There may be a thread somewhere here already about drop shotting but I'll just start a new one. So drop shotting is going to be one of the two techniques I want to really learn this season. I've read a few things posted on Facebook here and there but that's all I really know about it. My questions are as followed: (1) rod length/power (2) line (I assume fluoro) (3) can I use this combo for other finesse techniques?

I'd like to spend around $200 for the entire combo (I was looking at a Shimano Sahara for the reel) so that'd be like $125 for a rod. I assume someone else on MAFF wanted to learn to drop this year so any suggestions/tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Like most techniques drop-shotting is a matter of feel and what a person likes I use a 7' Mojo med, fast tip for my dropshotting and use a 3/16 to 1/4 weight but that's what I like my bud uses a 1/8 or less for his weight whatever you feel comfortable with. Just like if you read what everyone uses to carolina rig with I use nothing as heavy as they say at all but that's me. trying it is ahalf the battle at first I couldn't get the touch but after a while I learn to like it try not to over work the bait and use good hooks and line fluoro or braid with a fluoro leader

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:52 pm

zack137z

There may be a thread somewhere here already about drop shotting but I'll just start a new one. So drop shotting is going to be one of the two techniques I want to really learn this season. I've read a few things posted on Facebook here and there but that's all I really know about it. My questions are as followed: (1) rod length/power (2) line (I assume fluoro) (3) can I use this combo for other finesse techniques?

I'd like to spend around $200 for the entire combo (I was looking at a Shimano Sahara for the reel) so that'd be like $125 for a rod. I assume someone else on MAFF wanted to learn to drop this year so any suggestions/tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Yeah I did a lot of looking around hoping to jump on the technique this year. I used the website below to help with the very basics. One of the bigger pieces I need to focus on is learning to read my fish finder.

http://tacklegrab.com/tips/drop-shots-for-dummies-breaking-down-the-basics/

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 pm

I use a Med-light fast tip Abu Garcia Villain and Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 with 8 lb fluorocarbon.

I fish it all year, in all depths all the way up to 1ft. It is an invaluable technique. Depending on your bait of choice, expect to weed through the species lol. Catching is half the fun right?

Just keep this in your mind "It is not just a vertical presentation." Throw it out there and work it back.

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:11 pm

i use a powell diesel 6"10 with a pflueger president reel. i can get any powell rod for 30% off for you. 8lb flouro and any minnow imitating plastics always work

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:23 pm

i used to use a Powell Max - the 7' ML / XF. i'd recommend it if kamil can get you a discount since it's an awesome rod with an awesome warranty. unfortunately i sold it at the end of last year.

my current setup: G. Loomis NRX 822S DSR paired with a Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 w/7 lb. Fluoro. i use 1/4 up to 3/8 oz. tungsten weights. i actually prefer 5/16 which is a nice in between. same thing with that 7 lb. test. i use a variety of plastics from straight tail worms to floating minnow type baits. hook is important as well.

good electronics are key too if you're going to go vertical.

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:38 pm

I love it when Sam talks about his rod

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Seriously though after fishing with a couple of guys who are comfortable dropshotting and seeing it in action I definitely want to get more comfortable with this technique. I bought a new fishfinder with DSI and am trading a 30# thrust Minn Kota for a 7' St Croix Triumph with a Daiwa (not sure what model) reel.

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Dam Sam, That's a serious DS set up!!! Go Fish

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:50 pm

I've seen his rod. It's serious business

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm

how do you guys like the stratic ci4? because im looking to get one for the beginning of this season coming up i have a st. croix rage that i want to pair it up with.

but when it comes to drop shotting lighter and more sensitive is the way to go! but i like to us 6 pound braid with a floro leader from 8 6 and some times 4 pound test. and you really cant go wrong with using a robo worm for the soft plastic they sit almost perfectly level in the water and just have a great action to them!! and its defiantly not just a vertical technique but you can use the rod for throwing worms and shaky heads.

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:09 pm

The Ci4 is great. I love it.

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 pm

shawneramone

ok now i'm scared hahaha.

drop shotting is one of my favorite techniques so i had to get a top line rod. i'm insane about every little thing when it comes from drop shotting. i'm that guy that checks out the actions of the lures in the water to see whats really going on. and seeing how different plastics sit differently in the water based on how they claim to be "buoyant." roboworm is one of my favorites but there is even better in terms of floating plastics, especially if you aren't just fishing vertically but casting and letting it sit or slowly drag.

plus, i got it for way less than retail but otherwise i wouldn't drop that much on a rod. it's worth every cent though. i had the pleasure of checking out chuck's drop shot setup earlier last year and was sold...

the Ci4 is really nice. very smooth and light. i have a stradic as well and they're really good, just heavier.

if you plan on getting one, ebay is your friend. shimano graciously excludes itself from major sales, but you can find a good 20% off on ebay 24/7/365.

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 pm

zack137z

to answer your questions.
1-you will hear many different preferences but the common DS rod is usually something like 6'8" - 7' with L/ML action and an XF/F tip.
2-again, it's all personal preference (especially the backing) but the hook and bait are commonly tied to fluoro.
3-yes, especially on shakey heads and other light finesse techniques.

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:06 pm

shawneramone

Like Vegas Shawn. What happens on Sam's boat, STAYS on Sam's boat! Shocked

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:56 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links