While I'm waiting for a few more pieces to come in for the Revo STX rebuild I thought I'd get started on the Chronarch CH101B I've been eager to do, this reel was "given" to me 2 years back after a buddy of mine almost threw it down the street because he couldn't get a backlash out. He said if you can get it out you can keep it, needless to say less than 30 seconds later I had a new reel, lol

She's a little beat up and when I opened her up this weekend you could tell she hadn't been cleaned properly since he bought it back in 2006 I believe, the inside was looked like a gravel pit, the bearings and gears were way over greased from years of just adding more before removing the old stuff.

Here are a few photos of what she looks/looked like before I got going, I'll update this thread with new photos every week as the process continues.

Partially Sanded.

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 am

crunchy

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:54 am

Wicked bad, you could feel the sand grinding every time you turned the handle, not to mention the hideous sound that came from the reel everytime you casted

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 am

The sad part is it doesn't take that muck to keep them happy

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 am

nope not at all, just have to remember to clean out the old oil and grease before piling new stuff on top

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 am

This past season was my first using baitcasters full time. I had one the year before but didn't use it a lot. I decided to clean them on my own this winter and was surprised how much gunk was inside even though the outside didn't look bad at all. I watched a video on youtube on how to take apart, clean, and put back together my baitcaster. It wasn't hard at all and I felt pretty good about doing it myself. (I don't consider myself that handy). Used them for the first time yesterday and they felt great. Like new.

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am

Sweet, Ya there is really nothing to it, but still alot of guys wont do them there selves, I'll do a complete cleaning for anyone who wants it done for 25$ per reel.

That includes a complete break down to the bare frame, clean and re lube everything, plus reassemble, I know alot of places do it for the same price and only give it a quick wipe and re grease

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:59 am

sinista

Sweet, Ya there is really nothing to it, but still alot of guys wont do them there selves, I'll do a complete cleaning for anyone who wants it done for 25$ per reel.

That includes a complete break down to the bare frame, clean and re lube everything, plus reassemble, I know alot of places do it for the same price and only give it a quick wipe and re grease

How often do you give it a break down and cleaning? I only just switched over to bait casters this year and none of them been used for an entire season either.

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 am

biggz53

sinista

How often do you give it a break down and cleaning? I only just switched over to bait casters this year and none of them been used for an entire season either.

You would be surprised how fast they get dirty..

There is a certain percentage of the time that reels that come from the factory "over greased" or "under greased" only after opening them up cleaning and correctly lubricating them will you ever know their true potential.

Grease, especially Cheap Grease can break down very easy (just like oil does in a car) extreme heat and use in hot/cold damp conditions, rain, etc can really do a job on a reel, I bought a brand new Quantum this year, after a month of use and 2 events in the rain the thing wouldn't cast 20 feet.

Sand dirt grime in the level wind can start putting new grooves in the level wind gear itself, The Abu I'm doing started grinding a new groove in the level wind gear and eventually wouldn't spool evenly.

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:23 am

The Daiwa reel I got for xmas wasn't lubed properly. Brand new reel. It just didn't feel like it was turning smooth. When I opened it there was just one giant glob of cheap grease on the gear. I cleaned it all off and relubed it. Tried it out yesterday. BAM!! total awesomeness

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26 am

shawneramone

The Daiwa reel I got for xmas wasn't lubed properly. Brand new reel. It just didn't feel like it was turning smooth. When I opened it there was just one giant glob of cheap grease on the gear. I cleaned it all off and relubed it. Tried it out yesterday. BAM!! total awesomeness

You said lube and Bam in the same sentence....(getting a little concerned here, wait till rich see's this post, LMAO)

but thats exactly what I'm talking about. best to check em your self

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:31 am

biggz53

sinista

forgot to say you technically could do one cleaning at the end of the year, but maintainance should be regularlly done every so often

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 pm

sinista

shawneramone

You said lube and Bam in the same sentence....(getting a little concerned here, wait till rich see's this post, LMAO)

but thats exactly what I'm talking about. best to check em your self

My wife hates when it comes out in 1 giant blob.

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 pm

sinista

biggz53

sinista

forgot to say you technically could do one cleaning at the end of the year, but maintainance should be regularlly done every so often

Do you take a apart and clean up on the reel side as normal maintenance. That seems like a bit more involved than taking out the breaking system and cleaning up the spool.

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:48 pm

neil, what do you use to break down and clean out all the old grease, especially in the worm shaft?

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links