Ok guys tell me what you think. I bought a used rod for flipping and pitching today. When I got home I put a reel on it and went out back to see if I could do the pitching technique. First cast was perfect. Next one was perfect. I'm thinking I'm a natural. Next cast the reel handle hooks my pocket and the rod slams into my gas grill breaking the rod about a foot from the top. It's a clean break. So do I chalk it up to bad luck and a loss of 40 bucks or can this be repaired?

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:25 pm

if it were just an eye I'd say yes, but a clean break like that is probably not fixable.

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:39 pm

ya that's what I'm thinking. I feel like an idiot. But on the upside the first 2 pitches were perfectly straight. lol

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 pm

2 outa 3 not bad! Very Happy been there. If you buy a new rod just get one with a good warranty. if this happens again your all set.

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:51 pm

lol. thats awesome!

I think you'll be fine as long as you dont have a grill on your boat.

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 pm

shawn where did you get it

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:31 pm

I bought it used

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 am

tholdah

lol. thats awesome!

I think you'll be fine as long as you dont have a grill on your boat.

This is what I said to my wife!!!! If I were on my boat this would never have happened.

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:13 am

How long is the rod and what type of action? If it is a clean break you could probably still use the rod by putting the tip guide from the broken piece onto the end of the rod. The action will be a little stiffer but still should be useable Exclamation

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:14 am

sorry. you cant return a used rod. but ive returned a couple of broken rods within 30 days and no questions asked

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:11 am

basshunter62

sorry. you cant return a used rod. but ive returned a couple of broken rods within 30 days and no questions asked

I have returned rods a year or two later and no worries. Some rods offer 2yr,5yr or lifetime warranties. Of coarse you can break 3-5 40.00 rods before you meet the price of a higher quality rod. But when you battling grills that might be a better option.

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 am

prob. not the cheep junk i buy.

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 am

jwall046

basshunter62

I have returned rods a year or two later and no worries. Some rods offer 2yr,5yr or lifetime warranties. Of coarse you can break 3-5 40.00 rods before you meet the price of a higher quality rod. But when you battling grills that might be a better option.

Lmao If I made a clean hook set I would have landed that bad boy!!!

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Put a new top guide on it and use it for a slop/frog rod. Load up with 65lb braid and bomb away with no fear of not getting a sloid hookset.

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:35 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links