weigh in station or old school on the water weigh in?
yay
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
nay
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 12

I have yet to fish an event so I am treading lightly here.

I like the "official scale" idea. That way a 10lb bag is a 10lb bag is a 10lb bag. Even if the official scale is "off" it's off the same for everyone, every time. I am always for making things as accurate as you can.
Justin, Johnny, is there a TOC this year? If so having the most accurate weights ( ie on the same scale) does mean something. see " a 10 lb bag is a 10lb bag"
It's real easy to do. Pick a scale, any scale and just pass it to the next "host" at the current weigh in. If the scla ebelongs to someone who attends all the events, just use that scale each time.

Question: has anyone lost a fish back in the drink at these "on the water" weigh ins? I have seen many a fish flop onto a beach or into the shallow water at a shore weigh in over the years only to be scooped up and put back into the weigh in bag. Hard to do over 5-10' of water.

But since I have never fished one of these events. I am good with whatever those in charge decide.

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:06 pm

while the official weigh in off the water does have benefits and is fun because it's semi-official, i would vote for sticking with the current system. chuck's right and it's also a lot easier, faster, and doesn't clog up the ramp. keeping it informal, fun, and FAST is the way to go.

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:31 pm

I honestly appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions on this topic.
to be truthfull here, I have never wanted to keep track of stats and stuff. (sorry Justin) some guys love it and some look forward to seeing them, which is fine with me. I just started these to show up and fish, less stats keeps it even more low key. show up pay a little laugh a little and maybe win a couple of bucks. then do it again next weekend.

I will buy a nice top dollar hand held scale and new bag that will be for every tourney, whoever hosts will have to make sure they pass it on to the next host. it will be up to the host whether the weigh in will be on or off water.

sound good?

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43 pm

I didn't vote mainly because I do not participate in these tournies. I have met a few of you, or talked to a few of you behind the scenes and I am sure mot of you will agree that I love fishing as much as any of you.

That being said it brings me to my point, or my two cents on the subject. I think that you guys have a great thing going. You all seem to be becoming good friends on the water and I dare say that taking this tourney stuff too seriously could get in the way of that.

We always see a bit of drama around these forums, from one thing to another and most of us man up and handle it. My fear is that once it starts becoming more and more official then tensions and attitudes begin to rise. I see this in carp fishing circles all the time. Once the pursuit of the biggest best fish becomes more important then the actual act of fishing, the anglers become hostile, secrative and basically frustrated unless they are winning all the time.

I agree with Johnny, these were started to get together, have fun and be social..and of course lose a bit of money to the Landlords...there are plenty of "serious" "official" groups out there and most of them are not the most fun places to be on or hang around...I say keep this simple and keep it friendly and relax..enjoy your time with fellow MAFFER's

I mean really..even if you guys used a different scale each time, would any of you or have any of you felt cheated from these things? I venture to say not really. I'm betting all of you have just been having fun out there and trash talking each other..why change that? I mean do we look at the trips and ask , "Hey that wasn't on my scale so are you sure you bagged a 5+ pounder? "..NO, we enjoy the trips, enjoy others talking about fishing and most of all enjoy showing off our great catches..let us not make it any more then that! I mean 25 bucks is a great price to spend a day with friends..and let's be honest, even if our scale was a pound off..it would still be a great day!

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:46 pm

WELL SAID BRO!

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:08 pm

When Damon called me about this I thought it was a great idea.If you guys aren't up to it that's fine.Everything seems to work the way it is.I just need Smoke to give my bag back.hahahaha

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 pm

While i already stated I'm ok with what ever happens. I just want to fish and have fun as it seem to be the popular opinion.
I would like to throw this out before it gets to deep.
I am hosting 2 tourneys this year. Damon wants to make this the best stop ever. I agree. He has phenomenal ideas.
So i can set up another poll if wanted but would everybody be OK if the host of the tourneys added some of their own twist?
if they don't choose to no worries. It's up to the host
I'd rather not let the cat out of the bag and tell everybody what we wanted to do but throw out the question and see if it was agreed or disagreed to put on a great tourney.
This might mean we weigh in off water? Maybe we have some girls in bikinis greet us at the ramp. Maybe Damon is crazy enough to wear one? lmao. i think he might have worn leotards once. Not proven but a possibility!!!
Sorry buddy Laughing
Not trying to force this. if it is not agreed i will never mention it again.
Thanks

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:58 pm

seems like a cool idea

Last edited by riverrat82 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:01 pm

johnnybag-a-bass

I honestly appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions on this topic.
to be truthfull here, I have never wanted to keep track of stats and stuff. (sorry Justin) some guys love it and some look forward to seeing them, which is fine with me. I just started these to show up and fish, less stats keeps it even more low key. show up pay a little laugh a little and maybe win a couple of bucks. then do it again next weekend.

I will buy a nice top dollar hand held scale and new bag that will be for every tourney, whoever hosts will have to make sure they pass it on to the next host. it will be up to the host whether the weigh in will be on or off water.

sound good?

