So i'm getting pretty sick of fish snapping off, right now i'm using 12lb fluro. How heavy of a test can I get away with fishing primarily weightless plastics?

Latest example:

Fishing Maspenock yesterday using a plastic craw, I saw whatever it was come up and annihilate it, and turn back down and instantly snap my line. It didn't even seem like my rod had a chance to bend, just snapped my damn line and never gave me a chance.

Only possible explanation I can think of is maybe it was a Pike and just cut it, not sure though, I didn't get a good enough look at it, just saw the flash of a pretty thick torso.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:30 am

Sounds like a pike or pickeral. Nothing you can really do when that happenes. they will cut through braid just as easily. Having said that you might want to try 20-30lb braid. While it won't prevent pickeral bite offs, Bass will certianly not break you off.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:33 am

What kind of cover are you fishing? Are you breaking off just in the pads and heavy muck or are you breaking off just anywhere? If you're fishing places with toothy creatures there's always that chance of them cutting the line especially with plastics.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:36 am

Did your line snap or just get cut?
Sometimes a pike/pickerel can slice thru line like butter.
How often do you check your line?
I have heard of good fisherman on this site reeling in fish bigger than the line test they are using.
Are you fishing clear water,heavy cover,action rod?
Spinning reel or bait-caster?
I think 12lb should be totally fine for bait-casting under most circumstances and maybe on the high side if using spinning reel (unless braid).
Go with a couple spools if using spinning reel and try braid for heavier conditions and Co-polymer or similar for lighter needs.
Good luck

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 am

At that location there was no cover other than rocks. That snap off was in open water, previous ones have usually been when I start to get them out of the water and they flop around and snap off, but those were on 6-8lb test.

I guess I just want to know at what point will the heavier test become visually obvious to the fish for the type of fishing I like to do, which is more finesse than anything I guess.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 am

jwall046

I have heard of good fisherman on this site reeling in fish bigger than the line test they are using.
I think 12lb should be totally fine for bait-casting under most circumstances and maybe on the high side if using spinning reel (unless braid).
Go with a couple spools if using spinning reel and try braid for heavier conditions and Co-polymer or similar for lighter needs.
Good luck

It was hard to tell if it was snapped or cut, it happened very very quick, I don't remember the line being particularly frayed. Probably don't check my line as often as I should. Most of the places I fish are usually stained water, edges of cover but not in and a medium-heavy fast action rod, spinning reel.

Also, how often do you guys replace your line? I've definitely noticed my line starts to tint a darker color after only a few weeks, not sure if this is a bad thing or not.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 am

I use Power Pro 10lb braided line. It has been pretty reliable. Very rarely does my line snap for Bass, but like previously mentioned, Pike & Pickerel can still cut through it.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 am

10 -15 lb braid for finesse like I do, never had it break. but you got to check last inch or two regularly and after every pickerel. I agree with stratos, no leader needed, fish can't see that good or don't care. In the quabbin I use a leader.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:25 am

med/hvy rod is not finesse, guess I missed that. try 20lb braid

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:41 am

jgt11

jwall046

Good luck

It was hard to tell if it was snapped or cut, it happened very very quick, I don't remember the line being particularly frayed. Probably don't check my line as often as I should. Most of the places I fish are usually stained water, edges of cover but not in and a medium-heavy fast action rod, spinning reel.

Also, how often do you guys replace your line? I've definitely noticed my line starts to tint a darker color after only a few weeks, not sure if this is a bad thing or not.

Try some braid, Pretty sure most brands are commendable. Go with 14-20 maybe. I change my line maybe once a year.
2 spools with different lines work excellent also.
Hope this works for ya

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:50 am

powerpro $10 this week at Dick's

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:20 am

I fish #10 mono and I catch more pickerel then bass and they don't break off on me even though I don't use a steel leader in front of the lure.

Since you are using Fluoro, it seems more likely that you are experiencing knot failures rather then break offs. What type of knots are you tying?

Good knots are the key to success with Fluorocarbon and super line fishing lines.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 am

This used to happen to me a lot. Turns out I was just tying shitty knots. Could that be the problem? Also, try some braid.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm

I got 15 on anything where my bait will be in any type of cover. Pickerel will always kill ya, cant count the money of gone through this year losing punching rigs to pics and pike!

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah, my first thought went to the knots also. I had my first breakoff in the past two years this past weekend. I use 10-17lb mono and it is rarely a problem. Again, it depends on the cover though.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links