I think i started a thread a week or two ago?
But i wanted to warn the crappy fisherman or jiggers/ ice fisherman that their little jigs probably contain lead and to discard them as of 2012.
I also wanted to ask if anybody knows if spinner-baits will fall under the same rule?

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:56 am

jwall046

I think i started a thread a week or two ago?
But i wanted to warn the crappy fisherman or jiggers/ ice fisherman that their little jigs probably contain lead and to discard them as of 2012.
I also wanted to ask if anybody knows if spinner-baits will fall under the same rule?

I've been periodically "riding threads" on some other Massachusetts fishing sights...It's seems that baits are still in debate...this is going to be a retailers DREAM and a consumer NIGHTMARE ....luckily for me...I'd just started re-gearing 'inland' and even MORE LUCKY --dan and damon are selling NEW technology !I'm CERTAIN fisherman are going to regularly break these new laws...

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:07 am

I just spoke to a tackle shop and he was reading the regulations book and it says shot and jigs under 1 oz.
Then he says just throw a feather on the jig and it becomes a lure. I really wasn't impressed with his answer.
Maybe spinnerbaits are excluded? But i remember a law like this before and it mentioned if the jig was over a certain length you were fine.

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:24 am

jwall046

I just spoke to a tackle shop and he was reading the regulations book and it says shot and jigs under 1 oz.
Then he says just throw a feather on the jig and it becomes a lure. I really wasn't impressed with his answer.
Maybe spinnerbaits are excluded? But i remember a law like this before and it mentioned if the jig was over a certain length you were fine.

i haven't been following as closely as i should but i was told that spinnerbaits are excluded as they are over 3" in length. that exact length might not be correct either. it would be worth finding the actual law and reading through it. i plan on checking it out soon.

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:19 am

Massachusetts

The Massachusetts Division of Fish and Wildlife has enacted an administrative rule that prohibits the use of lead fishing sinkers and jigs less than 1 ounce in all inland waters of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (effective January 1, 2012)

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:29 am

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it Exclamation How often do you run into the E.P.O.'s Question This entire season I had one encounter and I approached him Exclamation You may have a chance meeting on the ice at the most popular spots.

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 pm

This is an issue of ecological COMMON SENSE - Just thinking exponentially(BIG MATH TERM) Generations and generations of fisherman have snapped off gear at the bottom of lakes,ponds,rivers,and streams EVERYWHERE ! Now...95+% of all our inland bodys have OUTRAGEOUS PCB(lead derived) levels.I'm FRENCH ! It's in my DNA to eat fish---I'd eat it EVERY DAY if I could and I won't now---unless it's Quabbin a "catch"because something bothers me about eating something that can send be to the "ICU" no thanks dude! And then factor in that ALL laws are somewhat unjust to someone somewhere...I wouldn't think robbin' a bank,killing someone,or stealing a car would be "OK" just because "Hey I only see like one cop a year"
---I suggest ALL the MAFFERZ just buy some new stuff from Beaver-Fever Baits n Weights(hahaha) and "you'll" be fine...I have a superstition EVERY TIME "out" I wash the hell outta my face with the water I'm about to fish in EVERY TIME ...I'd like to continue that as strange as it sounds---that's my KARMA,the one time this year I didn't 'GOT SKUNKED!I won't be able to if sticking 'your' face in lake water causes my skin to peel off hahahahahaha

don51

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :!
: How often do you run into the E.P.O.'s Question This entire season I had one encounter and I approached him Exclamation You may have a chance meeting on the ice at the most popular spots.

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:55 am

I agree Wista Dave.
I'd like to keep our resources for a long time to come. I used to not understand why Mainiacs hated Pike? Then i learned they are an invasive species ect. Maine and other states take pride in their environment as should we. Change does suck but We can just put beaver fever into overtime this winter!

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:15 am

I started using steel bullet weights way back when I started fishing at the Quabbin. No lead sinkers!!! I'm relying on you guys to clarify this for me. Are we talking anything at all that contains lead? Cuz as far as I know just about every lure in the shop has that warning. Are manufacturers gonna make lead free lures or just say oh well to us Mass fisherman?

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Just read this on the MassWildlife website..."In 2009, the Fisheries and Wildlife Board unanimously voted to prohibit the use of lead sinkers, lead weights, and lead fishing jigs with a mass of less than 1 ounce in all inland waters of Massachusetts. This regulatory change will not take effect until January 1, 2012."
*Note: Lead sinkers do not include lead-fishing related items including, but not limited to, artificial lures, jigs, lead-core line, keel trolling weights, or weighted flies.

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Guys!! I really don't think the rangers are gonna enforce lead weights.IMO they have alot more to worry about!!!!! Maybe they could head up to one of the ponds that illegals fish ,and take everything home that bites a hook. just my opinion

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:41 pm

nofx99

Guys!! I really don't think the rangers are gonna enforce lead weights.IMO they have alot more to worry about!!!!! Maybe they could head up to one of the ponds that illegals fish ,and take everything home that bites a hook. just my opinion

It's not just about "getting caught". It's about awareness. I just read if a loon digests one lead sinker it will die of lead poisoning in a few weeks. It's up to us responsible fisherman to follow the law and protect our waters.

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm

So does that mean we need to outlaw fishing line, because a bird might get tangled up in it!!!!

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:32 pm

nofx99

So does that mean we need to outlaw fishing line, because a bird might get tangled up in it!!!!

Do you disagree that lead is bad for the environment? I honestly don't see the big deal. I've been using alternative weights for years and they cost about the same. As far as the line goes I expect people to clean up after themselves.

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:35 pm

know it all[/b][/i][/u][/quote][/code][/list]

Last edited by nofx99 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links