I Live very close to him. I was fishing Doans pond in north Brookfield last night. He walked up and introduced himself. he also mentioned the Huddleston. Nice guy.
I live near South Pond and the they have a lot of trout in there and i didn't know what might be a good bait to try. i bought some Yum money minnows in trout color to try there?
i understand the soft bait getting ruined. I was concerned about that at a place like Quaboag.
Do you think a huddleston or ms would be better?
What about cobbsee? Do you throw swimbaits up there?

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:20 am

jwall046

I Live very close to him. I was fishing Doans pond in north Brookfield last night. He walked up and introduced himself. he also mentioned the Huddleston. Nice guy.
I live near South Pond and the they have a lot of trout in there and i didn't know what might be a good bait to try. i bought some Yum money minnows in trout color to try there?
i understand the soft bait getting ruined. I was concerned about that at a place like Quaboag.
Do you think a huddleston or ms would be better?
What about cobbsee? Do you throw swimbaits up there?

I have not tried any of the smaller, bulk sold, swimbaits that you need to add your own hooks to. They all tend to be too small for my likeing. The thing about fishing subsurface swimbaits is that you cannot see your bait. You do not know what it is doing, what depth it is traveling at. A lot of them have a very subtle tail kick. You really cannot "feel it" You have to trust that it is running right and have the patients to get bit. I have a few Hudds, both 6" and 8" in trout colors and have yet to catch a fish on one. Had a big fish load up my rod but I never got a hookset into her.
With the wakers, you see your bait. you watch it twitch and swim, you are anticipating the strike. I just find them more fun and rewarding to fish.
Maybe when I lean more and gain more experience with the slow sinkers and fast sinking swimbaits I will have a lot more confidence in them. All it takes is a fish or 2, I just havn't been able to make it happen. I need to spend more time throwing them if I expect results.
The thing about all swimbaits is that they will catch all size fish. I have caught 6" bass on a 9" bait. I have caught numbers of 1-2lb bass on 7 and 9" baits but by using big swimbaits you are targeting the biggest bass in a given lake/pond/river. Many days you get fewer bites but the ones you get are all quality. It's not a bait that you take with you and throw a dozen casts then put down and pick up something else. You have to commit to throwing it. The other day we threw swimbaits for 50% of the day. They work best under low light/ night conditions and overcast days with a slight chop to a ripple on the water.
I know a guy who ONLY thows BIG swimbaits. He fishes 4-5 times a month March through November. He may only catch 50 fish all year but 75% are over 5lbs. I know for a fact he has two 9lb mass bass and multiple 8lbers. He gets the skunk many times.

The slammer works well up in Maine over the cabbage beds under the conditions I mentioned especially 1st thing in the morning.

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:11 am

Great info. Much appreciated. I realize there is no magic lure or color. it just takes time and effort. But thanks for the help. This sounds like an interesting bait and i might give it a try sometime along with the other techniques like deep water ect. So much to learn. haha
Again thanks for sharing information it is appreciated.

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:59 am

jwall046

Great info. Much appreciated.

Again thanks for sharing information it is appreciated.

x2

thanks for taking the time stratos.

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:59 pm

This has been a good thread. Thanks for all the input, fellas. I have never given swimbaits a fair chance, but I've never thrown anything over 6". Perhaps its time...

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:52 pm

lets first just say that richie here is like a walking fishing encyclopedia...secondly for those of you who know Damon and Dan(Beaver Fever)from The MAFF Tourneys you'd know they're some great fisherman
---but it might surprise you to know that Damon is also a HIGHLY SKILLED craftsman(woods)---he showed my some KILLA wooden lures they made/make and throw...hit 'em up they'll give ya some usage tips on these ---and if "you" got the tools and some skillz...maybe some great tips on building them . . .GREAT THREAD !

Posted Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:54 am

I am anxiously awaiting a tackle warehouse delivery containing a 7" MS Slammer in blue gill pattern. Holy sh*t I'm getting amped just writing this

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:52 am

I have a handful of swimbaits I bought, to fill my 50 gallon tackle box/cooler (ha ha Kman) and have some 7" ones coming in the mail any day now. Can't wait to try em all out!

