shawneramone

don51

bangbang

Sam explained it perfect.

I am however going to try 10lb braid on my dropshot rod with a flouro leader for next year. Anyone do this??

There was an article on this in, In-Fisherman, I think, a couple of months ago. Becoming popular as a new approach to finesse fishing. 10 lb braid with a flouro leader. Give it a shot!

is this a sensitivity thing?

Yes

I use 10lb braid with a fluro leader for 2 seasons.
1. braid last for a long time and has no memory. So for me who cant fish every week i have zero memory issues like fluro might.
2. Sensitivity is increased alot. Not stretch solid feel.
3. I actually went braid to vmc spinshot to fluro with drop shot weight. Maybe fish are ignoring that too. I'll have to scuba dive while drops-hotting to prove this Very Happy

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:33 am

jbigun

This winter I really need to work on the double uni and modified albright knots for braid to fluoro connections. They take me way too long and really can waste time on tournament days. This past season I was having some of my friends tie my knots on the water Laughing Laughing

You really are high maintenance!!!

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 am

Rich, remember how much fun we had at Wallum with no trolling motor?

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 am

jbigun

Why you want inside storage for that POS is beyond me. Insure it to the hilt and store it on the side of the road on a sharp curve thats known to ice over.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:43 am

stratos1966

jbigun

Why you want inside storage for that POS is beyond me. Insure it to the hilt and store it on the side of the road on a sharp curve thats known to ice over.

No kidding. Need inside storage because I'm putting in new carpet and a deck extension over the winter so I can sell it and upgrade.

Sorry for the derailment guys

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 am

jbigun

This winter I really need to work on the double uni and modified albright knots for braid to fluoro connections. They take me way too long and really can waste time on tournament days. This past season I was having some of my friends tie my knots on the water Laughing Laughing

I use the double uni to connect 10lb braid to 6-12lb flouro and ive never had any problems, it's a pretty easy knot to tie, just have to make sure you don't twist the two lines together before puling the two knots together.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 am

i've personally found fluoro to be as sensitive as braid on the applications i would use fluoro for. maybe it's the rod...who knows...

also, the double uni isn't too bad once you've done it a few times. i use it when spooling up braid. i'll put some old mono on the reel as backing then spool the braid with a double uni.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 am

Last season every rod I had was lined with braid. This year only my flipping stick and swimbait rod was. I had fluro or mono on everything else and like Sam I feel like the fluro was pretty sensitive. I do the same thing with spooling up mono and then uni to uni the braid to save dough. I have never tried using a leader before.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 pm

What kind of mono are you guys using for backing?

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 pm

The only downside of a leader is it's another breaking point.
I don't use flouro either. I use a co-polymer line. I always use a backing no matter what. But i spooled up with 6lb and no leader with one rod and loved it.
But I'll probably keep drop shot rod with braid for now.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:22 pm

That's the main reason that I never use a leader. I tie pretty good knots but like Joe it takes me forever.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 pm

jbigun

Use whatever you want, it's only backing Exclamation If you are replacing old mono on a reel with fresh, just use that as backing instead of throwing it away.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:50 pm

don51

jbigun

Use whatever you want, it's only backing Exclamation If you are replacing old mono on a reel with fresh, just use that as backing instead of throwing it away.

I bought 1000 yards of cheap mono on clearance at Dick's for like 3 bucks

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm

shawneramone

That's the main reason that I never use a leader. I tie pretty good knots but like Joe it takes me forever.

The albright for instance. I can tie it fine the night before but get me out on the water when the wind is howling in a tournament, I damn near spin out. Need to get it down like this...

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/tying-albright-knot

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm

don51

jbigun

This is what I've done in the past but I'm thinking a better mono and matching diameters better will improve castability and distance. Just throwing any old mono on there doesn't always work too well.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links