hey guys, im new into the whole frog thing, but I wanna try out some topwater frogs at a new spot ive been fishing. anyone have any advice as to what I should get, and any techniques to use for the summer?

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 pm

in my opinion the best of all is BOO YAH. the plastic is really soft and hooks are strong. can be found at dicks

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:59 am

BooYah Pad Craasher in the Cricket patern. They look just like the frogs you'd find anywhere in mass. I get strikes on them all the time and a decent hook up ratio to miss.

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:26 am

i like the live target frogs they have the best patters and reassemble all of the frogs native to the mass they are a little more expensive but well worth it!!! really soft bodies just an all around awesome frog!!!

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:19 am

I like the Booyah and Live Target and the Scum Frogs have also been effective for me though they are a little lighter than what I like. I am less happy with the KVD Sexy Frog because it sits too low in the water making it difficult to see and it leaks so that every few casts I must squeeze the water out of it. It does catch fish however.

I haven't found a bit of difference in the colors of frog patterns; I've caught bass on most of 'em. I will use a dark frog early morning or after sunset and a green or yellow frog during the day. I even have a white Scum Frog that I may pull out one of these days.

I purchased some Booyah Popper frogs a few weeks ago. They look promising for more open water but they aren't suited to thick weed cover as the cup shaped front likes to get hung up.

Finally, I have learned through extensive trial and error that most misses on the frog are probably hits from pickerel. Pickerel will attack from the side, grab the frog momentarily and then spit it out. This will feel like a line tug like when a pickerel is taking a Senko. They will then hang around and attack a second and even a third time. On the other hand, bass will usually suck in the frog and hold onto it for a couple seconds, the tug is strong and steady.

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 am

i like the koppers live target and the classic spro. i don't get too hung up on intricate color patterns since the bass mostly see the "legs" and the bottom when you're fishing heavier cover. i stick with green/yellow, brown/white, black for the most part. sometimes green pumpkin. i'll change based on the weather and water clarity.

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:28 am

love the draginbaits frog. check em out at draginbaits.com

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 am

I havent fished a frog in years. I bought a BooYah Pad crasher a couple of weeks ago. Went out yesterday with a buddy, we both had the pad crashers on and we got 6 or 7 and also had a bunch of blow ups on them. I really like the action of them, but then again I dont really have anything to compare them to.

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 am

I primarily frog fish... soft body i prefer BooYah and Live target.. color depends on the water.. the more stained the water the brighter the color I throw..If it windy and you need to make more noise, you can add a rattle inside the... if you trim an inch of one of the bunch of string legs.. it was walk side to side better.. Also throw soft plastic frogs a ton... depending on wind and how much noise i need to make will depend on which frog i use.. if i need splash i use Basspro paddle feet.. if calm i use Zoom horny toads... with zoom #5 hooks.. again color depends on the fishes mood and clarity of water... Also always fish with 30-65lb braid in moss green... if the line lightens up cause of the water and sun.. i use a black marker to darken it... be patient.. when the bass hits lower your rod 1 sec then set... don't just set the hook it will pull out.. try different things if they arent biting.. let the frog sink a little with a slow retrieve... or rip it across the top you'll find what they want that day...

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:12 pm

What she said!

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 pm

mrsdano

if calm i use Zoom horny toads... with zoom #5 hooks..

assuming you meant 5/0 hooks...

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:16 pm

bloomagoo

mrsdano

if calm i use Zoom horny toads... with zoom #5 hooks..

assuming you meant 5/0 hooks...

Ya I tend to type like i'm talking... couldnt think of how to write 5 "ot" just re-read what I wrote and there's some serious typos lol.. I am blonde after all

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:23 pm

I love the Reaction Innovations Swamp Donkey!

They ceased production but if you can find them they are the superior soft body frog

For soft plastics - the Zoom Horney Toad rigged with a Paycheck Headcase - no more rips and slime weeds! I use a 4/0 EWG Skipgap hook with this rig

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:16 pm

I actually ended up trying out the LiveTarget frog today (since the baitshop didn't have pad crashers), wasn't getting any hits during the afternoon, but when the sun started to set I caught 2 and got 3 more hits. Hopefully next time has some better results

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 pm

A little tip for short striking fish on the spros, live target and other like looking frogs with the skirt material for legs. Cut off 1/2 the tails lenth. They also cast further and skip better that way.

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links