whats the best braided line? visibility, sensitivity, and strength. I recently bought spiderwire inviso braid, lets just say this stuff was garbage!

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Braid is pretty terrible in general. I would stick with mono.

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:54 am

i use power pro/have tried alot of different kinds of braid i use 40pd/10 diameter on baitcaster,50 pd on frog setup,flouro for light line setup (seagar)6 or 8 pd,mono 10 or 12 pd for topwater spinning and light cranks depending on how many rods you have all of the line types have a specific purpose/also water clarity can come into play when fishing clear water smaller diameter less vis. hope this helps

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:07 am

I've moved to braid on the most of my baitcasters because it provides extreme sensitivity and a better hook set. I can feel the pulse of the blades of my spinnerbaits during retrieve, something I could never do using mono, so I know when I've picked up weed or the lure isn't spinning properly. I can feel every strike. I still get a birds nest or two every trip out but that's usually due to my being stupid, like casting into the wind without re-setting my brake, or trying to cast across my body in an awkward way. And nine times out of ten I can pick the birds nest out and regroup. I tend to use PowerPro Super 8 Slick these days but I also have Berkley Pro Braid on one reel. Both lines are different but both work well, you just have to know how to set your reel and then practice using them.

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:57 am

3 "general" line guidelines you'd probably find good agreement on

braid for stained water or heavy vegetation.
fluoro for clearer water. fluoro is insanely sensitive.
mono for topwater or any time you want some stretch.

i personally would never throw braid in a clear water place like a cape pond.

i use power pro and have never had a problem. sunline fluoro. very expensive for both though.

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:11 am

jcotier

Braid is pretty terrible in general. I would stick with mono.

Huh? Question

Braid is terrible? Really?

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:58 am

I use braid exclusively due to its sensitivity, no stretch and no memory. I hate the way mono stretches before you feel something. When using mono, I just feel blind, but with braid, I'm able to feel every piece of brush my lure is touching as it comes through the water.

If water claritiy is an issue, I tie on about 3-6ft of 10lbs fluoro with a modified albright knot....very strong knot and now you have the best of both worlds.

I'm sure there are some applications were mono is best and maybe you guys can school me such situations and conditions.

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:59 am

scoobystas

I use braid exclusively due to its sensitivity, no stretch and no memory. I hate the way mono stretches before you feel something. When using mono, I just feel blind, but with braid, I'm able to feel every piece of brush my lure is touching as it comes through the water.

If water claritiy is an issue, I tie on about 3-6ft of 10lbs fluoro with a modified albright knot....very strong knot and now you have the best of both worlds.

I'm sure there are some applications were mono is best and maybe you guys can school me such situations and conditions.

Mono - top water

Mono - certain crank baits

Mono - Hang my bird feeder outside my home

Mono - My sons fishing outfit

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:25 am

[quote="tommyboy"]
scoobystas

I use braid exclusively due to its sensitivity, no stretch and no memory. I hate the way
Mono - top water

Mono - certain crank baits

Mono - Hang my bird feeder outside my home

Mono - My sons fishing outfit

Mono = good backing prior to lining braid on my reel. Cool

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:44 am

nofx99

whats the best braided line? visibility, sensitivity, and strength. I recently bought spiderwire inviso braid, lets just say this stuff was garbage!

I use power pro, to flip, frog, power pro to senko and wacky rig, power pro to tube and shakey head, power pro to floss my teeth and power pro to mend my torn rain gear.

when all else fails Ill use power pro as a back up too

Moss Green in any water clarity doesnt make a difference, Ive caught fish drop shotting 50 lb braid on a flipping stick, pretty much sums it up

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 am

How about tying off your boat to a dock?

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 am

jwall046

How about tying off your boat to a dock?

Sure, why not I bet with 80lb Power Pro I can Knee Board Off the back of your Fish and Ski!!

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 am

I like the spider wire. 50# on my flippin stick. Never any trouble.

Mono on my topwater and cranking rods...need that stretch here.

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 am

shawneramone

Nah just horse em in, rip the hooks right out of there mouth if they are big enough they'll hold on!!

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:01 am

sinista

shawneramone

Nah just horse em in, rip the hooks right out of there mouth if they are big enough they'll hold on!!

From their mouth to my fingers. No thanks

Posted Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:02 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links