It was brought to our attention that a long vinyl wall was put in place in Billington Sea on Thursday which restricts the use of the whole west side of the pond, Several of us have spoke with Johhny Bag O Bass in regards to this, he and the powers that be will make the final call on whether to cancle this tournament or change location, I thought Id post the article for all to see

Plans to remove invasive weeds from Billington Sea will restrict boat traffic on the West Plymouth pond through the middle of the summer.

Workers installed a curtain net Thursday that will separate Billington Sea’s western bay from the main body of the pond. The netting will enable the treatment of that bay with an herbicide that will kill two different types of invasive weeds that are choking the bay.

The weighted barrier is suspended from yellow pillows floating at the surface. The barrier stretches from Hospital Point on the north shore of the pond to a point directly opposite on the southern shore, the narrowest section of the pond.

Boats will be prohibited from motoring over the barrier, but they will be able to paddle over it. A small channel will be opened June 30 after herring eggs have hatched.

The barrier is required to keep herring out of the western bay and keep the herbicide out of the rest of the pond.

The treatment will not affect the eggs, but will kill the weeds that normally hide the eggs from predators.

The channeled barrier will remain in place until the end of July.

Town Meeting approved funding a portion of the $53,850 project last year.

The town’s $23,850 portion reflects the town’s ownership of shoreline in Morton Park. The Billington Sea Association is paying for the remainder of the project, about 55 percent of the cost.

The treatment will use the aquatic herbicide fluridone to kill fanwort and floating pondweed, two invasive weeds that are clogging the pond’s western basin.

According to Billington Sea Association President Michael Leary, the treatment, with a brand of fluridone called Sonar, will selectively kill nuisance weeds only and is deemed safe for use in water supplies.

Within a quarter mile of a potable water intake, the recommended concentration is no more than 20 parts per billion. Billington Sea is not a water supply and could be treated at concentrations as high as 150 parts per billion, but the association is using a concentration of only 10 parts per billion.

Indigenous plant life can tolerate the lower levels. Using lower level, however, requires a longer treatment, so the project will last into late July.

Once the project begins, residents will notice two monitoring sites, one in each basin that will assess impact on tidewater mussels, a protected mussel that is carried into the pond by herring.

The treatment will not begin for several weeks, but the curtain has already been installed because herring are about to make their annual return to the pond to spawn.

Leary said the state actually gives many herring a lift through difficult to travel stretches of Town Brook. The herring are expected to arrive next week so the barrier was installed Thursday.

Read more: BILLINGTON SEA ASSOCIATION: Weeding the Sea - Plymouth, MA - Wicked Local Plymouth http://www.wickedlocal.com/plymouth/news/x1351139545/BILLINGTON-SEA-ASSOCIATION-Weeding-the-Sea#ixzz1qtMfpDyu

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks Neil for posting and to Ken haskins for calling me on this.
I am reaching out to the boating and access to see if they can put us in for long pond in freetown for that date.

I'll let you guys know for sure when I know

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 am

Just checked the office of Fishing and Boating Scheduled Events, nothing booked for 4-22-12 @ Long pond

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 am

good Looking out...I eagerly await the results. I have no worry's about paddling over a barrier but I imagine those bass boaters wouldn't want to try it.

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 am

Gas up to it,shut down,trim up and slide right over.Push the curtain down with your paddle and use your trolling motor to get over the rest of the way.Is that Long Pond Lakeville that your talking about?

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:01 pm

The article say GAS MOTORS ARE PROHIBITED from using that side of the pond, Im guessing they dont want gas motors shredding the the invasive species of weeds they are trying to erradicate, gas motors shred weeds, which means new plants grow where the pieces land. its costing the town like 53,000$ to do this we may not want to upset them.

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:25 pm

No Freetown ken, Neil's right I will not fish where they don't want us to fish. We'll move on. I should know tomorrow.

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Long Pond Lakeville/Freetown is the same place, lol

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Just so everyone knows. Weekend is a fee to park. Somewhere between $5 to $10. I cant remember the exact price.. Ive also been warned that On the far right. Second or third island there is a a shallow spot sandy spot. I havnt noticed it because i just stood away, but its sonething to watch out for.

Good luck getting the pond. I believe the Fall River bass.club has tourneys all the time at the pond. If you can draw the permitts, id rather see us change ponds rather then cancel alltogether. Ive been counting down the days. Looking forward to losing my money. Lol[/b]

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Just so everyone knows. Weekend is a fee to park. Somewhere between $5 to $10. I cant remember the exact price.. Ive also been warned that On the far right. Second or third island there is a a shallow spot sandy spot. I havnt noticed it because i just stood away, but its sonething to watch out for.

Good luck getting the pond. I believe the Fall River bass.club has tourneys all the time at the pond. If you can draw the permitts, id rather see us change ponds rather then cancel alltogether. Ive been counting down the days. Looking forward to losing my money. Lol[/b]

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:36 pm

There is a Saturday morning lunker tourney Fall River Anglers has not sure when it starts , I know the end of the season they have it every Saturday until the ice comes in. The fish and game website has nothing listed for that day

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 pm

I knew it was Fall River something. I just remember looking at the paper last year and they had two a week. I thought Wednesdays were lunker day, and a weekend day was the tourney.. Either way. I will be wherever the first tourney is.

Posted Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:18 pm

I've read the article and talked to lake residents, no where does it say you can't use your motor in the west bay...I feel due to the many rocks you shouldn't use your motor on that side. The people I have spoken with said it was ok to go over barrier..

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:57 am

hookerman

I've read the article and talked to lake residents, no where does it say you can't use your motor in the west bay...I feel due to the many rocks you shouldn't use your motor on that side. The people I have spoken with said it was ok to go over barrier..

Boats will be prohibited from motoring over the barrier, but they will be able to paddle over it. A small channel will be opened June 30 after herring eggs have hatched. (i see your point)

However if we put 15 boats in there before the day is over there will be a traffic jam of boats and that barrier will be a mess

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:15 am

as much as i love billington, im in favor of a new site

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:33 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links