I agree with starting off with spinning gear

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:01 pm

johnyak

Buy a spinning rod and reel. Spend the most you can afford. Cheap tackle will turn you off of the sport.

6'6" medium action rod, spinning reel 2500/3000 series.

Fish Senko's from shore with light line 6 to 8lb test with this setup and you will have some sport...

I think I'm gonna be trying a bit of everything from the looks of it.
My shopping cart is getting fuller and fuller. Very Happy

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm

johnyak

Buy a spinning rod and reel. Spend the most you can afford. Cheap tackle will turn you off of the sport.

6'6" medium action rod, spinning reel 2500/3000 series.

Fish Senko's from shore with light line 6 to 8lb test with this setup and you will have some sport...

perfect advice, keepin it simple and youll catch fish. and before you know it you'll move on to multiple set ups and start to find your groove

well put johnyak

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Do I need floaters to use senkos? Probably right?
Noob question. Crying or Very sad

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:13 pm

leo95

Do I need floaters to use senkos? Probably right?
Noob question. Crying or Very sad

No Just weightless on a 3/0 or 4/0 hook. You could put a 1/4 ounce bullet weight on there but as far as I know most people fish them weightless

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:16 pm

The Senko's are heavy and will sink slowly without any weight. If it's a windy day fish a dropshot rig.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:17 pm

and how about bobbers?
Probably to keep it from going all the way down right?

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:18 pm

i personally like to just fish them weedless with a 2 ot worm hook and let fall slowly, or ill put a bullet style weight 3/16 to1/4 that slides on the line before the hook if i want a quicker fall to the bottom, simple technique to catch bass. weedless and weightless. no floaters needed just some hooks, maybe some weights and of course light line

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm

You want it to go all the way down. A lot of the time the fish will take it as it's sinking. Watch your line. If it jumps or starts moving to the side set the hook. If the bait makes it to the bottom, let it sit there for as long as you can stand and then twitch it. Reel it back slow with pauses. Forget about bobbers unless you use shiners

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 pm

So much help on my first day here and everyone get along famously.
I love this place!!! Smile

I think I'll bookmark all of the other fancy lures and go with the following to start off:

Okuma Trio High Speed Spinning Reel, Blk/Orange, Trio-40S

Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting Monofilament Economy Packs(8-Pound,Clear)

Shakespeare Two-Piece Medium Action Ugly Stik Spinning Rod, 7-Feet

or

Shimano Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rod (6.6 Feet)

The reason I put the two rods is because I couldn't find a 6.6 ugly stik, but the Shimano seems kind of cheap and since I'm supposed to get a good rod as my first I think a Shakespeare would be goodish unless someone has an even better suggestion?

Oh, and now I have to pick some Senkos. Any tips on color/length/brand?

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm

field and stream makes a good producct for the price. where are you from anyway? is there a dicks sporting goods close? bass pro? cabelas? natick outdoor store? id suggest going to a store and getting a feel for one before you buy one blind.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Good idea I think I'll hit up one of those shops.
I remember smushing them around in the packaging when I was younger at Dick's and Bass Pro Shops.

Any advice on the rod? Confused

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Check out abu garcias

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:52 pm

+1 on Spinning Gear to start + Senko.

This pfleuger combo was one of my first and I really like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Pflueger-Trion-Spinning-6-Feet-0-Inch/dp/B0036XEAU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365648646&sr=8-1&keywords=pflueger+trion

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 pm

kizel13

Check out abu garcias

jjbagoose

+1 on Spinning Gear to start + Senko.

This pfleuger combo was one of my first and I really like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Pflueger-Trion-Spinning-6-Feet-0-Inch/dp/B0036XEAU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365648646&sr=8-1&keywords=pflueger+trion

I checked out the rods. Decisions decisions. Wink

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links