bassinbrooksy

mrsdano

Anyone have any thoughts on zoom toads...
Question

not a fan of horny toads , unlike most other zoom products they dont hold up very well and i dont think the feet give enough action to really make a disturbance. if a good soft buzz frog is what you are looking for give strike kind rage toads a try, you have to rig them just right or they will flip over on the retrieve but they are fairly durable, have strike kings coffe scent which supposedly fish love but i think more than anything it does a good job at masking human scent, and the feet are the propietery strike king rage tails which create a crazy churning disturbance on the water. in my opinion they are far superior to zoom horny toads but many people swear by horny toads so maybe its just personal preferance

I love Horny Toads, they catch hogs. That being said, I think they changed the plastic or something. The new ones are in no way like the older ones made 3 or 4 years ago. I bought some bullfrog color horny toads last year and they are complete garbage. I still have a few packs of the originals. The bass absolutely crush them if its raining out. I buzz them on occasion but mostly let them do their own thing on the way down. I caught a 6.2 a few years back in a MAFF tourney on a toad. Too many 5's to count. Great bait if you can score some older bags.

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 11:29 pm

kman

bassinbrooksy

mrsdano

Anyone have any thoughts on zoom toads...
Question

not a fan of horny toads , unlike most other zoom products they dont hold up very well and i dont think the feet give enough action to really make a disturbance. if a good soft buzz frog is what you are looking for give strike kind rage toads a try, you have to rig them just right or they will flip over on the retrieve but they are fairly durable, have strike kings coffe scent which supposedly fish love but i think more than anything it does a good job at masking human scent, and the feet are the propietery strike king rage tails which create a crazy churning disturbance on the water. in my opinion they are far superior to zoom horny toads but many people swear by horny toads so maybe its just personal preferance

I love Horny Toads, they catch hogs. That being said, I think they changed the plastic or something. The new ones are in no way like the older ones made 3 or 4 years ago. I bought some bullfrog color horny toads last year and they are complete garbage. I still have a few packs of the originals. The bass absolutely crush them if its raining out. I buzz them on occasion but mostly let them do their own thing on the way down. I caught a 6.2 a few years back in a MAFF tourney on a toad. Too many 5's to count. Great bait if you can score some older bags.

I agree older ones are better.. not formed right anymore... seems they are rushing production.. i've complained and they sent me 5 new bags of better formed ones... I also use the BassPro paddlefeet on a windy day... but not nearly the hits as with the zoom.. I also get good hits on Manns hard nose .. but again, not as good as zoom... why they change a good thing is beyond me..

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 6:34 am

I should have explained that Yamamotos get their most use from me when the bite is tough or money is in the mix. "Wacky Worm" company makes some good product i been using for a few years.
Yum are cheaper and lighter. They last and seem to work fine when fish are eating (for me). But i use wacky worms brand now and some senkos for a special occasion Cool .
Considering i throw a worm so little now i don't spend a lot anyway.
I only throw zoom horny toad as well. They to don't last long. But i also use them sparingly in areas that don't have a lot thick vegetation.
I swim them fast and use hollow body frogs for heavy stuff. It's good to know they don't last like they used too though. When i need to restock I'll get another brand.
Thanks

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 7:52 am

My go to soft plastic is Zoom Fat Albert curly tail grubs in watermelon w/red flake. I rig them on a 1/8oz lead-free round jig head with 1/0 Owner hook. The 1/8oz is light enough for a very natural fall but fast enough for tail action.

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links