rods can have the same specs per say but can feel different, most of the time that holds true. so just find a good length for yourself and get a feel for a few in the store. 6'6 - 7'2 would be a good start id go for a fairly soft to fast tip and something with some back bone. that way if you decide to start throwing other baits like cranks jigs etc you wont have to buy another rod to handle the different weights and sizes. dont get to flimsy of a rod cuz you might regret it when you want to throw a spinnerbait, that can make for alot of work and will lose interest in a spinnebait...not good because spinnerbaits are so great

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:03 pm

I agree with Kevin. Medium heavy rods from 2 different company's can feel completely different. Go to the store. Pick up. Shake them around. Compare the ones you like and then buy them all. JK on the buy them all but if you get back into it all the way you will eventually buy a bunch of rods

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 am

As I said, lots of opinions....and all of them valid in their own right.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 am

Are you now totally overwhelmed Question Laughing

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:47 am

Lol right? That's the thing about fishing. It's a simple idea. Just put a hook on some line with some bait. But then...options up the ass

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:49 am

OK I think this is my last question, if not one of my last, and that is what size hook/what kind of hook should I get for senko?
Probably an offset worm hook, I saw a guy in a video putting senko in it so that the straight part of the hook lines up with the body of the senko.
Seems right, now I just need to know what size I need, right?

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 am

Depends on the size of the Senko. I like to use the standard 5in some may use smaller 4in. For 5in I like off set worm hook #4 size. Good luck.I fish the shore all the time and best bait by far and easiest to learn is the Senko. I usually prefer the dark colors.Black pumpkin seed and watermelon.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 am

Thanks a lot.
I'll pick those up ASAP then! Smile

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:59 am

Oh yeah one more thing: Is this reel OK for a medium action 7 foot shakespeare rod?: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045E8R34/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Seems like a good combo, I don't know which option to choose in the drop-down menu on amazon though..

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:24 am

I have a trio reel and love it but i use it for tossing top water frogs matched with a 7'6" heavy rod. Look at dicks sporting goods you can get a good Abu Garcia combo for like $80 and they have a $20 mail in rebate. Senkos go to dicks they have a mixed kit with like 120 senkos for $18 that way you get a good mix of colors and sizes.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 am

Looks like a sweet deal,
I might have to snag it! Thanks! Smile

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 am

I was in your shoes about a year ago, so I would like to give you my thoughts.

First, all the information can be overwhelming. Also, you can throw a lot of money at trying to catch fish, but that won't necessarily make you any more successful at it.

I would go to a store with staff that should be knowledgeable, such as Bass Pro Shops or Dick's Sporting Goods, so they can help you and hopefully make recommendations as necessary.

As far as the rod, reel and line:
I would spend about $40 - $60 on a spinning combo with a 6'6" medium action 2 piece graphite rod and a reel with 3 or more bearings. The reel will probably be specified to hold about 140 yards of 8lb monofiliment line. I would have them spool it up with 8lb monofilament line. If a protection plan is relatively inexpensive I would get it too, as you will most likely break the tip off the rod in a screen door or trunk, and it’s cheaper than buying a new rod. I wouldn’t worry so much about brand.

Are Ugly Stiks good rods? Yes, I own a couple, and have caught many fish on them. However, they do have soft tips, and that is not so great for fishing worms etc.

Do I prefer braid over monofiliment? Yes, but fishing monofiliment is more forgiving when tying knots, grabbing with your hands, and setting the hook. You can cheaply and easily switch to braid down the road.

As far as tackle:
I'd buy a bag of 3" stick baits, such as senkos, (watermelon orage with flecks has been my best producer), and some #1 extra wide gap worm hooks. A couple of Mepps agila #2 spinner baits (or similar in line spinner baits). A floating minnow lure or two, about 1/8 to 1/4 oz in size. Finally, some #2 non-lead split shot. Split shotting soft plastics is a simple and effective technique. Senkos catch bass, and in my experience 3” senkos catch bass big and small. In line spinners and floating minnows are easy to fish and produce also.

