There is absolutely no chance a Peacock Bass could survive the current water temp at Webster, let alone the winter. The farthest north they can live is in Miami. Occasionally, if you have a warm winter, they work their way north to Fort Lauderdale, but all it takes a a few weeks of cool Florida weather (high of 70 and low of 45 for a few consecutive days) and they are floating.

65 is about the lowest water they can stand. One year they made it all the way to Okeechobee, but they all died a year later. Even in Miami they only bite in the mid-day, because it's the extreme northern end of their range.

Another interesting fact is that they spawn non-stop. Since they come from the equator, they don't have seasons (just rainy season and dry season), so if the water is stable, they spawn multiple times per year, and both fish guard the bed. They are really fun to catch and if you are ever in Miami go in the canals throw a Rapala. You won't be disappointed.

interseting, article i found

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:49 am

I think i read the same article. They also said throw the rapala for tilapia.

Last edited by jwall046 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:29 am

Well there ya have it folks...it must be a demented koi or something

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:30 am

no chance a Peacock Bass, NO CHANCE of ANY bass in this lake, 3 trips the past 2 weeks at this place for a total of 5 bass, one rainbow trout and 2 picks. I am going out of my mind!

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:09 am

CLEARLY JohnnyBags knows this species--he just gave us everything but it's scientific name--if he's sayin there's no way---then there's no way---I seen BIGFOOT a few times a week or so ago and he was all like "Yo--you got ring dings"?----if ya feel me ?....
Over the past month Websta has had more worms in her than a old west brothel on payday --If you boys ain't careful one of you is gonna get ABDUCTED by a gang of really PISSED OFF BASS...

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:00 am

SHAWN YOUR RIGHT !!!IF THERE IS ONE TO WIN THIS YEAR IT'S THIS ONE!!! THE BEST OF THE BEST 2011 MAFF CHAMPS TO WHOEVER WINS THIS ONE!!!!I'M WITH YA I WANNA WIN THIS ONE PRETTY BAD MYSELF AND ALSO IM GLAD THIS IS YOUR BEST YEAR FISHING BRO HOPEFULLY WE CAN HAVE ANOTHER GREAT YEAR IN 2012!!!

GOOD LUCK

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:27 am

If ya ask me--and I know ya didn't ---ya all should just all kick me the entry fees---you all head out --fish....get soakin wet ...and when ya get back to weigh in .... I'll have bought you all some nice fish at the local super-market ---I'm mean isn't that what you're ALL doin' all this fishin for?
AVOID the MIDDLE MAN ---go to price chopper hahahahahaahahaaa---
next you'll all be tellin me you're fishin for peace of mind! ! ! ---let's see ya ALL MAN UP here. . .skip the entry fee ENTIRLEY and fish it for THE BOASTING RIGHTS instead...take a pool on the money ---and all meet to get fat n wasted at one of MANY local places right there in Websta...I know A FEW who'd love to have the business--and it speaks VOLUMES on the character on anyone who sees this as a good thing---and I'm sure Jonny and Smoke would throw a F****N bash and a half if given a minute to think of something hahahah
-------------I just like to stir that pot--yea. . .thats my thing...thats wwhat I do . . .

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 am

I agree with dave from Wista!!!!

we never had our BBQ this year, maybe next year!

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:10 am

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:11 am

moved

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:51 pm

I WILL TELL YA WHAT!! I AGREE THE POSTING OF THE MAFF CHAMPION IS THE TITLE I WANT .YOUR RIGHT THO WE COULD DEF HAVE A BASH WITH 800 TO 900 BEANS LOL

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm

ONE MORE THING THAT PIC FROM WESTER LAKE IS DEF A PEACOCK BASS AND s*** IF SOMEONE CATCHES ONE I SAY WE COUNT IT AS A BASS LOL

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Justin

Happy Hookers lost a long time family friend this week and we will not be able to make the Webster tournament. We would like to thank evryone for another great season, maybe we will get to see some of you on the ice? Hope you guys have a great tournament and stay dry.

Thanks

Ed & Kyle
aka Happy Hookers

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:37 pm

johnny we can still do a bbq im so down with having one seeing how i didnt go to the last oneee

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:26 pm

there's no doubt that's what was chasing my worm then. sounds like a "fish story" but seriously, we had NO clue what it was. Thought about taking video of it since it was so crazy. they're in there for sure. a lot of nice fish! it's not about the money for me and it's fun competition with a great group of anglers here. i like that it's not serious and people just going out to win money. this isn't the flw or BASS. ed and kyle, i'm sorry for your loss. cya guys sunday. let's try to help each other out at this mess of a ramp / parking lot. hope we all crush em.

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links