If I caught a fish and I wanted a pin, I would not worry much about getting caught. Just bring it to a shop and get it certified and then release just like Mike did.

The transporting of fish is not as stupid a law as some think. I disagree with not being able to have a pin fish released legally.

Back in the day before digital cameras and cell phone cameras were the norm, at best you may have had a polaroid or some other film type camera. The majority of casual fisherman did not carry bulky cameras around with them. In my area there is Arlington bait and tackle. They used to charge a dollar for a picture of a lunker. People would bring what they considered lunkers to that shop all the time for a photo. usually 3 lbs and up. Here is where the issue comes in 99% of all those people then went and released there fish in Spy pond, the closest body of water to the tackle shop. Most never went back to where the fish was caught. This has many dangers to it. It spreads diseases etc etc to waters that may not have had them. Its not much different than having to wash your boat to go in the Quabbin. Its all based on not spreading germs and non native plants etc to another body of water. That is why the transport laws are in place. I wish there was a better system for pin fish to be released legally. Im not saying go break laws but just do what you have to do to get a fish certified and released after. Its not the crime of the century. release it where it was caught.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm

q354fc

I believe the intent of this law is to prevent the introduction of an unwanted species into a body of water. It has happened a lot. In Maine, fish such as pike have been put into lakes that held native brook trout and have decimated the population. There are many instances where this has happened. People who were well intentioned (or not) have taken it upon themselves to stock these fish illegally not realizing the damage they were doing. It has happened all over the country. Ever hear of the Snakehead? They theorize that someone had some of these fish in an aquarium and once they got too large released them. They are all over the place now and they displace native species.
Those people who have transported live fish to be weighed in then released broke the law, even though they meant well. The reason they got away with it is because there was no EPO around. A lot of the weigh stations are just sporting good stores and have no power and probably no desire to make an issue out of it.

exactly, you beat me to it. I was typing mine while you posted yours.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Ya know I was just talking to my boss about snakeheads tonight I was asking if he remembered when a lake in Massachusetts can't remember which 1 was so badly infested that they had to shock the whole lake. it was in the T&G on the front page in the early 2000's I still have the paper somewhere buried in my basement the picture was of water with a bunch of dead fish floating on top

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:48 pm

if i catch a 9.5 or a pin fish, i'll pass on the pin. weigh it, get pictures, release it on the spot.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 pm

shawneramone

pocketfisherman

So how did 9.4 get around it?

Technically he broke the law.

Exactly, but it was justified! I think for the sake of the fish, I'd risk getting caught for transporting and take the fine. The money goes towards a good cause (At least I'll pretend it does if it doesn't exactly in this case) anyway. If I caught a nice pin worthy fish of significant (8lbs +) size, it would be definitely worth it to me to take the hit in the wallet and get that beautiful creature back to its home, to live and fight another day after I got it weighed. It has to be good karma!That's if I insisted on a pin and the conditions were perfect (weigh station close by where fish was caught & open, proper method of transporting in a cooler, etc), but most likely I wouldn't bother. I'd just take some nice pics or videos. Would be nice to have this problem this year!

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 pm

I can understand the reasoning for the law. It makes sense. However, If I am ever lucky enough to hook and land a 9+ lb fish.... I refuse to kill it. I will have my live well with me and bring it to be certified and return it to the waters that I caught it in. then tell anyone who asks.... Oldham!!!

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 pm

stratos1966

I can understand the reasoning for the law. It makes sense. However, If I am ever lucky enough to hook and land a 9+ lb fish.... I refuse to kill it. I will have my live well with me and bring it to be certified and return it to the waters that I caught it in. then tell anyone who asks.... Oldham!!!

Same here brother. If I'm ever lucky enough ill risk the fine just to make sure he gets back home safe. If I cought a 9 id be excited to let it go and have the possibility of catching him again the next year when he's 10 lbs Smile

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 pm

not all those fish came out of Sampson pond they came out of other smaller ponds around the area

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Well lucky for all MAFF Members this year OUR scale will be certified by the local department of weights and measures, so ANY SPECIES of fish can we weighed at the ramp, measured, photos taken, paperwork completed and submitted for a possible pin, I think the most important part is what Sam said "It gets released right back where it came from"

Dave from Cran Bog Hawgs was kind enough to explain the whole process to me as well as tell me where and how to get the scale certified.

I say at the 2014 Sportsman Show we should have a MAFF Member representing in every fish division

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:45 am

We know Oldham will produce some pin worthy crappie

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:48 am

shawneramone

For sure

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:34 am

shawneramone

You said Crappie

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 am

stratos1966

shawneramone

You said Crappie

Here we go again!

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:39 am

CRAP-PAAAAAY

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 am

stratos1966

Here is a list of all the certified 10lb + bass caught in Mass up till 2007 I believe. If you click on the image it gets a bit bigger and clearer

Interesting info.

Have always heard people who did not think that 15lb'r could have come out of Sampson's Pond, but you have what multiple 10+ lb fish out of there on that chart. I really do think that at one time that pond had the biological potential to grow some huge fish, but don't know it we will get another one out of there that size.

Dates are also interesting, nothing huge past the '60s/'70s/'80s except for a few outliers, fishing pressure must not have been what it is today.

Pretty interesting that a 10+ came out of Mary's Pond recently though; my old work owns that land and I've fished it a lot, did not think it could support that large of a fish.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links