You'll also need some clippers to cut line, and needle nose pliers to remove hooks etc.

I’d also buy a plastic utility box to hold this stuff. As you get more stuff, and you will, you can get a tackle bag.

A good resouce that I found for bass fishing information , besides this board is, http://www.bassresource.com/how-to-fish/.

I would keep this all in your vehicle (why I suggested a two piece rod). This way you can fish when you get an hour or so. I find I make few fishing trips, but fish mostly before work, after work, and an hour or two here and there. The more you fish the better you’re going to get at it.

You're going to spend about $100 on all this gear, so if you don't have the cash, you could always get a kit such as a Shakespeare Catch More Fish-Bass - Spinning kit. Are they ideal? No, but they're cheap, all inclusive and will work. However, if you get serious you'll end up replacing it pretty soon.

I’m far from an expert. There are many people that are more knowledgeable than me, but I have been in your shoes, and this is my 2 cents.

Good luck and tight lines,
Patrick

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:24 am

Or here is advice better written than mine:
http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginning_bass_fishing.html

Patrick AKA "Thread killer"

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 pm

azmlii

I was in your shoes about a year ago, so I would like to give you my thoughts.

First, all the information can be overwhelming. Also, you can throw a lot of money at trying to catch fish, but that won't necessarily make you any more successful at it.

I would go to a store with staff that should be knowledgeable, such as Bass Pro Shops or Dick's Sporting Goods, so they can help you and hopefully make recommendations as necessary.

As far as the rod, reel and line:
I would spend about $40 - $60 on a spinning combo with a 6'6" medium action 2 piece graphite rod and a reel with 3 or more bearings. The reel will probably be specified to hold about 140 yards of 8lb monofiliment line. I would have them spool it up with 8lb monofilament line. If a protection plan is relatively inexpensive I would get it too, as you will most likely break the tip off the rod in a screen door or trunk, and it’s cheaper than buying a new rod. I wouldn’t worry so much about brand.

Are Ugly Stiks good rods? Yes, I own a couple, and have caught many fish on them. However, they do have soft tips, and that is not so great for fishing worms etc.

Do I prefer braid over monofiliment? Yes, but fishing monofiliment is more forgiving when tying knots, grabbing with your hands, and setting the hook. You can cheaply and easily switch to braid down the road.

As far as tackle:
I'd buy a bag of 3" stick baits, such as senkos, (watermelon orage with flecks has been my best producer), and some #1 extra wide gap worm hooks. A couple of Mepps agila #2 spinner baits (or similar in line spinner baits). A floating minnow lure or two, about 1/8 to 1/4 oz in size. Finally, some #2 non-lead split shot. Split shotting soft plastics is a simple and effective technique. Senkos catch bass, and in my experience 3” senkos catch bass big and small. In line spinners and floating minnows are easy to fish and produce also.

You'll also need some clippers to cut line, and needle nose pliers to remove hooks etc.

I’d also buy a plastic utility box to hold this stuff. As you get more stuff, and you will, you can get a tackle bag.

A good resouce that I found for bass fishing information , besides this board is, http://www.bassresource.com/how-to-fish/.

I would keep this all in your vehicle (why I suggested a two piece rod). This way you can fish when you get an hour or so. I find I make few fishing trips, but fish mostly before work, after work, and an hour or two here and there. The more you fish the better you’re going to get at it.

You're going to spend about $100 on all this gear, so if you don't have the cash, you could always get a kit such as a Shakespeare Catch More Fish-Bass - Spinning kit. Are they ideal? No, but they're cheap, all inclusive and will work. However, if you get serious you'll end up replacing it pretty soon.

I’m far from an expert. There are many people that are more knowledgeable than me, but I have been in your shoes, and this is my 2 cents.

Good luck and tight lines,
Patrick

Thank you for all the wise words and good tips.
I plan to harass the staff at a bass pro shops location soon for information. Razz I am definitely going with Senkos and I'm going to buy and try different gear over the coming months. I already have pliers and clippers and a kit to put all my stuff. My arms are itchin' to cast! Thanks again for all the great advice,

-Leo

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links