I had to respond one more time here guys, promise this is it, Im going back to my Jon boat project and all of you will get nothing more than updates on that from me!! Seems like a much safer topic anyhow!!
I hope all of you have read between the lines on this at this point.... this isnt a question of changing how MAFF operates!! I would run for the hills of this were to turn into some club with dues, official this and that protocols, guys being ultra competitive and taking all the fun out of it. I agree with Eric and Johnny and all of you, the reason why MAFF works is its simple straight ahead formula. I really honestly wouldnt want it any other way.
If you are all really reading this then perhaps the question that should have been posed is; are you all, as guys that enjoy what we are doing, interested and willing to "Kick" in wether it be in the form of a raffle or whatever, to procure all the gear to run the weighs ins for next year, wether it be on or off (perhaps both, that way the guys running them can decide for themselves). This way Johnny or Smoke both dont have to worry about it or take it out of their own pocket or tackle box.
Listen guys I honestly didnt mean to rile up the tribe, I honestly thought this would be a good thing we could all benefit from. Figured with all of us pitching in next year to help, and with the work Johnny and Smoke already put in, we as a group could do something to help make next year even better.
Like I said before, Ill be there fishing with you all, having a blast, wether or not the weigh in is on/off water or under!!!
Sorry again guys really thought it was a good suggestion who knew!!!
I honestly didnt mean to ignite such a tinderbox!

Ohh and Jaywallz, stop being jealous you cant pull it off!!! God , a guy calls you once during the middle of your daughters tumble class and apparently thats all he can think of....... Very Happy

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:51 pm

I would like to clarify that when I say I like the unofficialness I mean I don't care if we weigh in at the ramp or on the water. I do like the ramp because it's about the most interaction I have with you guys besides here on the site. In the morning it's all business to get ready but after it's just about laughs and hopefully big bags. Like Johnny I'm very casual about these tourney's as I was looking to fish with a bunch of cool guys with the possibility to make some cash. Don't get me wrong, I like the competition, but my life doesn't revolve around it. Also I never expected Smoke to keep averages and invest the kind of time to make it feel like a tour but I liked it and I thank you for that Smoke, good effort. I like the idea of raffles. I never win but I always buy a ticket. At the end of the day I just want to fish. I'm not much of a leader and don't usually come up with ideas to improve the way we do things. If one official scale is what it takes then I'm down. But keeping this as a bunch of guys throwing money in a hat in hopes of catching a nice bag for a little slice of it is all I'm looking for. Having said that...is it April yet?

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:43 pm

NAY!! NO NEED TO REINVENT THE WHEEL, if you want to see other guys bags use your trolling motor and get a better view, Neil I would love my bag back!! As for raffles I am in for a ticket or two everytime, we should make a donation at the end of year to a fishing charity! Johnny why buy a new bag and scale, if we all use the same one for that tourney who really cares? I just want to catch the 10 lb slob, ya he"ll be in the front livewell!

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Is there going to be a big fish or any other category at the end of the year that the weights from every tourney really matters? I heard not.
If not what difference does it make what scale you use?
The scale could be off but it's equally off that day all day.At this point we'd be splitting hairs for nothing. If everybody wants to keep it simple for real then do so. The host supplies his own equipment or borrows from a buddy. Nobody needs to keep track of maff official gear and worry that it gets broke or lost. or you get the response i couldn't make the tourney at the last minute and couldn't hand off the equipment in time. Trust me if it can happen it will.
So like i heard once before if it aint broken don't fix it.

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:55 am

meatballs

NAY!! NO NEED TO REINVENT THE WHEEL, if you want to see other guys bags use your trolling motor and get a better view, Neil I would love my bag back!! As for raffles I am in for a ticket or two everytime, we should make a donation at the end of year to a fishing charity! Johnny why buy a new bag and scale, if we all use the same one for that tourney who really cares? I just want to catch the 10 lb slob, ya he"ll be in the front livewell!

I got your bag Meatball! you want me to bring it to the Awards Ceremony?

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:34 am

An idea for rasing money for weigh in supplies or anything else for the tournies:

The 1st time you fish one of these events you pay an extra $10-$20 as a team ( one time only fee). If you fish the Billington sea tourney you pay that money then. If you do not fish an event until say Mashpee, thats when you pay the $$, but everyone pays that $$. That money goes toward a scale, weigh in bag, baskets ect or whatever the tournies need. This way EVERYONE contributes to the cost associated with the tournies. With a raffle, if someone does not participate they have not contributed.

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:41 am

GOOD IDEA DAVE OR MAYBE WE JUST TAKE $25 OFF THE TOP EVERY TOURNEY AND PUT IT TOWARDS MAKING THE TOURNEYS BETTER SCALE ,BBQ,PRIZES,OR PUT IT TOWARDS THE FINAL OR SOMETHING !!NICE AN EASY AND WONT BE MISSED AT PAYOUTS

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:48 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links