Thanks for all the help & info guys.

I'm really trying to justify another reel, especially one in a 5.4:1 or slower, that is really only used for crankin. I don't do that much crankbait fishing, especially the deep water cranking that really requires such a slow retrieve.

My thoughts are hopefully that I can get by with a 6.1:1 retrieve with the shallow water, square & jerkbaits. I'll get a medium action rod that can also do some soft swim baits, plastics and possibly even my lipless cranks.

I can through some 10-12lb flouro on be done.

My setups will end up looking like this for 2012:
- BPS PQ 6.4:1(I think, maybe 6.1:1) on a MH BPS Extreme rod, currenlty w/ braid, for jigs, pitching, spinnerbaits, chatters & buzz baits.

- Lews Speed Spool 6.4:1 with an Abu Veritas MH with 16lb Flouro for wormin, but can also do spinnerbaits & chatters, and lipless in heavier cover.

- Sahara spinning on a MH St. Croix w/ braid for frogin, topwaters & some pitchin

- Diawa spinning on M Mojo Bass w/ 8lb flouro for lightweight presentations, wacky rigs, drop shots etc.

- New setup

Posted Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 pm

sdesi2010

My thoughts are that I'd get a 6.1:1 or 6.4:1 reel.

Don't want to go over $300 for both

I have been looking at a different Abu Revo reels. I have a BPS PQ & a Lews Speed Spool, I really like it, but have heard great reviews about the Revo's.

Look into the Revo Stx and match it with a Veritas Rod. That is $300 right on the dot. I bought both on recommendation and now its my favorite setup that I own. Even more than some of my more expensive equipment.

Personally I think the Veritas is a steal at $100. I beat the hell out of it this year and its still in one piece. Even Mexican Customs that used my rod case as a accordion didn't break it.

Posted Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:01 pm

i have the revo stx on a vendetta rod and i love the combo. the reel is awesome when its working. not tryin to talk down on the reel cuz i love it, but this past season the worm gear crapped out and i had to get it sent out for 3 weeks to get it fixed. its all better now but that was a down fall. i own 3 pro qualifers LOVE THEM great deal for the price durable smooth sleek id recommend them to neone. i like the skeet reese rods alot to. just throwing that in there. Do not buy the veritas rod from abu garcia i know of 4 friends who have them and all have had problems with the eyelets (if thats how you spell them?)

pretty much, im saying you dont have to spend 200$ on a reel for a good one,

i had that mind set half a dozen reels ago, and figured out that i wanted more and more reels for different uses and couldnt spend 200 for each one. the PQ is 100 and sometimes on sale for like 80
ill grab those all day.

rods though havent found a good choice for less than 90$ so cant help ya there. i know i didnt really pinpoint a good combo for your usage but i hope i helped your decision

kevin -bigmouths

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:21 pm

The Spring Fishing Classic @ Bass Pros starts next week. If you trade in an old reel, you can get the BPS Pro Qualifyer for $65! I bought one last year and love it; planning on adding another one to my arsenal this year.

You've probably already done this, but check out thier website for the events and sales. Its a pretty good event with awesome deals and free seminars. (and no, i dont work for BPS). Laughing

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:07 am

tholdah

The Spring Fishing Classic @ Bass Pros starts next week. If you trade in an old reel, you can get the BPS Pro Qualifyer for $65! I bought one last year and love it; planning on adding another one to my arsenal this year.

You've probably already done this, but check out thier website for the events and sales. Its a pretty good event with awesome deals and free seminars. (and no, i dont work for BPS). Laughing

I was at BPS Sunday and the cashier made me aware of the reel trade in. I'm all over that.

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:38 am

im all over that bps gig, i can finally part ways with my orra sx not a huge fan of it. fyi orra sx has a horrbile drag system always tight.

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 pm

chevin37

im all over that bps gig, i can finally part ways with my orra sx not a huge fan of it. fyi orra sx has a horrbile drag system always tight.

That's what she said

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:51 am

Did you get the BPS Spring sale flyer (also available on the site)? The Johnny Morris Carbon baitcaster will be on sale for $69! Normally $129. Thats only on sale March 3rd, but thats also a "rod trade in day", so you can trade in an old rod and get a good discount on a complete new package. Doors open @ 9.

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:35 am

tholdah

Did you get the BPS Spring sale flyer (also available on the site)? The Johnny Morris Carbon baitcaster will be on sale for $69! Normally $129. Thats only on sale March 3rd, but thats also a "rod trade in day", so you can trade in an old rod and get a good discount on a complete new package. Doors open @ 9.

I just read 5 or 6 reviews and that appears to be a really good deal. Do you have one of those reals now?

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 am

I got my flyer yesterday and thinking about making the trek down to Foxboro. I actually have a little money this time around, which is scary and fun at the same time!

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 am

pocketfisherman

I got my flyer yesterday and thinking about making the trek down to Foxboro. I actually have a little money this time around, which is scary and fun at the same time!

I'd be dangerous at BPS with a little $$$$$$$

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 am

its dangerous for me at bass pro with no money....lol the johnny morris reels are a great product shawn. if they are on sale for 70$ thats a steal

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 pm

I usually run 3 rods. This season, I'm going to try and cut it to 2. After some research and trial and error, here's what i will run.

SCMJB 7' crankbait series with abu revo sx, 30lb braid with a fluro leader. My second rod is the plastics series SCMJB with same line setup.

FYI Dicks just had a bunch of St. Croix rods clearanced out. I got one of mine for under 60 bucks! The other one was 100. Scored a revo for 100 bucks too. Pays to reel lefty!! (even though i'm a righty!).

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:09 pm

I was in the area and couldnt resist stopping in today. The Morris CARBON BLACK is the unit on sale, not the Carbon Light, however, the difference (from what the guy said) was a bearing and slight weight difference. O'Ya, and it'll be almost 1/2 $$ on sale. It felt nice and looks cool. The looks almost promise bigger fish! He also said its his new favorite reel (BPS branded) surpasing the Pro-Qualifyer.

On a side note: I walked out $180 poorer (new FF w. free installation)

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:06 pm

there's worse things you could have spent 180 bucks on....haha.

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:51 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links