I just get intimidated by a knot like that. He has magicians hands. I'm all shaky and fumbly

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 pm

i'm only using enough backing to cover the spoon to keep the braid from slipping when filling the rest with it so i use the cheapest stuff i had - good old berkley trilene xl. i use the smallest test i have in order to keep the resulting knot in the spool as small as possible. most of my reels have the large spool capacities so it's not enough to get in the way of casting usually.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 pm

I don't usually use leaders with braid but when I do I use the seaguar knot. It was designed to link mono and flouro but works with braid as well. Very easy to tie. Can't believe no one has mentioned it.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:39 pm

I don't use spinning stuff. All setup is baitcast.

Frog-->Braid or any heavy weeds situation
Topwater-->15-20LB Big Game
All the rest-->FC

Tried many brands braid or super line, I don't like them. In theory, thin line casting further. I honestly don't think braid casting further based on my own experience.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:06 pm

jbigun

don51

jbigun

What kind of mono are you guys using for backing?

Use whatever you want, it's only backing Exclamation If you are replacing old mono on a reel with fresh, just use that as backing instead of throwing it away.

This is what I've done in the past but I'm thinking a better mono and matching diameters better will improve castability and distance. Just throwing any old mono on there doesn't always work too well.

You are overthinking it Exclamation It should have no effect whatsoever on casting distance. We are talking backing. You shouldn't be anywhere close to it when casting Exclamation The main purpose of the backing would be to keep the braid from slipping on the spool.

Last edited by don51 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm

I've strayed away from mono backing in favor of just tying threw the holes in the wiffle spool ( after checking said holes for burs or sharp edges first) but when I did back I would use 14# trilene xt tied to my 50# power pro with a uni to uni. Just use enough mono to cover the spool maybe 4 or 5 complete wraps. I have yet to have any issues with tying to wiffle holes though. Knock on wood lo

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links