biggz53

sinista

biggz53

sinista

Sweet, Ya there is really nothing to it, but still alot of guys wont do them there selves, I'll do a complete cleaning for anyone who wants it done for 25$ per reel.

That includes a complete break down to the bare frame, clean and re lube everything, plus reassemble, I know alot of places do it for the same price and only give it a quick wipe and re grease

How often do you give it a break down and cleaning? I only just switched over to bait casters this year and none of them been used for an entire season either.

forgot to say you technically could do one cleaning at the end of the year, but maintainance should be regularlly done every so often

Do you take a apart and clean up on the reel side as normal maintenance. That seems like a bit more involved than taking out the breaking system and cleaning up the spool.

When I take apart a reel to clean it I take EVERYTHING OUT OF IT break it down to the bare frame, scrub the frame down with a mixture of warm water and simple green wash all the parts as well

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:09 pm

samf

neil, what do you use to break down and clean out all the old grease, especially in the worm shaft?

Old toothbrush and simplegreen diluted with warm water, its time consuming but well worth it, I assure you when I'm done with a reel its better than it was the day it left the factory, especially if you do some minor upgrades like bearings and washers

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 pm

simple green is good stuff and it smells awesome. You could also use brake cleaner to degrease. It works great and dries super fast.

EDIT

Neal correctly pointed out to me that brake cleaner can ruin paint.

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 pm

thanks. so far i've been using the BPS reel saver cleaner and it's worked pretty well. i should probably give it a good scrub with a toothbrush so i don't have to use as much though.

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

I bought a small spray bottle of Ardent reel cleaner. It works great and smells citrusy

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 am

shawneramone

I bought a small spray bottle of Ardent reel cleaner. It works great and smells citrusy

I was thinking of seeing if they sell it by the gallon, I need a lot Qiu all the cleanings I have lined up

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:20 am

ardent reel cleaning is a great product to use. Go through about half a bottle in the off season, cleaning all my reels also. In the process of it now. Takes me about an hour and a half each reel, i do about two a week. Have some beers, kids in bed. clean em up! like new. I think my anti reverse is gone in my Diawa Fuego though.. sucks!!!

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 pm

budwick

ardent reel cleaning is a great product to use. Go through about half a bottle in the off season, cleaning all my reels also. In the process of it now. Takes me about an hour and a half each reel, i do about two a week. Have some beers, kids in bed. clean em up! like new. I think my anti reverse is gone in my Diawa Fuego though.. sucks!!!

Great way to pass time!

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Fresh Primer

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Here are some before photos of the inside just to show how far I take these reels down when I clean and rebuild them

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Some "after " pictures of the inner workings all cleaned up during reassembly

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:51 pm

and here are some photos of the now finished product

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Finished Product

Close up of Metallic

Thanks for all your support guys, I am still taking rebuild repair cleaning and custom paint work orders if anyone is interested

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Absolutely AWESOME! I love the color...Makes me wish i had a old beater to send out.

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Well done Neil. Looks sharp!!

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links