JWall, were you doubting me?!? Haha...state record came out of the Q!

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:52 am

ha ha, no way! I only live 15 minutes from there and i had no idea!
Awesome place

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:13 am

You live 15 minutes from the Quabbin and drive all the way up to Maine to catch smallmouth?? haha

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Ha, I really like the quabin but my motor is to big for that place and now you have to have you boat cleaned by them and can't put it any other body of water except there unless you want to continuously pay for them to wash you r boat.
A quabin rig would be nice someday.

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Ah yes, I forgot about all those regs...good luck in Maine this year Smile

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:37 pm

hell, they rent boats out on the quab, why not just make sure to get there early and snag one? its only 14$

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:21 pm

Last year I was able to take a kayak out on the Quabbin from the entrance off of Rt 122. Had a freaking blast, caught for 4 trout on my 7wt fly rod and they pulled me all-over the place from inside the kayak. The only down side of the Walleye fishing there would be the restriction on night time access.

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:49 am

tom_leb375

hell, they rent boats out on the quab, why not just make sure to get there early and snag one? its only 14$

$14 is for a boat with no motor...bring your rowing muscles!

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:07 pm

markinsturbridge

Last year I was able to take a kayak out on the Quabbin from the entrance off of Rt 122. Had a freaking blast, caught for 4 trout on my 7wt fly rod and they pulled me all-over the place from inside the kayak. The only down side of the Walleye fishing there would be the restriction on night time access.

Rental Kayak? How much do they run for a day?

Posted Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Ive been hearing for awhile now that there are small populations of walleye in certain parts of the merrimack and i have even seen a pic of a nice one caught out of there by a member on another forum. The conn river is another place people supposedly catch em but i think generally speaking that if you are looking to go "walleye fishing" you are in the wrong state. Thats just not a fish worth targeting in our waterways imo. I have read in the past somewhere that the reason walleye do not thrive here has to do with the water around here....maybe the ph level or something like that.....wish i could remember better. I do believe conn may have some water worth fishing for walleyes. If your fishing in this state i would focus on fish that are more prevalent to our region. why go chasing rainbows based on word of mouth that an occasional catch happens here or there.

Posted Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:06 pm

@ ma_fisherman

I think the only reason walleye are uncommon in this state is because they are not "native" and they are not stocked by the state.
I have been reading that in the great lakes region they stock the walleye just like we stock trout here.

I also have the feeling that fisheries management considers walleye to be an "invasive species". Walleye where probably introduced prior to more enlightened fisheries management philosophies which seek to preserve native fish populations such as brown & brook trouts and salmon, etc.

Its ironic, how, even at the recreational level there is politics in fishing. For example this year you now have to get a license for salt water fishing because the federal law now limits the taking of certain species of marine fish.

Posted Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:39 pm

thorn168- fair enough point about the lack of quality walleye fishing being due to the fact the state does not stock this species into our waters. you are prob right about the walleye being an invasive species...a non native species that is introduced to a body of water and has an adverse effect of the ecology of that habitat...but wouldnt n pike and tiger muskie fall under this category also? They were stocked for yrs into many of our waterbodies. And what qualifies as an adverse effect that would cause a species to be considered invasive anyways?? I remember hearing that n pike and muskie were stocked in this state for not only the sporting opportunities but also to eradicate growth stunted baitfish and panfish. so under those conditions they were stocked and not considered invasive?? One concern the state probably would have is that i believe the walleye is a fish with the potential for population growth that would dwarf that of n pike or muskie ,who despite few natural predators seem to have little success thriving in most of our waterways....save a few of the big rivers. oh well, just tossing a few thoughts around. take care

Posted Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:31 am

ma_fisherman I agree with you...Walleye are in the perch family so they have the potential to over populate just like yellow perches can if given the chance.

I think that fisheries management felt that the tiger muskies & Pike were a good choice for managing over population because the tiger muskies do not reproduce and the pike are slow to reproduce.

Walleye are in spite of their rarity are easier to catch then the tiger muskies if you ask me.

Posted Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Stocked species of fish are not invasive species because of the fact they were purposely introduced to our waterways.

Posted Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:09 pm

@bassmonkey21

Any animal which is not indigenous to the area into which it is introduced is typically regarded as an invader.

Here is a link that shows the native range of walleye in the United States:

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=831

So while there are walleye in Massachusetts waters they are not native to them.

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:48 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links