Have you guys ever tried the zoom horney toads I have never fished the soft plastic type frog before I usually throw the hollow body type I just want to know which you guys prefer

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

I like zoom horny toads best. I work them fast across the surface and personally have better luck than hollow body frogs.
Hint: use biggest hook allowable and skin hook the point.
These tear up easy but i save all my frogs and repair them later at home.

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:31 pm

i love horny toads i always use the white ones they definetly catch fish

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:39 pm

The problem I have with hollow body is I get a bad hook up ratio I get tons of strikes I just can't hook up

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 pm

I never used soft plastic frogs before.

But with hollow bodied frogs I've notice.
A small bass with hit through the slop. And you miss it.
But when a hang smashes the bait it engulfs it resulting better odds of hooking a big fish.

I've had great success with live target field mouse and frogs

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:57 pm

I personally dont like the zoom horney toads. I use stanley ribbit frogs on an EWG 3x gami with a belly weight. IMO better action than the zoom frog.

http://www.fishstanley.com/ribbit.html

Koppers make the best hollow body too

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks guys it makes sense that it could be small bass missing it is there any certain colors you guys like to use

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:17 pm

With the hollow body frogs I like to stick with black or white(spro). Koppers, I stick with green/yellow. For the stanley ribbit frogs I throw whatever was on sale last. I dont think color matters much.

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm going to pick up some Stanley ribbits and zoom horney toads I can't wait for the ice to thaw and get back to fishing

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:53 pm

you gotta throw the live target hollow belly frogs! they are softer than others and they are more realistic than any other but you have to let them take it longer so hold off on setting the hook as soon as you see the explosion weigh till you feel the weigh of the fish!! and i've noticed that the smaller fish make more of a splash but the bigger ones just slurp it down!! your hook up ratio will go up when you figure out how long you need to wait to set the hook

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Horny toad ah horn horny toad ya...

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 pm

two words.. rage toad!!! they are in my opinion the best soft plastic frog out there, they are a buzz frog because of the crazy kicking action the rage tails create, they come in great realistic patterns and have the strike king coffe scent which supposedly fish love but i like it cause it masks the smell of my tobacco fingers lol. as for hollow bodies im not a huge fan of the live target frogs , im more of a sexy frog man myself but they are basically the same thing and 4 bucks cheaper Smile

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:19 pm

If your thinking of using rubber fogs this year check out mayobaits.com . This guy makes some sick buzz frogs, he has new ones for this year too. You could try taking the skirt off a buzzbait and putting that on. Crazy action. Also if you want a hollow frog there is only one, Jackal lobee frog. I have used almost every hollow body frog on the market, its my favorite technique and these are top. Kind of expensive but as with all things in life-you get what you pay for.

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:31 pm

For hollow bodies I prefer the boo yah pad crasher there 6 bucks I'm just going to have to wait for the fish to take the frog I hope now that I have a nice frog set up I hope it helps..btw what kind of hooks do you use for the rage toads?

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:54 pm

ranger85

btw what kind of hooks do you use for the rage toads?

5/0 gamakatsu superline ewg worm. i tried the trokar hooks with them but i dont like using trokars on any bait that i like to skin hook cause the stupid 3 sided cutting point just slices its way back out after the first cast like a hot knife threw butter lol this is why i will never use any trokar swimbait hooks cause i like to skin hook my swims but i also dont like to have to change my bait after every friggin cast cause the whole back is sliced open lol

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:24 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links