Any tips for jig and pig? I bought a few jigs at bass pro the other day along with zoom chunks as a trailer.
What colors? Heard black and blue.
How big? Weight?
Trailers?
Brand name?
Type of jig?
When to use them? Season?

Posted Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 pm

For me there are only two colors. Black or green pumpkin. Mostly I like swim jigs because I fish a lot of weedy ponds. 3/8 is my favorite weight. For trailers I like the zoom chunks or berkley power bait chigger craws. In Mass any jigs under an ounce must be lead free so I go to Bog Hoag baits for my jigs. He's a MAFF guy. The jig n pig has been my goto bait this year. Use them all year. Around wood, rocks, weeds, basically anywhere. They're a very versatile bait

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:55 am

I fish alot of muddy, weeds ponds on the south shore.
Can you use them on muddy bottoms with a lot of crap
I got black and blue. Watermelon/ pumpkinseed

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:16 pm

all season long jigs work. The rest is just opinions but most agree black n blue is best color.

Go out there and try different weights and trailers. Form your own opinion on what works best, when and why. You know Jigs work, so now its time to fish with them and come to your own conclusions on whats best.

Nothing wrong with asking questions but you dont need every last specific detail to have success.

I'll tell you this,jigs work in every depth of water and all conditions.

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Thank you. I'm jiggin this morning when I get out of work

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:20 am

Jigs, drop shots and shaky heads are very popular fishing tactics. There are tons of articles available online. Do a search on this site and other fishing sites. You are going to overload yourself with too much information all at once. It's going to be a long winter Exclamation Laughing

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:08 am

I've been looking up these tactics on google.

It will be a long winter if the ponds get skim ice but no safe ice or open water

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:36 am

The Jig and Pig is my favorite shallow water/ heavy cover bait. I start using it as soon as ice is out. I look for North west, sun drenched shorelines with docks, downed trees and overhanging brush. I use 1/4 oz in the early spring and prespawn and bump up to 3/8ths post spawn and summer. I use a #11 black UJ pork frog 90% of the time. I use both spinning and bait casting gear. If I want to stay back away from the cover I will use a heavy spinning rod with 50lb braid and skip the jigs in and under the cover. If I feel I can get close to the cover without spooking the fish I will pitch to them with a baitcaster spooled up with the same 50lb braid. I never go out without a jig tied on. It is a great numbers bait as well as a BIG fish bait. I keep it simple when it comes to colors. Black on black. You want a good quality jig with a strong hook and a stiff weedguard. I used to alter my jigs a lot. I would thin out the weedguard and cut it back to just beyond the point of the hook. I would trim the skirt back to just beyond the bend in the hook. I used to get hung up a lot and have to go in and retrieve my jig. This was before the invention of Braided line. Now I fish them right out of the package and have no problems getting a solid hookset into the fish. I hardly ever get hung up. I like my line tie to be horizontal, not verticle. It comes through the cover better. I will not fish a jig without rattles. I believe it helps A LOT. 8 times out of 10 you will skip/ pitch in and will get hit on the initial drop. The other 2 out of 10 you might have to lift and drop it a couple times. If no hit I reel in and try a different angle or location within the cover. I always target the thickest deepest middle part of the cover 1st. I always want to make that 1st cast count so boat positioning is very important.

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:04 am

stratos1966

The Jig and Pig is my favorite shallow water/ heavy cover bait. I start using it as soon as ice is out. I look for North west, sun drenched shorelines with docks, downed trees and overhanging brush.

Great post as usual Stratos.

Just a question on it. Do you look for North West all day all season or is this for the Early Spring/morning case where you're looking for the part of the water that's the warmest?

Any suggestions/recommendations on swim jigs or jigs w/ rattle?

thanks,

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Great post Stratos!
I think the jig n pig has been a technique used by alot of people this year and with great success too!
I personally throw my jigs with 16lb co-polymer. No break offs at all. I don't think i snapped one off actually or had to retrieve. love it. Black/red flake works mint Cool late spring. Black or black blue is great most time too.
Ask 10 guys and probably get 10 different answers. lol
I make custom colors for customers that you would think wouldn't work. But its about confidence. IMO.
Tie one on (any lead free lure) and just go fishing. You won't be disappointed!

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:03 pm

jjbagoose

stratos1966

The Jig and Pig is my favorite shallow water/ heavy cover bait. I start using it as soon as ice is out. I look for North west, sun drenched shorelines with docks, downed trees and overhanging brush.

Just a question on it. Do you look for North West all day all season or is this for the Early Spring/morning case where you're looking for the part of the water that's the warmest?

thanks,

Sorry if that was not clear. yes only in early spring. That is where, for the most part, the warmest water in a lake will be. As long as it has the cover, the fish should use it. Now if all the wood is on the east shoreline or in the southern end, you have to go where the cover is, but NW shoreline wood in early spring is usually money.
As far as jig reccomendations go, if you want to be lead free then Jay at Boag Hog and Ken at Leadfreejigs.com are 2 great guys with great products. If lead free is not an issue for you or for states where lead is allowed I LOVE dirty jigs. I also prefer the 'arkie" style head.

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks.

Jay, do you sell any Swim Jigs or Jigs w/ Rattles yet?

I couldn't find them on your site.

If not, I'm wondering what brands other people in MA are using.

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:36 pm

only been using jigs a few years but I have the most success with brown and black second. I want to try adding rattles to my jigs. anyone have experience with that. what type, brand etc.

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:46 pm

jjbagoose

Thanks.

Jay, do you sell any Swim Jigs or Jigs w/ Rattles yet?

I couldn't find them on your site.

If not, I'm wondering what brands other people in MA are using.

Stratos can really nail down the details! I want to mention one thing about his use of pork trailers. I hear those are the best in cold water conditions because it doesn't stiffen up like plastics. Not speaking from experience though.

I do sell Grass jigs in all colors and yes i have rattles Very Happy.
They are not on my website because it is getting a facelift.

Here are the grass jigs and I am in the process of designing my own style of head comparable to arkie style Laughing

Thanks everyone

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:05 pm

stratos1966

jjbagoose

stratos1966

thanks,

Sorry if that was not clear. yes only in early spring. That is where, for the most part, the warmest water in a lake will be. As long as it has the cover, the fish should use it. Now if all the wood is on the east shoreline or in the southern end, you have to go where the cover is, but NW shoreline wood in early spring is usually money.
As far as jig reccomendations go, if you want to be lead free then Jay at Boag Hog and Ken at Leadfreejigs.com are 2 great guys with great products. If lead free is not an issue for you or for states where lead is allowed I LOVE dirty jigs. I also prefer the 'arkie" style head.

leadfreebassjigs.com

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links