Recently saw a show on frog fishing. The person said to open up the hooks a little, so they are just above the body. I did it but haven't had any takers to confirm if it makes a difference or not Exclamation

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:17 pm

went out to my spot in Easton tonight for some night fishing. Stayed out til a little after midnight and absolutely killed it on that frog. snatched a 4 within 5 mins of getting there. But right before I left, a coyote came out of the woods and we had a little stare-down. scared the s*** outta me. ruined the rest of fishing for me tonight :/

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:32 am

don51

Recently saw a show on frog fishing. The person said to open up the hooks a little, so they are just above the body. I did it but haven't had any takers to confirm if it makes a difference or not Exclamation

the softer bodied frogs like spro and koppers collapse pretty well on their own. i like to throw frogs in the thickest of cover and opening the hooks could make it easier getting hung up?

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:57 am

oh i love me some good froggin -

the tip with cutting the legs helped me increase hookup

also i noticed that if i chill the froogy and have it sit on a pad for a while with legs in de water they hit it more often

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 am

don51

The only time my hookup ratio is poor is when they are not taking the frog but only slapping or nipping at it. I don't think bent out hooks would help if they are just nipping at the bait and in fact it may hinder your fishing because the frog is much more apt to getting hung up on weeds, branches ect. If they take the frog there is no need to bend out hooks imo.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 am

have any of you guys tried the trailer hooks for the frogs if so do they help or would it just get hung up in the slop

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 am

IMO trailer hooks are not the answer. You are just going to get hung up more in the slop. What I do is I just fish the frog. If i get a few half hearted hits, I put it down and try something else. You can pitch jigs into openings in pads or edges of weeds or under bushes too. If they are really blasting the frog I will stick with it. It's one of the most exciting ways to fish for bass.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:23 am

When they explode on the frog after not getting a bite for a while or on any top water bait in this matter and its close to the boat can catch you by surprise its exhilarating have almost ended up in the water due to this

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 am

Yeah there is nothing great then seeing that strike

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:06 am

I agree that bending out the hooks is probably not going to make much difference in your hookup ratio but will mostly just increase your weed load.

Frogs are very often hit on the pause so it pays to be patient.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:34 am

Like others said froggin can be a hit or miss. Don't blame yourself if your getting big strikes with no takers. If you want a soft frog without breaking the bank go buy a booyah pad crasher or the poppin version. Good hooks with a really soft body. Can't tell you how many times i've accidentally reel set the hook with frogs...Sometimes without even knowing i got a fish on.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:47 am

Booyahs are my favorite I feel I get the best hook to strike ratio with them i tried the KVD sexy frog and hated how it sits so low in the the water..spros are okay I get the most strikes with it but the least amount of hook ups

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:54 am

I've tried a good amount of hollow bodys and for the price you can't beat the booyah. SK KVD frog sucks in so many ways IMO(besides the beads already in the frog) I like livetarget, but finish and body can be ruined quickly thus making it not worth $12 an if your fishing frogs alot it can be pricey. ESPECIALLY those toothy critters. Haven't tried spro yet. At $6 a frog i think i'll stick with booyah. Walks great holds up exceptionally well for a frog for that price range. Colors are good and the finish will hold up against those tooth clamping picks

The popping one is also a winner for all the same reasons above except it pops and walks!

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:41 pm

the reason i haven't fished the pad crasher is b/c i don't like the color selection but i may get a few. i try to wait for a sale and then stock up to save some money.

i've caught about 30 fish on this one black/gold koppers so far. the paint's really starting to fade on the bottom but it doesn't matter...it still catches fish. i like them b/c you can get the smaller size that still casts well with a baitcaster and heavy rod / line.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:56 pm

I got 10x better results once i trimmed off 1/4" off of one of the leg skirts. The extra drag on one side makes it do a little shuffle after you pop it.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:56 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links