Hey guys, I'm a newcomer to both the site and fishing and wanted to ask for some advice on gear for a beginner to do some shore bass fishing?

I have no idea about what bait is best to use from the shore, but my Amazon shopping cart has the following in it so far:

> Rod: 7-Foot Shakespeare Medium-Action Ugly Stik Rod

> Reel: Abu Garcia Black Max Low Profile Baitcast Reel (12-Pound/145-Yard)

> 10-pack of assorted Floats (red and white - classic Wink )

Now for the line, lure, sinker and hook I have no idea what to go with?
I was considering some Berkley Trilene but the details on that depend on the lure and whatnot.

Any advice on anything would be appreciated. I don't have a tight budget but don't want to end up buying something I really don't need or can't use.

Anything helps.

-Leo

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:10 pm

First tip get rid of the ugly stick in your cart. There sturdy but they have no sensitivity to them at all they have gone down hill. Look at some abu garcias or shimanos.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks, I actually had this rod in there at first: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Piece-Casting-7-Feet-Medium/dp/B000FIISSS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365636290&sr=8-3&keywords=shimano+rod

Seems like a good buy and it's pretty cheap too.
7 Foot ought to do it? I read in the reviews that a 6 foot was good for bass but I heard that 7 foot was supposed to be best for bass. Confused

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Ok let's not try to sell the guy on Denali or Powell rods at the git go.

I approve of the BlackMax reel. I don't own a BlackMax but I have 2x SilverMax, ProMax, Orra, Revo SX, and Revo STX, so you have chosen a very decent budget baitcaster. You will need to spend some time with it to understand how to use it effectively.

The medium Ugly Stick is also fine, you can upgrade your gear once you have enough experience to begin forming preferences. Right now you don't know what you like or want. This is a good general purpose rod to start.

The bobbers tells me that you want to baitfish. No issue there but as you spend time on this site you will want to begin working other baits. I think the setup you have chosen will work with a variety of baits and lures.

For line I would recommend 17lb Trilene in the red package. It's heavy enough to work the weeds and forgiving enough for all of the birds nests you're going to get as you shake down your new setup. And if you get a birds nest that you can't untangle you can cut off the line without too much pain. Once you learn how to use your reel, you can invest in Power Pro Super 8 Slick.

For sinkers you should be aware that lead is now illegal in Mass. but you might still find it for sale at certain stores. Buy steel, tin or tungsten weights but not lead.

For hooks you can use any bait hooks you like. Eagle Claw is an affordable brand. I say this because you seem to be leaning toward bait fishing. Not sure what you'll be using for bait but if you are fishing for bass you can use size 4 to a 2/0 or larger. If you start fishing soft plastics you enter an entire new realm of hooks, offsets, wide gaps, etc.

Now that I have dared to provide this advice I fully expect my fellow MAFFers will completely contradict me and inform me in detail as to the errors in my recommendations.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Laughing Don't agree with the line. 17lb will be nothing but problems for a beginner. I would start with 10 or 12 lb test mono for the type of fishing that you intend on doing.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for all the info!!!!!
I just put in bobbers because I thought I need them but I guess not?
I'll put anything on my line if it works. Laughing
Should I go with green or clear trilene?

I hope I don't start an aggressive debate with my questions... Smile

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:54 pm

don51

Laughing Don't agree with the line. 17lb will be nothing but problems for a beginner. I would start with 10 or 12 lb test mono for the type of fishing that you intend on doing.

Love you Don, even bought your cracked old Heritage kayak, and yet I began with 17lb Trilene after receiving same advice and found it to be quite manageable and forgiving on my first baitcaster. Granted, I wasn't bait fishing from shore and I was fishing mostly spinner baits. So perhaps you have a point. I just worry that mono that is too light will birds nest badly for a baitcaster noob.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Line color is irrelevant at this point. You can always change the color of your leader if this concerns you.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Alright clear it is.
I understand that different lures are needed for different conditions and possibilities are endless, but there must be a few that I ought to pick up that would give me some versatility?

I appreciate all the advice guys.
I think soon I'll be bassing it up like a king. Very Happy

Oh, also I guess I need different sinkers for different lures..

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:06 pm

What are you fishing for and where will you be fishing?

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Largemouth bass, but I don't have a spot yet. I plan to fish from the shore, I do have an inflatable yellow noob "vessel" that I could paddle put with though. Laughing

I would also be down with fishing a different kind of bass or fish for that matter but it seems there are many largemouths in MA and lots of fun to be had.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 pm

I would suggest braid over mono I think, as some one that is learning to use a baitcaster; the lack of line memory and the fact you dont have to worry about it kinking in a bad birds nest is just better IMO.

I did a lot of shore fishing last season and had the best luck on a hollow body frog, followed by cranks and inline spinners. Getting off shore is going to increase your productivity a ton, but can be expensive. I luckily got a trolling motor and canoe from family.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:40 pm

I saw a video about hollow frogs earlier today and really want to try one!
Do I go with 3/4 ounce or 5/8 ounce? Green tan yellow or black?

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Buy a spinning rod and reel. Spend the most you can afford. Cheap tackle will turn you off of the sport.

6'6" medium action rod, spinning reel 2500/3000 series.

Fish Senko's from shore with light line 6 to 8lb test with this setup and you will have some sport...

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 pm

I use a livetarget in black and I think its a 1/4, maybe 5/8

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links