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Would you mind sharing where in SE Mass you were?

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Just got the 9 in. perch slammer this week, cant wait to try it out. what pound test were you using with it? Flouro or mono?

Posted Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 am

nvm just read what you used

Posted Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 am

Okay, I want to try a MS slammer, so I figured I'd just bring this one back to the top for some advice. So obviously need a heavy rod and I'll be buying a new reel to go along with (prob Citica). Can this setup be used for anything else besides throwing these? And I am not the best fisher with a bait caster yet and I am petrified to birds nest with braid, should I just do spinning or just grow a sac and learn to use braid on a baitcaster? Thanks for any advice, I know a few of you guys are using them now so anything little advice/nuance helps!

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:18 am

Sorry I did not notice this had mades its way back up to a current topic till just now.

Line: depends on water clarity, bass mood and cover. If you are fishing clear , open water, 20lb mono or floro is reccomended. In and around weeds and wood or in colored water you can use 50-65lb braid. A cost cutting move is to load up with 65lb braid then just add or remove a 4-5' leader of 20lb floro as needed. I just tie on the smallest quality swivel I can find. Owner and Sampo make quality swivels. I use a small Quality snap ( not snap swivel) to attatch the bait to the line. You don't want to tie direct because the mutes the action of the bait.
For a 7" slammer or the mini slammer or some of the mouse baits like the Muits Mouse, you can use a 7' to 7'6" Heavy action flipping stick. BPS sells some fairly inexpensive Bionic Blades that would work. The Citica will work fine for the smaller baits. If you are going to jump up to the 9" or 12" slammers or some of the other heavier baits, you need to upgrade your rod to a Swimbait rod. The better rod companied make rods specifically for swimbaits. Go to Tacklewarehouse.com and search "swimbaits" under the technique specific tab.
The 7' - 7'6" flipping stick can definitly be used as a frog rod and to flip and pitch jigs and creature baits.

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 am

I throw them on both heavy bait casting and heavy spinning gear. I fish saltwater more than I do freshwater so I already owned a few combos that were versatile enough to use for swim bait fishing. For a bait casting reel I got a Shimano Calcutta 400B. I picked that up used for $125 and it was loaded with brand new 40# braid. Check around on this site and others for used gear. (HINT. Google SWIMBAIT, there are two forums devoted to just swimbait bass fishing. ALOT of gear gets bought and sold there at much lower prices.) I paired the Calcutta up with a Bass Pro Extreme 7'-6" MH trigger rod. I have had no problems throwing 7" or 9" Slammers and even a few heavier baits that I added to my collection. I also have been using a Van Staal 150 with 50 bound braid paired with a St. Croix Mojo inshore 7'-6" MH rod. I bought this set up for stripers and bluefish but have recently started throwing swim baits on it. Nothing wrong with using a heavy spinning combo if that's what you feel comfortable with.

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 am

stratos1966

Sorry I did not notice this had mades its way back up to a current topic till just now.

Line: depends on water clarity, bass mood and cover. If you are fishing clear , open water, 20lb mono or floro is reccomended. In and around weeds and wood or in colored water you can use 50-65lb braid. A cost cutting move is to load up with 65lb braid then just add or remove a 4-5' leader of 20lb floro as needed. I just tie on the smallest quality swivel I can find. Owner and Sampo make quality swivels. I use a small Quality snap ( not snap swivel) to attatch the bait to the line. You don't want to tie direct because the mutes the action of the bait.
For a 7" slammer or the mini slammer or some of the mouse baits like the Muits Mouse, you can use a 7' to 7'6" Heavy action flipping stick. BPS sells some fairly inexpensive Bionic Blades that would work. The Citica will work fine for the smaller baits. If you are going to jump up to the 9" or 12" slammers or some of the other heavier baits, you need to upgrade your rod to a Swimbait rod. The better rod companied make rods specifically for swimbaits. Go to Tacklewarehouse.com and search "swimbaits" under the technique specific tab.
The 7' - 7'6" flipping stick can definitly be used as a frog rod and to flip and pitch jigs and creature baits.

what kind of snap are you using? My slammer had a split ring on it so I've been tied directly to that.

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:36 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links