just to cover all your bases here, i had the same problem last year and tried mostly everything that these guys have suggested. turned out to be one of my guides on my rod, it had a small slit in the inner guide when a fish or pressure was put on the guide the line would fall into the crack and get snagged and snap off. easy fix i just took the insert out but the rod snapped a few days later. needless to say i didnt buy that rod ever again. berkley lighting rod.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm

I agree with all the braid suggestions.

I've been using PowerPro 30lb test and it's been really great for me.

Not only has the strength of the line impressed me but the sensitivity of braid is amazing. I have trouble going back to Fluro/Mono.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm

It's very possible I am tying a crappy knot. I don't know what the name of it is, but i tie a loose double overhand knot around my finger, pass that loop through the eye, over the hook and pull it back up to the eye and tighten like a noose. I've also used a fisherman's knot and palomar, but the one on this occasion was the one described above. Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Earlier this year had same problem.First thought it was line.So upgraded from 10 mono to 12 mono lost a couple more but it was easier to see.Combination of both shitty knots and line not tough enough to be scraped against rocks and survive.Changed knot haven't lost one yet caught a 5lber that dove and buried its head n the weeds line took it like a champ as long as you don't get caught up line should be able to handle any bass we can catch around here.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:22 pm

So what knots do you all use?

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:38 pm

palomar is best for braid, now I use it for most everything

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 pm

I have really fallen in love with spider wire 10lb test very strong and durable for being so thin also very sensitive , but if it is a pickerel or pike they an slice through a lot of lines almost regardless of test, well within reason. If ur just fishing pike//pickerel I suggest maybe using a thin steel lead about 6 inches long from your snap swivel to hook. I know it sounds funny but I doubt they will bite through that. Idea

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:12 pm

I actually prefer not to catch pike/pickerel if I can avoid it (actually have never caught a pike), though they do put up one hell of a fight.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I never started using braid until recently my dad is old school and always went with mono so i followed his lead. I started using it and man i fell in love! i highly suggest going with a braid. When u pull the line in after if breaks off is the line and twisted and kinked at the end? or just a straight cut. In my experience when a knot pulls out it kinks the end of the line. it sounds like a cut off because that is plenty stong line. I striper fish with 14lb test its more so knowing ur drag too.

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 am

Maybe i'll give braid a try, I have nothing against it other than it's visibility. Every time I fish with my buddy (who uses braid), I catch more than him. Maybe it's not the line. Anyway, yea on that break off, it wasn't kinked or anything so it probably wasn't a knot thing.

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:38 am

Yes proper drag is key I learned the hard way this yr I've been more of a trout fisherman til this year never really had to worry about drag or test with trout.But learned the hard way this year.Done more bass fishing then any other time in my life and especially with a big Sally you need to have drag set at right tension and like a fool I was only loosening my drag when I knew the fish was big line will snap if you don't let them big ones have some play when they want to run also maybe a little less tension on knot I smoked a couple of my reels not using the drag this year my light trout reel didn't stand a chance against them big Sallies!

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 am

I'll have to do some research on setting drag, unless you guys have some quick tips. The only thing I know for certain is that my reel will let line out before it breaks (in a steady state pull), as I learned from snagging on submerged structure.

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I use 6 or 8 lb berkley easy cast with a 1 ought drop shot hook, 2 things, spit or wet your knot when pulling it tight and as far as the drag I keep it just loose enough to be able to set the hook if you have tpo crank it tighter it's better than have it snap your line. I do change line often, and if I catch a pickerel I will always take off a few feet and re-tie.

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:59 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links