Tony and I headed out for the 1st time together in 2014. The plan was to fish jerkbaits, shallow cranks and chatterbaits with the cloud cover. That idea quickly went out the window when all we could get on moving baits were pickeral. We picked up the jig rods and headed to the banks.It did not take long to connect but the fish came slowly. 1 here 1 there, no real concentrations. At the 1st pond the bites were light and hard to detect. Your line just got "heavy". At pond #2 they were thumping it hard. All fish were caught in and around wood. Pond 1 yielded 14 bass over a 5 hour period. Pond #2 gave up 10 in only an hour before we called it a day. 24 bass in about 6 hours of fishing Most were 1.5 to 2lbs but we each got a 3lber as well. I'll take it!!

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:03 pm

healthy looking fish. very nice

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:07 pm

good job guys

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:45 pm

nice job. i know what you mean about them just being there. i went out today in the metrowest area and the water was in the low 40s still...some coves still had ice.

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Nice job. I was down in plymouth this morning and had the same situation, all I was getting on lipless cranks and jerkbaits was pickerel. I never made the switch to a jig and had a slow day out there. That's what I get for sticking to hardbaits today

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Nice looking fish, and 24 fish in 6 hours is pretty damn good for this time of year; if I do say so myself. Nice job guys!

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Nice job. I got one

Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Nice job guys, everyone!

Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:46 am

rich, when you were catching them shallow, were you fishing the shady or sunny side?

Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:10 pm

samf

rich, when you were catching them shallow, were you fishing the shady or sunny side?

Good question!

Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:17 pm

rich where in plymouth? i was fishing mopo today it was like a ssbm reunion seen mike woodbury in his triton on the east side then saw matt allen on the west side

Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Good job rich no trout there?heard they just stocked it

Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Nice report Rich. Thanks for sharing your successful techniques. I would have probably kept throwing cranks or spinnerbaits and cursing the pickerel.

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:07 am

Sam: In Plymouth the sun barely came out. I would say we had 90% cloud cover till the very end of the day. So just about all the bass were in wood in the shade.
Nate: Small ponds. I like the smaller ponds in spring. Fish are transitioning in spring and the smaller ponds make it easier to figure out what they are doing. South Shore has their 1st tourney at Monponsette.

Justin: No trout in these waters. Too small and too shallow.

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 am

thanks. if the sun was out and you were targeting the shoreline, would you focus on the shade or sunny side first given how early in the pre-spawn most places are right now?

i'm really wondering if bass are generally looking to be in the sun or shade this time of year.

Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:11 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links