I now have 5 reels with 50lb Power Pro braid, one with 12lb flouro, and one with 17lb mono. I have one reel that needs line. Should I just continue with the braid and use a flouro or mono leader, use a lighter 30lb braid, or spool with flouro?

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:37 pm

i assume you are spooling a baitcaster. What are the specs on the rod you are putting it on? What fishing technique are you going to use the setup for?

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 pm

berkleegrad

I now have 5 reels with 50lb Power Pro braid, one with 12lb flouro, and one with 17lb mono. I have one reel that needs line. Should I just continue with the braid and use a flouro or mono leader, use a lighter 30lb braid, or spool with flouro?

I have recently switched over to braid on almost every reel and I have found no difference in how the fish view it, I actually feel more confident when setting the hook that I wont be snapping off fish, obviously for applications like top water braid is not a good choice but anything that is sub surface I throw braid, i find casting distance improved and even if I over do it and backlash the whole reel I get to salvage the spool by getting the backlash out which we both know is near impossible with floro or mono, Its all personal preference

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 pm

berkleegrad

What you spooling up?
what do you intend of using this for?

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm

sinista

berkleegrad

I have recently switched over to braid on almost every reel and I have found no difference in how the fish view it, I actually feel more confident when setting the hook that I wont be snapping off fish, obviously for applications like top water braid is not a good choice but anything that is sub surface I throw braid, i find casting distance improved and even if I over do it and backlash the whole reel I get to salvage the spool by getting the backlash out which we both know is near impossible with floro or mono, Its all personal preference

Same here. I have pretty much switched over to braid for all applications and I don't know if I can ever go back lol. I run 15# pp on my finesse spinning, 30# pp on my spinnerbait setup and 50# pp super slick on my flippin stick. I throw swimbaits on braid, crankbaits on braid, almost everything. Only thing I don't use braid for is wacky rigging I strictly use 10# trilene fluoro hosed down with kvd line and lure. I really love fishing lipless cranks on braid cause it gives me more confidence about not losing my lure when I inevitably snag a rock, 50# braid wrapped around a gloved hand and 9 times outta 10 I'm getting my vrank nack with a straightened hook.

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:10 pm

Here are the different lines that I use:

20-30lb braid for froggin and jitterbugs.
25lb mono for swimbaits
12lb mono for jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and jerkbaits
8-10lb mono for rubber worms and soft plastics

30-40lb ice braid for ice fishing!

I used to use flouro for some techniques but overall I don't like the feel of it as well as the fact it doesn't cast as far or smooth...just my opinion.

I use spinning rods about 90% of the time because they've always worked fine in my book. This year, I may add a multi-purpose quality baitcaster....we'll see!

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm

sinista

berkleegrad

?

I have recently switched over to braid on almost every reel and I have found no difference in how the fish view ite

They ignore your lure the same whether on Braid, floro or mono?

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

stratos1966

sinista

berkleegrad

?

I have recently switched over to braid on almost every reel and I have found no difference in how the fish view ite

They ignore your lure the same whether on Braid, floro or mono?

LOL...now that's funny!

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm spooling up a Revo STX and will initially put it on a 7' MH Daiwa T Rod - but I also tend to change up my rods and reels so no knowing where this will end up by the end of next season. I'm leaning toward sticking with the braid because I can always put a flouro or mono leader on it for finesse applications. And I agree with Neil, the braid is more forgiving when it comes to backlash.

Any advantage to going with lighter braid over the #50 Power Pro Super 8 Slick I currently use? I really like that line a lot and the diameter is quite small.

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:36 pm

neil were you throwing braid without a leader when drop shotting at mashpee??

it's mostly personal preference but consider a few things.

regardless of whether fish can see the green braid better than fluoro is thinking of line diameter and water displacement of the line moving through the water.

my best advice is to consider the application and water you're fishing. braid and mono float, fluoro sinks. i personally wouldn't recommend braid for clear water, jerkbaits, etc. i also wouldn't recommend fluoro for heavy cover as you'll be breaking off a lot of fish and lures. the heavier the fluoro the harder to manage as well. i use mono for topwater only but that's because i prefer no stretch otherwise and like the qualities of fluoro minus the price.

if you are fishing applications that don't need long casting, consider filling most of the spool with something else, then filling the rest with fluoro.

i've never had problems with power pro. it's very good and i've never felt the need to try anything else out.

you'll hear a lot of different opinions but keep everything in mind when deciding.

side note: the first time i went to ponki i was brought mostly rods with braid. i felt completely unprepared lol

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:18 pm

I use braid with a flouro leader for just about everything. Don't know if it's just a confidence thing but it seems i get a lot more bites when using a leader.

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Sam explained it perfect.

I run 90% flouro on my setups. 1 rod has mono on it for topwater, punch rod has braid, and my jig rod can go either way. Using a quality flouro makes all the difference.

I am however going to try 10lb braid on my dropshot rod with a flouro leader for next year. Anyone do this??

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:57 pm

bangbang

I am however going to try 10lb braid on my dropshot rod with a flouro leader for next year. Anyone do this??

There was an article on this in, In-Fisherman, I think, a couple of months ago. Becoming popular as a new approach to finesse fishing. 10 lb braid with a flouro leader. Give it a shot!

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:40 am

don51

bangbang

There was an article on this in, In-Fisherman, I think, a couple of months ago. Becoming popular as a new approach to finesse fishing. 10 lb braid with a flouro leader. Give it a shot!

is this a sensitivity thing?

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 am

I use 10lb braid to 8lb fluoro leader on my shaky head loomis setup, sensitivity is off the charts. I know a lot of people do the same with the dropshot with good success so I'm going to try that this year. One thing is for sure - you save a lot of money using braid over fluoro. I spend way too much money on fluoro so I'm starting to switch over to braid wherever possible. Another good way to save money is to buy a bulk spool of fluoro when it is on sale. I just picked up a few 1000yd spools of seaguar on tacklewarehouse for 25% off.

This winter I really need to work on the double uni and modified albright knots for braid to fluoro connections. They take me way too long and really can waste time on tournament days. This past season I was having some of my friends tie my knots on the water Laughing Laughing

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links