leo95

What do I do here?

Don't get freaked out, I have landed plenty of big fish with a Shimano Sienna. Get the 8lb model.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm gonna go with a cheap shimano setup for the first few trips and then let my brother/girlfriend use it when they join me and I'll get myself some more serious gear. Probably not a $200 Shimano Ci4 right off the bat but something a bit more... more.

I'm gonna be using Senkos and worm hooks for now on some 8lb mono line. Thanks for all the good advice guys, I really appreciate it and hope to be fishing with many of you in the future as well as giving my advice and opinion on posts/questions here on the forums as I learn. I've been on some other forums for other hobbies of mine I had in the past that ended up being a bit more pretentious and unforgiving as you guys. I truly appreciate all of this and am happy to be a member of the MAFF family.

Thanks.

P.S. Tight lines!! (As you guys say Wink )

Last edited by leo95 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 pm

and yes I'm going with the 8lb model Smile

Edit: Thanks

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:51 pm

You can always change line or if reel comes with extra spool use a lighter pound test on second spool.

The Stradic c14,3000 one of my favorite spinning reels...

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Skip the Sienna, it is an ultra light reel. I use it for ice fishing. Go up another model to the Sedona, if that is in your price range. I have one I've used for the last 3 seasons on a drop shot rod and had no problems with it.

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:28 am

thelucky

Lot of advice in this thread, but the most important thing about fishing is to have fun. In the end it doesn't matter what rod, reel, or lure your using if your not having fun. Don't worry about how many or how big of a fish you catch. Fish with no expectation and enjoy nature. The catching part will eventually come.

This is the best advice I've seen yet. My first few times out I didn't catch squat. But I did see a river otter, lots of frogs and turtles and snakes, beautiful herons and other birds...

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:25 am

Kalin grubs are alot of fun and easy to use and when texas rigged are weedless and can be tossed in anything.Love cruising them on top and watching a bass come up and blast it.

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:08 pm

don51

Skip the Sienna, it is an ultra light reel. I use it for ice fishing. Go up another model to the Sedona, if that is in your price range. I have one I've used for the last 3 seasons on a drop shot rod and had no problems with it.

Don, Sienna is a line of reels available in different sizes. I have one that sees light salt duty.

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:50 am

Yeah, I realized that after I posted it. Exclamation I have a 500 for ice fishing so that is what made me state it. I stand corrected Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:25 am

Why buy a reel your gonna have to upgrade? Id make the jump to the symmetre or higher.

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:11 am

the sienna 2500 is a perfectly good reel that doesn't need to be upgraded. it will last a long time with no problems. best cheap real made and I prefer it to some of the higher priced shimanos as it is easier to crank. I have 5 or 6 of them and dhutch posted a picture with 3 of them in his boat.

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:42 am

Maybe ive had just had bad luck with them then. But i will never buy a sienna or a sedona ever again

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:45 am

I fish a Sienna now and it's good for me. I like to change out reels every 2 seasons so I tend to keep them in the $40-80 range.

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Leo,

You have a ton of good info here. Get one of the spinning set ups mentioned and just go and have fun fishing. After you have been doing it a while, you will know better what gear suits you and your style of fishing.

Tight lines,

Charlie

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Two year old reel to me is my new reel. I expect to get at least 10 years, no, more like 20 before the reel is ready to be replaced...

You can count on good quality products...

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links