Name 2 fishing related things you bought for the 1st time. One that you loved and one you would not buy again. I'll start.

Love: Koppers Live Target frogs. Last year was the 1st year i used them, switching over fully from the Spro. They skip better, come through the cover better and i find them more durable then the Spros

Dislike: 6" BBZ slow sink swimbait. I don't understand this bait. IT must have some bad ju ju. It looks SICK coming through the water, looks exactly like a herring too. I have given it a decent amount of time and never caught a fresh water bass with it. I did have a big striper crush it and straighten out the hooks but that was during a blitz and the fish probably wold have hit a burn match.

Love: Trokar hooks. Some people dislike them. I love them. Super super sharp. I use them for flipping and pitching creature baits and other soft plastics. All i do is apply pressure when i feel a pick up and the hooks sets in the fishs mouth with ease.

Dislike: The Owner Yuki bug soft plastic bait. Loved the look of it. Thought it would have a few different uses for me. I have gone through 2.5 of the 3 pack I bought. Not even a tap. I have flipped them, carolina rigged them, drop shot them..... Nothing!!

Lets hear from the rest of you!!!

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:20 am

Love-my boat. If I could do it over again I probably would have gone right for the tracker knowing what I know now but that boat was a perfect starter.

dislike: Quantum KVD series cranking rod. My first rod made just for cranking. Within the first week a guide insert broke in half. I didn't notice it until I had 2 line breaks on hooksets. I returned it for a new one and after about 2 months the insert fell out of the top eye. I expect more for 100 bucks

Love-BPS pro Qualifier baitcast reel. So much so I bought 2 more

Dislike-BPS pro qualifier baitcast reel. I've been experiencing anti reverse bearing failure in cold weather.

Love- BPS pro qualifier rain gear. Hands down the best rain gear I've ever had

dislike-Walmart marine batteries- they suck

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:32 am

Good thread!

Not preferred:
I bought a quantum baitcast reel tried it for about 15 minutes and returned it for a quality Diawa reel. I will never buy another quantum product.
Berkley fluorocarbon

Love:
Abu Garcia,Diawa or Shimano reels
Northern bass supply once said buy the best reel you can afford and you won't be disappointed. my 1st reel was $225.00 and 13 yrs later it still kicking ass.
Co-polymer line

Last edited by jwall046 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 am

Love - My MinnKota Talon. This is by far my best purchase for fishing.

Dislike - Berkley Floro line....JUNK

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:49 am

jwall046

Good thread!

Hate:
I bought a quantum baitcast reel tried it for about 15 minutes and returned it for a quality Diawa reel. I will never buy another quantum product.

Love:
Northern bass supply once said buy the best reel you can afford and you won't be disappointed. my 1st reel was $225.00 and 13 yrs later it still kicking ass.

Hate is a strong word. We prefer dislike

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 am

shawneramone

jwall046

Good thread!

Hate:

Love:

I'll edit sorry Cool
i actually don't dislike anything. i don't prefer Cool

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 am

Like: Sunline FX2 Braid. 60lb. Made the switch from Powerpro and Suffix for my frog and flipping stick and couldn't be happier with it. Gained considerable casting distance and the line is super durable.

Dislike: My boat - I was in a rush to buy my first bassboat and didn't want to take a loan so I skimped on size with a 16' 70hp. Great peace of mind not having payments but not realistic for bigger lakes. Next time I'll do it right with a 19' 200hp.

Like: Gloomis rods. Had fished Shimano crucials and cumaras in the past but bought a bunch of loomis rods this year and fell in love with them. As long as I can keep my discount these will be the only new rods I buy.

Dislike: Trilene 100% fluoro. Can't even compare it to Seaguar invisx/abrazx or Sunline FC sniper

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:06 am

jwall046

shawneramone

jwall046

Good thread!

Hate:

Love:

I'll edit sorry Cool

LOL I'm just playing. I started to write hate too

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 am

shawneramone

jwall046

shawneramone

jwall046

Good thread!

Hate:

Love:

I'll edit sorry Cool

LOL I'm just playing. I started to write hate too

Im laughing. see -

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 am

Hate is a strong word I don't hate anyone or anything.... except Cilantro. I cannot stand that herb. Disgusting!!

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 am

This is a good thread though. I've already have new options for line. And Jay confirmed what I suspected about Quantum. I wasn't going to base my opinion on this rod but now hearing about a reel I will avoid Quantum products

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am

You hate Cilantro too? Can't stand it & I'm from San Diego (Mexican food lover).

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:43 am

What about Cilantro??

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:44 am

Like: sufix performance braid. Like Joe I switched over to this from Power pro. I have not tries the sunline.

Like: Mustad grip pin hooks. No more baits falling down the shaft ( yes I said shaft) of your hook.

Dislike: Terminator spinnerbaits. Yes the wire arm does not bend but they do snap right in half.

Dislike: Koppers live target jerkbaits and crankbaits. I was suprised at how ineffective these have been for me. Again they are super realistic looking but for whatever reason, have not produced a single fish for me.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 am

i can't agree enough with a lot of people here. i may have to keep a running list since if we're not limiting things.

Like: G. Loomis NRX. Worth every cent. Sunline FC Sniper fluoro. High end Abu Garcia. Hack Attack heavy cover flipping hooks and similar hooks with welded eyes and plastic holders for snell knots.

Dislike: Quantum reels. Junk. Stock hooks on most baits. Living in an apartment right outside of Boston and going through the ordeal of storing and loading all of my fishing stuff including my boat.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:49 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links