I fish just fine with my 30 buck ugly sticks and my 40 dollar quantum reels from dicks everything from panfish to 35 pound carp never had a problem couldn't find myself paying more then 100 bucks just for a rod

Last edited by eastciderida on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:02 pm

I used to be the same way. I caught that pig in my profile picture on...... man...... here we go.

I had a 6 foot zebco rod with an old ass mitchell spinning reel. I slammed the rod in the door and broke off one whole section. I put on a new top eyelet kinda as a joke and it became my favorite wormin' rod.

Stomach's hurt from laughing yet?

My brother in law started getting on my s*** about my rods and i told him he was nuts to spend 100 bucks on a combo, never mind just a rod or a reel. Then I had another rod break one day and was using one of his setups, a baitcaster that he hated. Haven't turned back. It took me a solid season to get the hang of the bait caster but the more I fished with better rods and reels, the more I realized how many fish I didn't catch by either missing the bit or not setting the hook.

I admit, i'm not buying a rod or reel that's 300 bucks but 100 on a rod and another 100 on a reel for something you are going to take care of is not crazy. I spent 70 bucks on a field and stream bait casting combo from dicks. It worked well but the quality was really low and I broke 2 of the rods. Ends just snapped off while casting crankbaits.....

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi
Been using glass for many years only down fall is the weight,grafight is much lighter but brakes to easy so isay with glass never broke one yet,best catch was a Carp 35 lbs on six lb Stren with a 5.6 foot spinning rig 35 mins to land him wish i had a picture no cam corder at that time.
remember glass will never let you down!!

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:19 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links