Hit a S.E. Mass pond with a friend today. We threw slammers and woodtails during the lowlight, cloudy hours then jigs and spinnerbaits under bluebird conditions. We boated 20 fish in the first 2 hours on the swimbaits then it took us the rest of the day to get to the 35 fish for the day. best 5 went 21-22 lbs. including two 5's two 4's and a 3.

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Sweet bag! Are slammers those real big swimbaits made locally somewhere, South Shore maybe?

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:15 pm

That's awesome!!! Never had a day like that. Great details.

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:43 am

great i love those autum days on the water

AND i think there is room for you other 10 rods on your left Wink

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:42 am

volume4130

Sweet bag! Are slammers those real big swimbaits made locally somewhere, South Shore maybe?

No. MS Slammers are made out of California by Mike Shaw. I think you are refering to the Clacker sold by troutman AKA the Colonel. That bait is a joke, poor quality and WAY overpriced. The Woodtail looks just like a slammer but has a wood tail insted of a soft plastic tail and it is custom made by a guy in Conn named Joe Wood. Both baits are wooden and are made to wake/pop on the surface or retrieved just under the surface on a straight retrieve. We were throwing the 9" versions in "Yellow Perch" and "sunfish"

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 am

stratos1966

volume4130

No. MS Slammers are made out of California by Mike Shaw. I think you are refering to the Clacker sold by troutman AKA the Colonel. That bait is a joke, poor quality and WAY overpriced. The Woodtail looks just like a slammer but has a wood tail insted of a soft plastic tail and it is custom made by a guy in Conn named Joe Wood. Both baits are wooden and are made to wake/pop on the surface or retrieved just under the surface on a straight retrieve. We were throwing the 9" versions in "Yellow Perch" and "sunfish"

looked up the slammers and found em online for $33. holy s. that is a ton of money on a bass lure. are you finding them/buying them somewhere cheap that you care to share with the board? any info is appreciated. thanks a bunch!

great looking catch btw! amazing day.

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 am

I used to get mine locally at Bills Bait and Tackle in Norton but he doesn't have anymore and is going out of business at the end of the month.Thats what I pay for them too. Thats not that bad for a wood swimbait. I just paid $80 for a 3:16 bait and there are some out there that cost more. They float so it's not like if you break one off it's lost. The one I was using I bought 3 years ago. I have used it dozens and dozens of times. Probably cast it 2000 times. How many bags of senkos would someone go through if they made 2000 casts? At $8 a bag you would probably spend more on senkos over 3 years then you would a swimbait

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:43 am

stratos1966

I used to get mine locally at Bills Bait and Tackle in Norton but he doesn't have anymore and is going out of business at the end of the month.Thats what I pay for them too. Thats not that bad for a wood swimbait. I just paid $80 for a 3:16 bait and there are some out there that cost more. They float so it's not like if you break one off it's lost. The one I was using I bought 3 years ago. I have used it dozens and dozens of times. Probably cast it 2000 times. How many bags of senkos would someone go through if they made 2000 casts? At $8 a bag you would probably spend more on senkos over 3 years then you would a swimbait

touche. i tear through senkos like it's my job. you'd think i own stock in gary yamamoto. point taken, gonna buy me a slammer. thanks stratos!

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 am

unbob

stratos1966

touche. i tear through senkos like it's my job. you'd think i own stock in gary yamamoto. point taken, gonna buy me a slammer. thanks stratos!

Bob just a heads up, you cannot throw a slammer or similar baits on lighter bass gear. You need a minimum of a 7' heavy flipping stick, and thats a bare minimum. These baits weight in at 3-4 ounces. You also should use either 20lb floro or mono or 50- 65lb braid letting water clarity dictate.

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 am

stratos1966

unbob

stratos1966

Bob just a heads up, you cannot throw a slammer or similar baits on lighter bass gear. You need a minimum of a 7' heavy flipping stick, and thats a bare minimum. These baits weight in at 3-4 ounces. You also should use either 20lb floro or mono or 50- 65lb braid letting water clarity dictate.

good to know. 3-4 ozs?? whoa.

i have a 6'-6" MH BPS rod and bps pro qualifier baitcaster rigged with 65 lb braid. you think that's too light?

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:30 pm

maybe for the mini slammer or the 7" slammer but definitly not the 9"

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Ok MS slammers are what I was thinking of (made by Mike Shaw), I must have read somewhere that people bought them locally...ie your shop in Norton, and thought they were made in the area.

How do you fish a lure that size? near weedlines? open water? Doesn't seem like they're diving very deep if they're made of wood.

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 pm

volume4130

Ok MS slammers are what I was thinking of (made by Mike Shaw), I must have read somewhere that people bought them locally...ie your shop in Norton, and thought they were made in the area.

How do you fish a lure that size? near weedlines? open water? Doesn't seem like they're diving very deep if they're made of wood.

They are "wake" baits by design, made to be worked at the surface but they can be cranked down a foot or so depending on the individual bait. Because they are made of wood and wood is not consistant in terms of density, hardness, weight ect, one bait can vary a bit from the next. It is that way with all wooden baits.
They work everywhere, on weedlines, open water, alone docks. Throw it anywhere you would throw a top water. It just generates bigger strikes alond with smaller ones. A big fish that might ignore a popper will CRUSH a swimbait because it is a BIG slow EASY meal.
Throw a slammer along a pad edge or over submerges coontail or cabbage and it will call out the fish. Thats how I got them yesterday. I was working it over the tops of submerged coontail. With the high pressure the bass were burried in the coontail but all the commotion caused by this bait drew them out to eat.

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:58 am

I met a guy yesterday that makes his own swimbaits and has a company. Realpreyswimbaits.com. I do not know him and i have never thrown a swimbait. Do you think it is worth giving his product a try?

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:10 am

jwall046

I met a guy yesterday that makes his own swimbaits and has a company. Realpreyswimbaits.com. I do not know him and i have never thrown a swimbait. Do you think it is worth giving his product a try?

Where did you meet him? He lives out in New Braintree in the western part of the state. I have seen his baits in person and they are nice. They have a tight wiggle to them. The biat I saw and tried was a sinking bait. They are made of a different type of plastic that is more expensive and supposed to be more durable that is why they carry a bigger price then other soft plastic baits. The thing with soft plastic baits is they work great but 1-2 pickeral or pike and they are ruined.
I honestly am not the best one to ask about sinking swimbaits. I have yet to fully grasp the concept. I have caught a few fish on them but they seemed more like an accident fish then me doing something right and getting bit if you know what I mean. It is one of the things i need to spend more time working on. if you want to see some amazing video go on you tube and type in "Huddleston swimbait" or "Butch brown" and watch in amazment.

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:22 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links