I think someone might have a better opinion but , light colors in clear water and dark colors in darker water.
I do agree that black is all around the best.
Chartreuse can be a good smallie jig at times, PB&J is good.
Just like plastics there is every color under the sun available.
It just takes trial and error and you will gain confidence and learn what you like best.
good luck

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:54 am

bassturds

What's up with light colored jigs. White, chartreuse.
I've only herd dark colors. Black/blue pumpkinseed watermelon.

IMO the lighter colored jigs are better for "swimming". With that technique you are presenting your bait out in relatively open water compared to pitching or skipping it into heavy cover. In heavy cover you are getting a "reaction strike". The bass is positioned under the bush or dock or in a downed tree and here comes this...... thing dropping down right infront of them. Dark colors are more visable to a bass and in tight quarters you want them to be able to see your bait in the 2 seconds it takes to fall to the bottom. 90% of jig bites in heavy cover come on the initial fall. In open water a bass is going to get better look at your bait. It will see it coming from a distance, it's lateral line will feel its thumping and pulsating and disbursing water. It may follow your bait for a distance before deciding to eat it. in this situation you want your bait to look as natural "real" as possible.
The theory in clear water is a bass can see your bait better so even in heavy cover you want a natural looking bait. It can't hurt I guess but I still believe you are getting a reaction bite and I only throw black jigs in heavy cover. Around here the cape and some plymouth ponds arethe only places I consider "clear" water other then the quabbin and Wachusett res and some BOW WAAAAY out west.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:44 am

Stop confusing yourself....

Get yourself some black jigs and a few natural colored trailers and go catch some bass. I think sometimes we out think ourselves when we should stick with the basics. Wink

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 am

Well said guy's lot/s of good info there. I have to say Tommy hit the nail on the head. Get out on the water and throw your jig of choice and learn by doing. Good luck.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:33 am

It's easy to get overloaded with info and keep in mind that lure makers will make the same lure in every color just because they know we'll buy them. I agree with Tommy. Keep it simple

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:21 am

Same with plastics!
Thousands of colors to choose.
Its funny how people can talk fishing everyday and write articles in magazines for years. Basically same s*** over and over. But it doesn't get old.

I wish i could post an article i just read about crayfish patterns.
In short it says set up a trap in a local body of water at different seasons and view the crayfish colors. A fisherman said he matched the color and cashes check 90% time on that body of water. Real cool info. Kinda blows the just black theory out water but all in all black works.
Even with soft plastics Cool

I matched a crayfish that was at a local bait shop early summer and believe it or not i had good results.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:34 am

jwall046

Same with plastics!
Its funny how people can talk fishing everyday and write articles in magazines for years. Basically same s*** over and over. But it doesn't get old.

In short it says set up a trap in a local body of water at different seasons and view the crayfish colors. A fisherman said he matched the color and cashes check 90% time on that body of water. Real cool info. Kinda blows the just black theory out water but all in all black works.

I matched a crayfish that was at a local bait shop early summer and believe it or not i had good results.

Someone set up some kind of trap at my local pond. I don't like to touch other peoples stuff but maybe I'll check to see if it's a crayfish trap.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:42 am

last year Damon from Beaver Fever, walked the shoreline at Upper Mystics flipping over rocks until he found a crayfish. he matched his jig to the color and won the tourney that day.

In deeper water most of the color falls off the spectrum anyway, so fish end up seeing mostly black.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:45 am

kman

last year Damon from Beaver Fever, walked the shoreline at Upper Mystics flipping over rocks until he found a crayfish. he matched his jig to the color and won the tourney that day.

In deeper water most of the color falls off the spectrum anyway, so fish end up seeing mostly black.

Wait for it.....wait for it.....

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:58 am

jwall046

Same with plastics!

I read the same one not too long ago

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:07 pm

I wonder how many ponds around here have crayfish. Only 1 way to find out.
I need to start buying more jigs. I have about 5 packs of trailers for the 1 jig I got. I don't use the football head to much around these Shallow ponds.
Dicks sporting goods doesn't sell jigs and neither does Walmart. Going to order from Boag hog and bass pro

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:26 pm

I would say 99% of all ponds have crayfish. I'm not an expert, just guessing but I cant see why they would not be in most ponds.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:40 pm

hmmmmm...looks like i got to get a crawfish trap

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:11 am

bassturds

LOL....why???

I'll take you out for a few hours and I'll give ya a crash course.

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:30 am

tommyboy

bassturds

LOL....why???

I'll take you out for a few hours and I'll give ya a crash course.

That's awesome

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:08 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links