Good topic brotha...while I agree we should have early start times if possible, I think Chuck eluded to our main issue and its starting on time...

90% of teams show up a 5:45 to BEGIN by 6:30...and then others show up at 6:25 or later, and we all have to wait 15-20minutes just to begin the tourney (im certainly not calling anyone out, this happens every tourney from a different team everytime nearly)

I think, as we discussed last year, if the start time is 6:30, once the clock strikes 6:30, if your not on the water, its your loss..Smoke should launch too and the team (s) that are late need to find him on the water to pay him and check live wells, most of us have his Cell #.

Too often we have 8-10 teams ready to go and on the water 20 minutes early and we are stuck waiting for 1 or 2 teams. Its just not fair to everyone who got up early and planned accordingly. If your late, your late. I know there are plenty of good reasons for running late, but it is what it is, your penalty is simply less time on the water then everyone.

BUT i do think you need to inform smoke that you are here if your late...so no teams come without anyone knowing, get skunked for 5 hours and bounce early without paying....If smoke doesnt know your here, and you roll in with a Hooker like 19.7lb bag, it wouldnt count.

Just my thoughts, while starting early is ideal...starting ON TIME is something we can control right now, without any permits or disturbing neighbors.

-Napa

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:52 pm

What ever the outcome turns out to be. I will still sign- up when i can and if I'm late I'm ok with that.My loss.Start without me. I'll find the proper people to sign in. But the home page says official start time is 7:00 am. This should be changed in case someone is out of the loop.
I've seen this thread duplicated alot in the past 2 years. I'll abide by any rules posted. if i don't like em i don't have to sign up, no worries here. FISH ON!

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:29 pm

ALRIGHT BOYS SETTLE DOWN HA HA IT'S 630 TO 2PM UNLESS STATED DIFFERENT AND I AGREE 630 IM ON MY BOAT AND GONE!!!! EVERY LAUNCH TAKES DIFFERENT AMOUTS OF TIME SO PLAN AHEAD IF WE HAVE MANY TEAMS ENTERED!!! IF SOMEONE ARRIVES 10MIN LATE YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND ME OR JOHNNY TO BE ENTERED IN ANYTHING MORE THAN A HALF HOUR OR SO IS JUST QUESTIONABLE UNLESS YOU BROKE DOWN!!!

AND HONESTLY THERE IS SO MUCH GOING ON IT'S HARD FOR ME TO CHECK ALL LIVE WELLS SO LET'S JUST SAY ANYONE CAUGHT CHEATING WILL HAVE THE s*** BEAT OUTA THEM BY ALL MAFF MEMBERS LOL!!!!

C'MON GUYS I TRUST ALL OF YOU!!!! REMEMBER IT'S JUST FISHING AND THE MONEY MAKES IT A GOOD REASON TO SHOW UP .THE BRAGGING RIGHTS TO ME IS THE MOST IMPORTANT AND GUYS SEEING YOUR NAME AND TEAM ON THE LEADERBOARDS.

AM I RIGHT?????THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT SEE YOU ALL SUNDAY FOR ANOTHER CLASSIC BATTLE OF CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 pm

yip, Probably be there closer to 7. I'll try and be there early but taking my son and it's 2 hr ride. I got your phone numbers if I'm late.If this poses any problems just let me know in advance.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:12 pm

I KNOW YOU LIVE FAR AWAY JAY JUST HIT ME OR JOHNNY WHEN YOUR THERE SO WE CAN COLLECT THAT RENT HA HA

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Good topic and its very easy to take text out of context. I think we all like and respect eachother here. Lets keep it that way.

I agree if your late the tourney starts without you. We were a tad late for the last cartopper and it felt like we were in the crosshairs of everyone on the water. I was like just go guys!!!

