atelian

I would use 40-50lb test to tie her to the bed posts or at least thats what I use when dealing with the thick stuff.

And back to real fishing: what are the best colors for jigs for around here. I was told black, blue, brown and red. Thoughts?

hahaha you learn quick lol I love black and blue any watermelon or browns,pretty much I just use a natural color.white is good in grass though.Match your trailer if any or go the other way and contrast it

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:16 pm

bam

atelian

I would use 40-50lb test to tie her to the bed posts or at least thats what I use when dealing with the thick stuff.

And back to real fishing: what are the best colors for jigs for around here. I was told black, blue, brown and red. Thoughts?

hahaha you learn quick lol I love black and blue any watermelon or browns,pretty much I just use a natural color.white is good in grass though.Match your trailer if any or go the other way and contrast it

What would be the ideal scenario to matching the color as opposed to contrasting it? And what effects would that have?

You guys are good! Really good!

- Curtis

ps - you guys are good.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:19 pm

well,your profile say you've been at it for decades and decades and your all about jigs so why dont you tell the class.I know i can always learn something.nice grouper

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:04 pm

bam

well,your profile say you've been at it for decades and decades and your all about jigs so why dont you tell the class.I know i can always learn something.nice grouper

Decades and decades the wrong way! lol!! I'm trying to become the worlds best fisherman. I have a worlds best dad mug but my son told me he was kidding. Why i oughta!!!!

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Laughing well i think i'm getting roped but the color contrast can be a change up,something different to look at. Also you can "tune" your jig to the water conditions by experimenting with color.Did you ever see a black worm or jig then they completely color the ends or claws chartruese,thats pretty contrasting.By the way,those are grouper are'nt they?

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:14 pm

black/blue is classic - most people's favorite. natural colors for clear water. you can also match the hatch.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:25 pm

yup...no different than any other bait as far as color selection

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:28 pm

i agree. everything i've read says match the color to the water conditions. dark colors for dark stained water. light colors for clear water.

i also started using jigs a lot more this year. i haven't caught any monsters on one yet, but a few decent fish. and a few times, that's all that seemed to work for the day.

i use them on a spin rod, most of the time casting into the shore just like using a worm or crawdad. 90% of the time they will hit it right away as it sinks to the bottom. i've also pitched them into heavy cover, trees, etc. a spin rod is good for skipping them under docks too.

as weedless as they claim to be, they will pick up some weeds. if i don't get a hit on the fall, i'll work it along the bottom for a moment. usually after a a short distance you get weeds and i'll bring it back in and start over.

there are a lot of videos on youtube and a ton of articles out there on different ways to use them. as with any lure, a lot of it comes down to what the fish is in the mood for that day. but it does seem to be the preferred bait for bigger bass.

you can also buy the kits that come with a group of jigs and matching trailers. i bought one a few weeks ago at bass pro. 12 jigs and matching trailers for $20 bucks.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:41 pm

i have to say that the strike king hack attack doesn't pick up many weeds at all on braid. the design is pretty good and it can be thrown into the heaviest stuff without worrying about pulling the gunk off all the time.

Posted Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:27 am

I'm a little late jumping in on this topic. I've had some luck fishin' a jig when the water is colder. But, have thrown it much since I've been catchin some nice fish on plastics. My favorite Tv show has 2 episodes on jig fishin, check it out it may help you?
http://www.lunkerville.com
Jighead part 1 & 2 enjoy!

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:13 am

get this:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_66623____SearchResults

everything you need - even a white one for swimming techniques, which most people still haven't caught on to...

Posted Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:54 pm

tony93

get this:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_66623____SearchResults

everything you need - even a white one for swimming techniques, which most people still haven't caught on to...

For $20 that looks like a great little deal right there.

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 pm

It was a hack attack at the concord, thanks for the complement mat. I just started fishing jigs this year ( actually,I started CATCHING fish with jigs this year). One of my favorite baits now. You just have to use it to figure its subtleties and applications, thus resulting in catching fish and gaining confidence in it. I have caught too many fish to count with them and they all were good, large fish including a 5-6 lber (estimation). The strike king hack attack is a great all around jig. It can be thrown in the heaviest cover, open water, or around rocky bottoms. The only time ive lost em is when they slide in between two rocks where a football head wouldnt help any either ( football heads are generally used around rocky bottoms.) And you eventually lose a few lures over the season anyways. But even so ive only lost 2 this season which isnt alot considering i use one just about every time i fish. I love jigs now and have caught fish all season long with them so far. The hack attack is a great one to learn with. I use rage tail chunks with em. Great luck to you!

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:52 pm

hack attack is my favorite.

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:53 am

My fav too. I love all strike king products.

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links