So according to everything i've read and watching, jigs are one of the best big bass baits and now I'm trying to suck up as much info on it as possible. Right now I have 4 spinning rods and I was wondering if there is an advantage to using a bait casting rod rather than spinning rod when jigging. Any of you guys have any experience with this?

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:59 pm

I prefer to throw the smaller spider type jigs on spin tackle. And the heavier football and grass jigs on my baitcaster.The rod has alot to do with it too.baitcasters used for pitching and flipping heavier jigs generaly sit on longer, faster action rods.Imo a skirted bass jig isnt half the bait with out a trailer of some sort.I used to like the old school #11 pork espesially in colder water but they were messy and the jars always stick shut and with all the great plastics out,they're pretty much obsolete now.This topic could go on forever.One more thing to consider about jigs is the jig head itself,different styles for different scenarios.

Last edited by bam on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:36 pm

faster action as in heavier action? I have a mendium-heavy action rod that i don't use just because I couldn't cast very far with it, is that he type of rod i should be using for pitching and flipping?

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:43 pm

atelian

faster action as in heavier action? I have a mendium-heavy action rod that i don't use just because I couldn't cast very far with it, is that he type of rod i should be using for pitching and flipping?

Faster means a heavier wieght rod in other words the stiffer the tip section the faster the tip moves and the less it flexes,If you used a light action rod with a big heavy jig,the rod would bend alot but wouldnt deliver alot of hooksetting power.The long heavy rods are to make longer pithches and flips but most importantly they create alot of leverage to get a fishes head up and stay up when pulling them out of heavy slop or timber.

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:51 pm

bam nailed it i think. to throw a traditional jig with a skirt or jig head, you typically want to use a baitcast reel and rod. the reel b/c you usually can fish with heavy gear and have more power. you can also use tactics like pitching and flipping. jigs are usually thrown in cover. something 7' or longer with MH or H power with F action. i used those since that's what you'll see for the rods. there is so much stuff out there but generally you want to think of the type of cover or environment you're fishing.

2 basic types are football jigs and a flipping or grass jig. football are usually used in less weedy areas with a lot of rocks. the others are for heavy cover and are designed to penetrate the thick stuff. they also glide over structure easily like tree branches and don't get hung up much.

don't worry about swim jigs for now

you also havae to consider skirt types, weights, and trailers like bam said. i don't use pork but always use a good soft plastic. again, 2 basic types are ones that flap, and ones that don't and have a slimmer profile. both are used in different situations.

also, a lot is personal preference. i saw this video the other day and i think it would be worth the watch for you. send me a PM if want specifics like what to get as a "beginner" to jigging as I recently never had any and now have all sorts of stuff.

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-videos/jig-fishing/

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm

atelian

like sam said those technique are usually a power type fishing thats why the heavey and x-heavy poles and terminal,they are made to fish the nastiest stuff on the water.the lenght is for leverage and if you understand flipping having more line lenght out means you can flip to not only longer targets but deeper ones.you can pitch and flip with any thing imo as long as it matches the cover.MH would be considered on a little light for the heavy stuff but you could use it for now.My advice is to get a good selection of jigs and fish them.You'll learn what you need to have and have to do the best that way imo

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:57 pm

exactly - you can match the rod with the type of cover. i'll use a MH sometimes when the cover is sparse or it's jigging in the rocks. i use the H for the slop and when throwing jigs into fallen trees etc.

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:11 pm

what test line do you use?

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:12 pm

got your PM i'll give you more info. when i get home but it depends. 40 lb braid or higher for thick junk, 15 fluoro or so for open water jigging like in the rocks.

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Here it is boys, bitsy bugs they are small mouth jigs hook it up with ur favorite trailer, and check out the size of the pigs u catch,work it with short quick pulls that's Jimmy's tricks of the trade. lol. I always have a rod with a blk and blue jig all of my pigs have been caught on jigs their proven. ice fishing ,striperfishing, cod.

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Those Bitsy Bugs can be deadly with or without a trailer, good go to bait for smallies try (clear with black flake) . You may also want to try small hair jigs. I have found the brighter colors seem to work best for smallies ( brown / yellow , black / orange and of course black and blue). Personally i throw jigs with a bait caster with either 10 or 14 lb mono depending on the weight of the jig with a 6.5 to 7' med / heavy Falcon rod. Not sure why but it seems like the bass that hit jigs are usually of better quality?

Good Luck !!

Ed

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:00 pm

I too have been trying to figure out jigs this year. Haven't had much success, but also haven't really given it an honest try. let me try to get some things straight:

the grass jig is a more pointed shaped head as opposed to football's football shaped head?

when you fish the grass jigs, you pitch/flip them into pockets in the weeds like throwing a senko? the bass hit on the fall?

these bitsy bugs are just smaller versions of regular jigs?

do you use these jigs all year, or are they better at certain times of the year?

I need answers!! haha

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:31 pm

I have'nt tried the bugs,but I definately will.I agree with Ed's hair jig suggestion for smallies

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:38 pm

i have caught huge fish on bitsy bugs, i mean huge!all largemouth. that and a yums craw pappi or a chigger craw

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:54 pm

volume4130

I too have been trying to figure out jigs this year. Haven't had much success, but also haven't really given it an honest try. let me try to get some things straight:

the grass jig is a more pointed shaped head as opposed to football's football shaped head?

when you fish the grass jigs, you pitch/flip them into pockets in the weeds like throwing a senko? the bass hit on the fall?

these bitsy bugs are just smaller versions of regular jigs?

do you use these jigs all year, or are they better at certain times of the year?

I need answers!! haha

i agree with ed as well.

yes, the grass jig is more pointed to cut through the cover. strike king hack attack is a good example. when pitching and flipping, yes, you are dropping the jig as silently as possible with as little splash as possible right into a specific spot.. sometimes you're throwing into a clump of weeds, sometimes punching pads / mats, and also pitching into heavy cover or structure like into fall tree branches. yup, throw it right in there and don't worry about hang ups. i'd say the bass crush it most of the time on the fall at least in my experience. this is b/c you're really going for a reaction strike most of the time. if they don't, it's sometimes right after it hits the bottom.

yes, the bitsy bug is basically a smaller version in the strike king line. a lot of people use them for smallies but they work on lmb as well especially if they're looking for something that has a smaller profile.

i think people use jigs heavily in the spring and fall, especially when its not too hot or cold because they're great for really aggressive bass. but they work year round. when pitching, you're pitching to specific spots mostly and going for the reaction strike. in the dog days of summer you can pitch and punch the slop and drop your bait right on an unsuspecting bass and get it to crush the jig. you're not casting an insane distance like a crankbait although you can cast jigs and drag it / hop it on the bottom but that's a different technique. same thing for the swim jig.

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links