My current casting setups are on MH rods. I use one mainly for jigs / flipping into heavy stuff, the other for wormin.

I have 2 spinning setups, one is lightweight, on a M/F rod for my weightless dingers, dropshot etc. The other is on a M/F with braid I use for my topwater frogs.

I'm looking for a setup I can use more for my cranking & spinnerbaits. Looking for recommendations for rod / reel combo.

Also, looking for thoughts/opinions on glass vs. graphite. Anyone fish with glass rods for spinnerbaits?

Posted Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:06 pm

You may like the St. Croix Mojo Bass rod. The crankbait model is 7 ft MH. I use it with a BPS Pro Qualifier baitcaster reel. I love it so far. I'm using a 30 lb braid with a floro leader., casts and retrieves like a dream. Very sensitive rod too.

Posted Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:15 pm

sdesi2010

My current casting setups are on MH rods. I use one mainly for jigs / flipping into heavy stuff, the other for wormin.

I have 2 spinning setups, one is lightweight, on a M/F rod for my weightless dingers, dropshot etc. The other is on a M/F with braid I use for my topwater frogs.

I'm looking for a setup I can use more for my cranking & spinnerbaits. Looking for recommendations for rod / reel combo.

Also, looking for thoughts/opinions on glass vs. graphite. Anyone fish with glass rods for spinnerbaits?

I believe what you are asking requires 2 rods. While the previously mentioned rod (mh) are great for spinner-baits as well. I think a glass rod would be great for crank-baits 7 ft med.
Heavier than graphite but a great parabolic bend. But there is still some questions for yourself to answer. What size crank-baits,how deep,offshore,square bill ect.
As far as reels go i personally use 5:1.1 ratio for cranks and 6:3.1 spinner-baits. You can't go wrong with graphite too. Check out some at bass pro or cabelas and find one in a price range you are willing to spend. I'd also go with Flouro 10lb for cranks.
It is a wide spectrum to narrow down to one rod.But find the style you think you would like to throw most and start there.

Posted Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Considering that I've geeked this out about as much as I've done anything, I hope I can spare you the exspense. So first things first, you should ask yourself how much you are willing to spend. Lets say your limit is $200 of which you could allocate half to rod, half to reel. If you have more, I would put it into the reel up to a limit of $150. Less then skimp on the rod (IMO).

Next, take a look at your cranks. What is the minimum and maximum weight you want to throw with this rod? Probably your lightest crank is 0.25 oz with many shallow (0-6') divers ranging up to 0.5oz (however a KVD 2.5 is 0.656oz.). This is important because you want to match up your rod to what you are actually throwing. Since you want to use it as a spinnerbait to, I would go with a rod that goes from 0.25-0.75 oz. (plus your spinnerbaits probably fall within that range) You may have to sacrifice a little on the moderate action of a true cranking rod to accomplish this. For comparison, take a look at a Daiwa S Rod 7'cranking vs say a KVD 7' Med cranking rod.

As for length, for close quarters square billing over laydowns/stumps a 6'6" will be more accurate but longer casts can be achieved with a 7' rod.

So based on the above, (all less than $100)
Quantum Energy Casting Rod 7' Medium
E21 Carrot Stix Wild Cast Rod 7' Medium
St. Croix Mojo Cast Rod 7' Medium

Go to BPS, pick up each rod and figure out which is best. Then go online and buy it to save the sales tax. Tacklewarehouse has same prices, ships rods for free. And always check ebay before you buy.

Next, reel. Low gear ratios are preferred but unless you are deep cranking this isnt a must (plus long crank handles arent a must either). And if you are spinnerbaiting it, stick with a 6 something gear ratio. Find something with 12/150ish line carrying capacity. Drag not a huge issue since rod will be taking a lot of the shock (vs say a flipping rod). As for actual reel, Abu, Shimano, Daiwa, or Quantum. You'll get what you pay for. I crank with BPS Qualifier. I'm about to buy a replacement and I'm thinking Lews or a Revo Winch.

As for line, I wouldnt use a crank with braid and I wouldnt use a spinnerbait unless I had flouro. So theres that dilemna. You could buy a medium action rod and make up for it with flouro line.

Posted Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 pm

I have been thinking about this as well. I do mostly shallow water cranking and jerkbaits. With this as my main crankin use, I figured I could pair the rod with something I can use more interchangable with spinnerbaits.

My thoughts are that I'd get a 6.1:1 or 6.4:1 reel.

Don't want to go over $300 for both

I have been looking at a different Abu Revo reels. I have a BPS PQ & a Lews Speed Spool, I really like it, but have heard great reviews about the Revo's.

As far as rods, I've been looking at Falcons, Croix & Carrot Stix.

Posted Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:23 pm

sdesi2010

I have been thinking about this as well. I do mostly shallow water cranking and jerkbaits. With this as my main crankin use, I figured I could pair the rod with something I can use more interchangable with spinnerbaits.