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:23 pm

smokecity

I KNOW YOU LIVE FAR AWAY JAY JUST HIT ME OR JOHNNY WHEN YOUR THERE SO WE CAN COLLECT THAT RENT HA HA

Ha Ha, Your gonna take money from a 11yr old?
Lmao
it's all good. Thank you and we will do our best to be there on time. But don't wait up. Very Happy

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:38 pm

that was a great bag at norton res.guys.i would love to start earlier but i think there are too many variables between towns and lakes.i know we can do billington sea earlier but can't plane off until nine a.m.haha my hometown.but that would make early travel for everyone.regardless i plan my travel time and get up accordingly,but i have an advantage.i get up at 3a.m.for work everyday.there's a lot of younger guys with us that like to go out saturday nights,i think i can respect that.gotta get laid sometime.

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Good Evening Anglers,

I think this is a great topic to discuss and I'm glad it was brought up, even if it has been explored in the past. That is the great thing about this site and life in general- different opinions that we share is how we all learn and voice our thoughts on particular aspects of what we do and how we fish. I know there are plently of people that would be willing to start earlier...including myself as I too have caught some of my best fish in the early mornings in the summer and don't have kids to factor in at this point in my life. With that said, I truly believe that Smoke and Jonny have the best interest of "everyone" on the site in the forefront of their minds when they make decisions on when, where and how the tournaments are run. My opinion is that it should be fair and provide an opportunity for all of us to participate in as many tournaments as we can attend. There is a variety in locations and a tighter variety on start times (due to regulations) and I'm sure mainly based on giving teams a fair chance to participate in these outings. I think the start times are spot on, they should just be communicated early enough for teams to decide if they can attend the tournament. Althought we all love to angle and catch big fish, we all have other priorities and commitments to consider so having a clear start time when the tournament is posted should be done everytime. Travel time is what it is, some tournaments we have to drive two hours and others we have almost in our backyards so it's our choice to join or sit it out for the next one. I also couldn't agree more with Smoke that the money is nice but it's also important to have your team recognized on the leader board as a result of superior fishing. The names printed on the winner's list will last for a long time but the money will be spent and gone.

I think that we should start on time and all plan according to that time to Napa's point. Situations occur and ofcourse I completely respect that teams may be a little late or have to cancel. We all have respect for eachother and for the sport of fishing and I know that cheating will not occur......who in their right mind would jeporadize the integrity of the sport, the tournaments and fellow anglers to win or place in a tournament by cheating? With that said if your late you should call Jonny or Smoke ahead of time and the rest of the teams start at the launch time. I also think that we shouldn't bother Smoke or Jonny to check-in late just to pay the money- that's an incredible inconvenience for them as their trying to fish and a big inconvenience for teams to have to search the lake just to pay money for a tournament. I would think that even if you should up late your going to pay the money, and fish until the end- the late start is penalty enough. Sorry for the long post but I do think it's a legitamit topic and I'm glad it was brought up!

Thanks to everyone for making these tournaments happen and successful. In the end it's all about fishing and landing the best bag of the day!

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Well said jeff, Thank you.

we have permits for 6:00 a.m arrival and 7:00 a.m launch, with a return at 2:00

also i know they are suggestions, but

the permit for this next tourney is for WEST monponset, the east side is a public ramp and the fishing and boating access does not acknowledge that as being part of our event.

so we will be fishing the west side for this tourney.

I take some time in reseaching these at the beggining of the season to make sure we have some variety in our lakes and rivers and ponds, i will be asking for everyones input on places for next year and for someone to help seriously run these next year as well.
so if anyone wants to dedicate some time and volunteer and meet up with me (for beers of course) to go over what needs to be done, let me know.

I am not stepping down so to speak and neither is smoke, but we will expanding these and need someone to step up and help out, i will be doing some tourneys on the N.H site next season as well as here. so i'll be busy.
email me with any questions or concerns please jmahlman@comcast.net and of course my phones always on 781-856-0636 after 5:00 p.m

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:54 am

smokecity

ALRIGHT BOYS SETTLE DOWN HA HA IT'S 630 TO 2PM UNLESS STATED DIFFERENT AND I AGREE 630 IM ON MY BOAT AND GONE!!!! EVERY LAUNCH TAKES DIFFERENT AMOUTS OF TIME SO PLAN AHEAD IF WE HAVE MANY TEAMS ENTERED!!! IF SOMEONE ARRIVES 10MIN LATE YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND ME OR JOHNNY TO BE ENTERED IN ANYTHING MORE THAN A HALF HOUR OR SO IS JUST QUESTIONABLE UNLESS YOU BROKE DOWN!!!

