as a former MAFF champion, LOL.... we were in a coleman crawdad with a 35 lb trolling motor when we won down in middleboro last year. no fishfinder, etc. just happened to fish the right spots that day. squeaked by the landlords by 2 ounces, lol. obviously, an off day for them, lol.

johnny and smoke have put together a great group for these tourneys. we have never felt out of place from our first tourney in a canoe to our current set up. i'd love to have a big expensive bass boat, but can't swing it right now. it's nice to be part of a group / tourneys where it's not a requirement. and there are times i miss having a canoe. the bigger you get, the more limits on where you can go.

and like ed said - it all comes down to having fun and thats definitely what we get out of this group and the tourneys.

Posted Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:01 pm

I literally can't wait for this tournament. I've been wanting to do one all summer and it's finally here. My last concern going into the tournament is my live well/air filter system. What do I need to keep my live well a live well and not a coffin. I was at bass pro yesterday and looked at a few things. One was just an aerator and another created a little fountain in the live well. Any suggestions would be great. Also, what size live well do I need? I have a built in compartment in my little boat but I'm not sure its big enough to hold all the Larry's I plan on hauling in.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:27 am

I used a cooler and bubble box just like they said and it seemed to work fine.We did unfortunately lose 1 of 4 fish,why I'm not really sure,the others were fine.Maybe he was just hooked alittle rough.I also took the suggestion of freezing some bottles of water to cool the water off if needed.The cooler I used was 22" I.D.,I think that was smokecity's recommended minimum.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:34 am

I just read that post you were referring to about the cooler and frozen water bottles. When he said 22 inches, is that just the length? The compartment in my boat is 23 in long, 11 in wide, and 8.5 in deep. You think that's big enough or should I bring a cooler?

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 am

22" was referring to the inside lenght of the cooler,your width and depth measurements seem alittle small ,better safe than sorry,I'd find a bigger cooler.Dead fish cost 6oz each

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:58 am

that's what I figured. Cooler it is. Gonna be cramped on that boat but collecting rent will make it all worth it.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:00 am

Haha confidence is a good thing.It was definately alittle cramped on my boat too but we made it work.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:01 am

We just rock a cooler as well, with a airrater...we also freeze between 6 and 8 bottles of water...and it really does wonders keeping the fish alive...

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:04 pm

That's what im talking about boys!!!WE WANNA KEEP THEM ALIVE BRO IT'S A SPORT AND ALSO 8OZ PENALTY PER DEAD FISH CAN HURT IF IT'S CLOSE SO FREEZE THOSE BOTTLES AND GET THAT AIRATOR IN THERE. I MYSELF HAVE A COOLER AND PUT A 2 AMP BILGE PUMP FROM HARBOR FREIGHT IN IT WITH A TUBE CONNECTED TO A SMALL PIECE OF P.V.C THAT I DRILLED HOLES IN AND IT WORKS GREAT.THEN I CONNECTED IT TO A SMALL 12 VOLT BATTERY 8 AMP HOURS FROM CABELAS IT COST $30. WHEN I'M DRIVING I GIVE THEM SOME AIRATION AND NON STOP GIVES ME 4 HOURS . NOW I JUST NEED TO FILL IT UP AGAIN HA HA . WE STARTED THE SEASON WELL THEN SLUMPED. HOPEFULLY WE CAN END IT STRONG. SEE YOU GUYS THERE ALWAYS FUN TO SEE EVERYONE WITH THEIR GAME FACES ON!!!! LET THE SMACK TALK BEGIN LOL!!! SMALL BOATS WILL RISE ONCE AGAIN

SMOKECITY BABY!!!! WHOOOOOOO

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks for the correction and that setup info.I'm thinking about getting this unit in the future,looks like the way to go for us cooler guys.40 bucks a BPS
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1293_100011000_100000000_100011000_100-11-0

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:41 pm

EXACTLY BRO THAT WILL WORK FINE .MY PUMP IS 500 G.P.H ALSO AND YOU CAN WIRE IT TO YOUR BATTERY FOR YOUR TROLLING MOTOR!! I NEED ALL THE JUICE I CAN GET SO I GO WITH THE SEPARATE LIL BATTERY. I GO FAR A WIDE WITH THAT PELICAN I'M SURE YOU GUYS SEE ME OUT THERE FAR FROM THE STARTING GATES HA HA

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Smoke brother, we gotta get that seperate "Cartopper Classic" up and going sometime. Just a one day thing though bro and keep it smaller on the fees. It is afterall just for fun and having to shell out money for the regular tourney and then another one in between can be a little stressful on the wallet. Not complaining man, just saying to use a little kindness when determining fees and keep it all simple. even make it shorter than the regular tourneys by an hour or two. Just some suggestions. Don't know what the other cartoppers think? See you all on the 29th! Cool

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:13 pm

I'm brand new at these so I'm not sure if my vote counts but,Imo,if your gonna have a six team tournament for 100 a boat,it should be winner take all.When I hear "classic",I think its like the superbowl,or at least special,lol,you know,for all the marbles,go big or go home.A one day event would save guys some bread on gas and maybe atrract a few more guys.just my .02.I'm sure guys will go both ways on this but just throwing it out there

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:01 pm

i bought a bubble box aerator for $8 at walmart last week. works on D batteries, comes with the tubing and air stone. we use a regular size beach cooler. i drilled a quarter inch hole in the top and run the tubing through that. works perfect. the hole isn't big enough to affect the temp inside the cooler, and the hose doesn't get pinched running it under the lid. we use a small pitcher to add some water when we get a fish.

this set up is great for canoes or small boats without a live well.

it's basically a small fish tank / aquarium. as long as the air stone is supplying air into the water, the fish will be fine.

smoke's ice pack concept is good for keeping the water temp cool, and you can always use the pitcher to remove old water and add fresh water.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:22 pm

how long will the batteries last us? should we grab some back ups?

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links