Personally I'd suggest buying a pot, melting it down and making larger 1+ oz leads if your concerned about wasting it.

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:06 pm

I really don't care what it is recycled into Exclamation I feel the state is obligated to collect and properly dispose of the lead. To just tell people it is now illegal to use doesn't cut it. I'm sure there is some type of use for the lead other than it ending up in a landfill Exclamation I'm not worried about wasting it Exclamation Laughing It goes back to the original reason why it is being banned in the first place Exclamation

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:57 pm

That makes sense Don if everyone just throws it in the trash then what's the point

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:34 pm

The reason they are banning it is because wildlife, specifically various fowl that feed in lakes/waterways, are eating the lead and as it reacts during attempted digestion they are being poisoned.

In its normal state lead does not create an environmental hazard. It is stable and does nothing harmful to the earth. Sitting, buried in a dump, would not cause any environmental hazard..other then the space destroyed to create said dump. However, no water fowl will be eating it if it is buried in a dump, rats might now, or raccoons or etc...which is why I said you can take it upon yourself to recycle it into larger weights.

Now, lead that reacts with other chemicals via the body, via things like flouride in our water, and so on does break down/react and create a hazard. It is for various reasons that it has been slowly getting phased out of use.

The sad truth is that we, as humans, do so much damage on a daily basis that it is a surprise we even exist. We pollute with almost every action, we continue to over populate which in turn leads to destruction of all our natural resources, we contaminate our food, weaken ourselves as a species..I digress and this is not the place to get into a discussion on all of this, my point is there is no right action. There is no correct response to a problem that we created, there is only slow plodding steps forward until we can't plod along any more.

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:22 pm

IMO we should donate it ALL to state and local police firing ranges.Why not...the state IS responsible for this new* law right?...why dont we get to dump it all on them...JUST SAYIN

don51

Another question that I have is if the state were really serious about this wouldn't the recycling issue be addressed Question I don't see anything on MA Wildlife about the disposal of all this lead, and we are talking about a lot of lead Exclamation I just think this is another thing that got approved without much, if any thought put into it Exclamation

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:55 am

they passed the law in 2009, so they did give us a grace period to transition and use up our lead products. that period is now over.

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Called the BPS in Foxboro today to ask what they are carrying for lead free bass jigs. Told me as of right now nothing? The man said that they had been trying to get in touch with MASS wild life & game to clarify what the no lead jig restriction are. But, have not heard back from them. Also, said that in NH any jig under 1" is illegal. If that's not the case here, there really isn't much other than tungsten jigs for us. Email response I got from MASS wild life & game was any jig 1oz or less. Well that just SUCKS!!

Dan, looks like business for you is gonna be boomin!

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:39 pm

split shot,small weights,bullet sinkers,slip sinkers.i under stand that.but jjigs and spinnerbaits should be allowed.i don't think a loon will swallow any of those and if it did it would choke first.

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:33 pm

I just did a quick search and realized the difference in MA and NH laws.

NH law: The use of lead sinkers (1 ounce or less) and jigs (less than
1 inch along its longest axis) is prohibited in all freshwater

MA law: The use of any lead fishing sinkers and lead jigs weighing less than 1 ounce is now prohibited in all inland waters (freshwater) of the Commonwealth. In terms of this regulation, "lead sinker" or "lead weight" is defined as any sinker or weight made from lead that weighs less than 1 ounce. A "lead jig" is defined as any lead-weighted hook weighing less than 1 ounce. Spinnerbaits, buzzbaits are good to go.

So if you fish in NH, don't throw away those 1/2 oz jigs. I promise you they are at least an inch long. Considering that NH which led the lead ban but isn't banning the lead jig and the loon population is pretty healthy (see http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/Fishing_PDFs/Lets_Get_the_Lead_Out.pdf), I dont see why MA took it upon themselves to extend the ban. Also, I was wondering if this is any waterfowl had this problem, but considering that a lot of that lost tackle is in a little deeper water, the deep diving depth of a loon (100ft??) makes it a prime candidate to get this lure (I need to train and tie a loon on as my lure retrieval tool).

And for those who don't want to go the pdf above, some interesting facts from NH:

Before lead ban, 6 loons deaths per year (1992-1999) from lead (more from other causes I'm sure) and after 5 per year (2000-2006). Is the slight decrease from the ban? Are there still plenty of left over lead shot in the water? The number of deaths doesnt sound like much until you see that there is only about 140 nesting pairs (this may be accurate as of 2006?).

My view, its the law, I'll follow it and I agree its the right thing. But enforcing it will be tough considering there is only about 80 MEP statewide (at least thats what they told me about a year ago). Its one of the first budgets to get cut. Not sure why Lake Cochituate ALWAYS has a MEP at the launch. I've only ever seen them there and at Upper Mystic Lake launch. Plus, when he came over to check us, he asked (but we didnt have to show) our license and he did check registration. Will he check for lead next time, probably not. I imagine that this law is one that will be followed by those who want to and if you don't, you probably will never be questioned, asked, or inspected.

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:40 pm

Like I already stated in this forum it is a personal decision based on your own ethics. If your only reason for not using lead is the fear of getting caught, that should hardly be a concern. You either believe in the cause or you don't. The EPO's are stretched pretty thin and I doubt there is going to be an all out blitz checking tackle bags for lead Exclamation Laughing I wouldn't get myself all worked up over this. Personally, I am not throwing everything out that is lead, as I need to replace sinkers, shots, etc I will replace it with a non lead product.

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links