The bobber stops are something I want to try as well,I've used tooth picks alot and dont really like them,hard to get out and can damage the line.I use what I think they call Peg-Its,long tapered pieces of rubber that slide through the weight and you just trim any exess.They dont work well with weights that have a line guide through them like alot of the tungsten weights have.Another stop thats worth checking into are Smart-Stops by tru-tungsten

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 am

I was talking with my friend's brother about this stuff the other day and he mentioned something about weights that tighten themselves on the line when you pull them up the line. I might just be making this up but I'm gonna ask him about it and let you guys now.

One other thing I've been wondering is do you only fish jigs when you are flipping or pitching? Do you ever just cast normally? If so, does it work. If not, why not?

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:17 am

Absolutley,I cast lots of jigs,twin tail hulas on a mushroom or football are one of my go to baits.Like i said flippin and pithching is usually for fishing thick,heavy cover.Not always though,alot of guys hit docks and peirs like this not to mention skipping things like tubes(they're a jig).If your fishing of shore cover like weed edges and rock piles, your casting.Same with swim jigs

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:27 am

gotcha, thanks bam. I will conquer jigs by the end of the fishing season, that's my goal.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:30 am

I'm sure you will.Alot of times jig fishing isn't alot different than fishing worms.And imo the best time for fishing jigs is right around the corner

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:38 am

this has been a great thread, for the most part, I'm actually excited about trying jigs again soon after not having much confidence in them. I suppose its time to give them an honest try!

Thanks for all the info fellas.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:52 am

bam thanks for the input about the toothpicks and pegs. you confirmed what i've heard before and i was looking at the smart stops the other day. screw locks will be ok except for tearing up baits.

i also agree about the twin tails...smallies absolutely crush them. you definitely can cast jigs and a lot of people do this especially when throwing football jigs along rocky areas like drop offs or points. hop it, jump it, or drag it along the bottom. swim it too or rip it through the grass....whatever works.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:00 am

perfect, it sucks now thinking back on all the spots that would be perfect for jigs where I knew there were fish and didn't catch any.

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:55 am

your welcome,sam and Ed added alot too.I'm not an expert by any means,glad it helped and atelian be positive and get back to those spots with some jigs...........they're bigger now

sorry Ed,almost forgot you lol

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:51 pm

Hey guys,

New poster, long time fisher. I have hadn't had much success doing the jig. I only seem to catch the 1's or 2's on the man scale. Just hideous. How do I catch the 9's or 10's that I see my friends take home sometime? I think I need to fix my moves. Or, roofies? Does that mean anything to you guys? I think I heard that once and didn't know what it meant.

Thanks,

Curtis

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Hahaha the best way I know is too give yourself the roofie......BANG a 2 is now a 10...easy,next

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I would use 40-50lb test to tie her to the bed posts or at least thats what I use when dealing with the thick stuff.

And back to real fishing: what are the best colors for jigs for around here. I was told black, blue, brown and red. Thoughts?

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:33 pm

curtismcmillon

Hey guys,

New poster, long time fisher. I have hadn't had much success doing the jig. I only seem to catch the 1's or 2's on the man scale. Just hideous. How do I catch the 9's or 10's that I see my friends take home sometime? I think I need to fix my moves. Or, roofies? Does that mean anything to you guys? I think I heard that once and didn't know what it meant.

Thanks,

Curtis

Welcome to the forum Curtis! While I can't answer your question I'm sure there will be plenty who can. If you keep at the jigs I am quite sure you start seeing 3, 4, 5 lb fish very soon. From what I understand 9 or 10 lber's are lifetime catches here in Mass. But then again jigs seem catch the big fish so you just may get some of those 9 or 10 lber's.
What I want to know is, what are those monster fish you caught in your personal icon???

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:34 pm

bam

Hahaha the best way I know is too give yourself the roofie......BANG a 2 is now a 10...easy,next

Wait wait, im confused. I thought a roofie was a type of bobber. Like, so the jig stays to the roof of the water? I am new to jigging and really dont know how to do it.

How do I give myself a roofie? And how far away from the jig should I tie it. Is the "bed post" atelian mentioned the tip of my boat? I just don't want to bust my line early.

Thanks guys!

- Curt

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:38 pm

[quote="towelie"]
curtismcmillon

Hey guys,
your personal icon???

That was taken from a boat trip my cousin Adam took. I forget what they are called, but I think they were sunfish. Sunfish or marlin (like the baseball team lawlz)

I think he jigged them good!!!

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links