AND HONESTLY THERE IS SO MUCH GOING ON IT'S HARD FOR ME TO CHECK ALL LIVE WELLS SO LET'S JUST SAY ANYONE CAUGHT CHEATING WILL HAVE THE s*** BEAT OUTA THEM BY ALL MAFF MEMBERS LOL!!!!

C'MON GUYS I TRUST ALL OF YOU!!!! REMEMBER IT'S JUST FISHING AND THE MONEY MAKES IT A GOOD REASON TO SHOW UP .THE BRAGGING RIGHTS TO ME IS THE MOST IMPORTANT AND GUYS SEEING YOUR NAME AND TEAM ON THE LEADERBOARDS.

AM I RIGHT?????THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT SEE YOU ALL SUNDAY FOR ANOTHER CLASSIC BATTLE OF CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Holy SH*T how naive am I??? I thought the livewell check was to make sure everyone had a bubble box if your using a cooler like me. I never imagined anyone trying to cheat. Also I like what NAPA has to say. Let's roll at 6:30 no matter what!!!

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 am

again we have always said if everyone shows up early, we will launch early.

if people want to change things they can run things Smile

sorry bro

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 am

i remember for the quinsigamond tourny this year i was late, me being stupid by leaving my truck lights on all night delayed my morning by an hour trying to get cables at the sunrise. it was over an hour away, me and my teammate got there but not till 9:00am i called johnny before i left my house to let him know what was going on and if i could still attend. he said i could, and i was just s*** out of luck for 2 and half hours of fishing. Sometimes s*** like this happens, i wouldnt expect anyone to wait for me when you guys say 6:30 start thats what it is, if your not there like i have in the past..sucks for you pay your share and try to make a positive out of it.

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Johnny, you got my number brotha, i dont live far from you, so please dont hesitate to hit me up, we can meet with smoke, toss a few back and figure next year out. Id be more than happy to give you boys a hand. You both go above and beyond everything we could ask for. With these tourneys becoming more and more popular, the least I can do is lend a helping hand.

Im usually free all year, lol, except from next weekend (wedding) until August 12th, this angler will be on his honeymoon, hopefully doing some deep sea fishing in St. Lucia, pounding frozen drinks and catching some exotic fish!

Thanks for ALL you do Johnny and Smoke.......let me know a time and place...and Ill be there

-Napa

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:35 am

HOW BOUT THIS FOR AN IDEA!!! TO MAKE IT EASIER ON US LETS SPLIT UP THE TOURNEYS AND HAVE A FEW DIFFERENT PEOPLE HOST THEM. NAPA IF YOU COULD TAKE A FEW THAT WOULD BE AWESOME BRO AND MAYBE WE DO FREE ENTRY FOR HOSTING TEAMS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

THAT WAY SOME OF OUR VET TEAMS WILL WANNA TAKE A FEW ON AND MAYBE THEY PICK THEIR TOURNEY SITE ALSO!!!

TEAMS HOSTING WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WEIGH INS,TOTAL BAG WEIGHTS ,NUMBER OF FISH CAUGHT PER TEAM ,COLLECTING MONEY,PAYOUTS AND PICS.

I WILL UPDATE LEADERBOARD BUT WILL NEED ALL THE FIGURES TO DO SO ANY BODY INTERESTING IN HELPING WILL BE APPRECIATED BY ALL!!!

THANKS TO NAPA FOR STEPPING UP HELPING RUN A FEW
WHO ELSE IS INTERESTED

Last edited by smokecity on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:43 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links