My thoughts are that I'd get a 6.1:1 or 6.4:1 reel.

Don't want to go over $300 for both

I have been looking at a different Abu Revo reels. I have a BPS PQ & a Lews Speed Spool, I really like it, but have heard great reviews about the Revo's.

As far as rods, I've been looking at Falcons, Croix & Carrot Stix.

Buy a Revo Winch you'll never have to buy another reel, they are 5.4:1 they have plenty of cranking power and for slow motion jerkbaiting in the early spring or winter you can't go wrong.

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:34 am

My only concern with the 5.4:1 is when I switch over to spinnerbaits, is this too slow of a retrieve, or will I be cranking like crazy?

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:45 am

sdesi2010

My only concern with the 5.4:1 is when I switch over to spinnerbaits, is this too slow of a retrieve, or will I be cranking like crazy?

I wouldn't use same rod for spinner-baits.
You want a softer action rod for cranks.This way the rod absorbs most of the fight without pulling hooks out. A spinner-bait can be fished on any mh rod.
You can also go with any 6Confused reel as long as you are conscious of you retrieve speeds.

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:31 pm

I agree with Jay. Spinnerbait rod goes well as a Jerkbait rod (as stated by KVD) but a cranking rod is really a category by itself.

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Ok, I'm torn between some rods/reels:

Reels:
Revo Winch ~$200
Lews Speed Spool ~ $100
Lews Tourney Speed Spool ~$150

I have a speed spool, possibly like to try the tourney model. Anyone with any experience with these?

Rods:
I'm looking at a few different rods:
Carrot Stix Wild casting ~$100
Falcon Bucco or Bucco micro guide ~ $100-$130
Powell Endurance Crankbait ~$170

What is the benefit of micro guides? Just a smoother cast for longer casts?

Keep in mind, I'm looking to stay around $300, and I know most will say reed is more important. Guess I just want to hear it again. I'm open to other suggestions for both. Thoughts?

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:59 pm

It looks like we are facing the same dilemna.

So here are the facts:

$: Winch 165 ebay, Lew Tourney 154 - Essentially a tie
Bearings: Both 10+1- Tie
Drag: Winch 24 Lew 14ish I think - Advantage Winch (but why you need 24lbs of drag on a cranking reel is beyond me, someone please educate)
Weight: Winch 8.5oz, Lew 6.9 - Advantage Lew (6.9 is about as low as you go, I think 6.5 is lightest available)
Line Capacity: W 12/175 L 12/150 - Tie
Gear Ratio: Both 5.4:1

So there you go. I think you will find the Lews to have a smaller profile (curado-esk). The winch will have a longer handle (apply same torque with less effort) which is a big pro.

I have yet to read a bad review on either reel which is kind of rare. Well there was one idiot on BPS site but theres always one. I imagine the resell on the Winch will be higher and it might be more corrosion resistant over the long haul if those things matter to you.

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 pm

And there is a guy on Tackletour.net selling a powell cranking rod 695cb for $120 (including shipping) if you are interested. Sounds like he used it for one season.

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll check out eBay for the winch.

Posted Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:23 am

You are definitely going to want two settups for spinnerbaits and crankbaits. As far as the crankbait settup, I bought the st croix mojo crankbait rod this summer. I personally didn't like it as a crankbait rod. I felt that it didn't have enough flex to it. It was a little too stiff for me and wasn't quite what I was looking for. I returned it and bought the Wright and McGill Skeet Reese crankbait rod. One of those yellow rods. I love it. It was exactly what I was looking for. It is also glass, which I think is much better than graphite for a crankin stick. As far as weight goes, it is really negligible, at least with this rod. and the feel of the fiberglass easily makes up for any extra weight. I got the 7 foot model which is great for shallow crankin, but also seems to to be fine for the deep divers, at least until I can afford a different rod for that. But in all honesty, I wont be in any rush to get a separate rod for that, this one seems to handle any crank bait i throw with on it. for a reel, I also recommend the bass pro shops pro qualifier. I got my mine for 89.99 and it is awesome. They didnt have any 5.1s in the lefty model so i had to get the 4.7, but it works great for cranking. For your spinnerbait rod you'll want a 6'10"-7' rod with a fast action. Dick's has the new Field and Stream tech spec rods with a spinnerbait specific model. All the rods in that line are great and they are only 59.99 and are often on sale for 50. For a reel, you could go with a pro qualifier there too. If you want to spend a little extra the Revo is a great reel. I have one and it is my favorite out of all my reels. Hope this helps!

Posted Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:38 pm

dude, take a look at the Bass Pro Shop Crankin' Stick. Glass rod, $70.00. Can't go wrong ,..looking at one myself. Bass Pro makes some pretty awsome rods.

Posted Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links