bangbang, how do you like the kistler rod? Heard a lot of good things. They are on sale at tacklewarehouse.

Thanks

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:22 pm

jbigun

chbass

Shimano Ci4 2500 + Nrx 822 (blue) = awesome combo for dropshot.

There is no difference between the blue and green models...

Are ones blue and ones green dummy!

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:47 pm

dr

bangbang, how do you like the kistler rod? Heard a lot of good things. They are on sale at tacklewarehouse.

Thanks

I've had a couple rf the Kistler helium rods they are very nice.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:50 pm

GL2 822S and Shimano 2500 6 or 8 Suffix Gami #1. I'll be trying braid with leader this year. I hate floro!

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:56 pm

chuckh

samf

bangbang

Dropshotting a great technique to have in the arsenal. I always have 1 if not 2 tied on.

dobyns extreme 743 M with a 2500 shimano Ci4
Kistler helium MH with the same reel

so you ended up getting a dobyns or did you have it? how do you like it so far and hows the balance with that reel? i was on the fence and went to the darkside with loomis.

If Loomis is the dark side Sam, do yourself a favor now and never put your hands on a Nrx 893 Jwr. It's the absolute worse rod ever made for 1/8 to 3/8 oz jigs. Hahahahahahahaha

haha i'm neutral. i like loomis and dobyns. just can't afford a lot of loomis.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Sam i got the dobyns about a week after we talked. My wife surprised me with it for my birthday, the balance is perfect with the 2500 ci4! I cant wait to use it this spring.

The kistler helium is a great rod. I used it for many techniques but it was best suited for my dropshot style. I would recommend it to anyone.

But i seem to be switching over to dobyns and loomis nrx's slowly

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:15 pm

helium LTA is a very good rod. i have one as well.

congrats on the dobyns. i figured it would be balanced. i was more than happy going mostly dobyns champion extreme but the new zayta series is coming out soon....they look pretty nice at first glance. time to start saving up.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm also thinking about getting into drop shotting this year and I think I may do the Reel Trade in at BassPro.

Would the Pfleuger MGX be well suited for this technique? Is there any reason I should look into a different reel? The MGX seems to get decent reviews and the price is right.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflueger_Supreme_MGX_Spinning_Reel/descpage-PSXS.html

For a Rod I was considering one of the Powell's previously mentioned (The Deisel or the Max, would the Max be worth the extra $?) or perhaps a St. Croix Mojo 6'9" ML X-Fast.

Any thoughts?

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 pm

you should be fine with that reel. it's pretty light and holds a good amount of line. the powell max is worth every extra cent from the sensitivity, action, guides, and warranty. get one on sale and you won't be going too crazy on the wallet. i used to use one before the loomis. don't worry, you can feel the slightest "tick" in 30+ feet.

i wouldn't personally recommend the mojo bass. i had one for one of my first rods. it's heavy, not that sensitive, and the guides are terrible garbage.

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 pm

For what it's worth, not a big drop shot guy over here, but try the BPS Carbonlite. Wicked nice rod. Very sensitive. I use my shaky heads on this.

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've head a lot of good things about the Powell Rods on this board in particular. I think I'm convinced now.

Hopefully TW has a sale soon Smile

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:07 pm

kamilfishes

i use a powell diesel 6"10 with a pflueger president reel. i can get any powell rod for 30% off for you. 8lb flouro and any minnow imitating plastics always work

kamilfishes could hook you up with a powell. i used to use a Max 702-MLEF. 7' Med Lt Xfast 702MLEF

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:19 pm

samf

kamilfishes could hook you up with a powell. i used to use a Max 702-MLEF. 7' Med Lt Xfast 702MLEF

Thanks Sam. I've seen those posts, wasn't sure if the offer was open to anyone. I'll have to PM him because that would be awesome.

One question about the Max you used. I notice a lot of people opting for a M or even MH for drop shotting. Did you feel the ML had a strong enough backbone for you? This technique is totally knew to me so I'm leaning on the experience of all the MAFF'ers to pick a rod to start.

I'd also like to use the rod for trying out some other light gear techniques like a Shakey head. Seems like the ML would be good for that.

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:32 pm

i'm guessing the M or MH was for a rod that has a different power in the build. by that i mean, i mean no 2 brands are the same. i have a MH kistler and had that powell. the kistler is a MH/F. the things like a limp wet noodle compared to the powell, which is a much stouter rod in general. i also have a M and MH powell. def. not ideal drop shot rods.

so yes, plenty of backbone. but you want more give in a drop shot rod anyway. you aren't locking the drag either when drop shotting.

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm

pocketfisherman

shawneramone

I've seen his rod. It's serious business

Like Vegas Shawn. What happens on Sam's boat, STAYS on Sam's boat! Shocked

Smile

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:27 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links