I have a BPS johnny morris carbonlite reel. I bought it back in February and I've decided to return it cause it's junk. The reel cost $130 so im just wondering if anyone can recommend a reel around that price range. If i can get my money back i'm probably going to TW, but worst case scenario i guess ill have to shop at BPS.

I've been searching about and found some decent reels, but i wanted to see what valuable MAFF info i could get.

Thanks MAFF!

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:24 pm

You can't go wrong with a shimano citica. The new g series is great.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Don't know if you're a righty or lefty but the Gen 2 Abu Garcia reels are a great value IMO. I imagine they won't be available for too much longer though:

Revo SX Gen 2:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_REVO_SX_Casting_Reel/descpage-AGRVSX.html

STX Gen 2:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_REVO_STX_Casting_Reel/descpage-AGRSTX.html

Especially if you can combine it with a Sale.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:01 pm

im a big abu garcia and shimano fan. lews is also very good. lighter than abu gen 2 at that price range.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Gen 3 revo sx

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Yea sorry guys completely forgot to mention im a lefty

Thanks for the responses i have a week or two to figure out what i want. Should give me plenty of time.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:08 pm

bangbang

You can't go wrong with a shimano citica. The new g series is great.

Another vote for citica I find my self using it more than my others an by far my favorite

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Shop smart. You can get awesome deals on used reels at bassboatcentral.com

Don't think you need to get the newest models. For example - I just bought 2 shimano 101ds in mint condition for $200 and am adding carbontex drag and Abec 7 bearings and a tune up. Cheaper than a brand new curado and a much better reel in my opinion.

What technique will you be using the reel for mostly??

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm a big shimano fan as well. Citica, Cardiff, whatever. Seldom been disappointed.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:42 pm

I would definitely buy the Abu Revo SX, or save a few more dollars and buy the Revo S

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:11 pm

sinista

I would definitely buy the Abu Revo SX, or save a few more dollars and buy the Revo S

Anyone have any input on whether the Gen 3 Abus are significantly better?

I haven't had the chance to see or use one.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 pm

jjbagoose

sinista

Anyone have any input on whether the Gen 3 Abus are significantly better?

I haven't had the chance to see or use one.

Ordering all of mine in a week , I've had the chance to hold them they are considerably lighter and a bit smaller very comfortable in the hand

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 pm

jbigun

Shop smart. You can get awesome deals on used reels at bassboatcentral.com

Don't think you need to get the newest models. For example - I just bought 2 shimano 101ds in mint condition for $200 and am adding carbontex drag and Abec 7 bearings and a tune up. Cheaper than a brand new curado and a much better reel in my opinion.

What technique will you be using the reel for mostly??

Probably a heavy cover setup for punching, jigs, frogs etc...

If TW had the REVO SX in lefties i would of already made up my mind Very Happy

So still looking around...

Thanks again MAFF for the responses!

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

all the way. Love em. Have 2 now, looking to change over to a third. 129 isn't a great price on them. They can be had for 100 bucks right now for people clearing out inventory for the gen 3. I too am a lefty. Cabelas usually stocks lefties.....0-2 trying to buy them at BPS.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:12 pm

tallimeca

all the way. Love em. Have 2 now, looking to change over to a third. 129 isn't a great price on them. They can be had for 100 bucks right now for people clearing out inventory for the gen 3. I too am a lefty. Cabelas usually stocks lefties.....0-2 trying to buy them at BPS.

Hmmm i figured $129 wasn't too bad?

Unfortunately my spending limit is probably going to be $160 on a reel. I still have to order a rod too.

Those REVO SX Gen 3 Look pretty nice. Either that or a Lew's BB-1 Speed Spool. Still don't know....

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links