Abu Garcias don't stand up to abuse nearly as well as higher end shimano reels and that is a fact. The only reason you see so many pros using them is because their parent company Pure Fishing sponsors so many and they can replace them easily. Same company that owns Berkely, etc.

Nice reels but I wouldn't buy one over a Shimano. I bought a few just out of curiousity and they all blew up after a season. A bunch of my friends who fished them hard had the same issues. Just my two cents.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:52 pm

I'd like to make a recommendation but I am afraid I would come off as confrontational and a know it all.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:08 pm

i have never had a problem with gen 1, 2, or 3 abu garcia revo stx or premier. i've used 2 exclusively for the nastiest slop fishing with the drag on LOCK. i've used it so much i don't think any of the paint remains. it is still running strong. all i've had to do was basic cleaning at the end of each year.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm

stratos1966

I'd like to make a recommendation but I am afraid I would come off as confrontational and a know it all.

NOO this is why im asking MAFF i want to know everyone's opinion! Please feel free to shed some light on the topic!

BTW i know for real quality i should be spending more, but that just cant happen ATM.

So please no one hold back cause i dont want to make a purchase im going to regret in 4-6 months... Im trying to get the best bang for the buck and to be honest i don't know all the company's that try and show off products that fail to last in the long run. Nower day's i can filter threw most of the junk, but by no means have true experience with multiple company's.

Again i cant thank MAFF enough for the help. I really appreciate the posts guys! I cant stand reading reviews from people who buy a product and review it three days later.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:14 pm

I have a 2010 Johnny Morris Special Edition Baitcaster Its the only Bass Pro Reel I own I think I paid 129$ for it I'm willing to be I've caught well over 500 lbs of bass on it in the past 3 season I use it exclusively to pitch and punch and the drag has been set to lock since day 1 I've never had a problem with it other than it weighs dam near a pound! I think the older models are better these newer lighter versions look pretty but I think they are compromise the quality of the reel trying to put out a downsized lighter version of the originals , the old one is a tank , stands up to the abuse of one too.

Never had a problem with any Revo's until this year , while fishing the Taunton river for largies I had a Striper smash a spinnerbait just as I was trying to engage the reel he hit and ran so hard he stripped all the teeth off the nylon worm shaft gears, lol, called Abu, told em what happened, they immediately mailed me out a whole new set of gears free of charge free of shipping, just rebuilt it, putting a custom paint job on it and upgrading everything then ill post pics of it

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:29 pm

I really like the look of the new revo premier - maybe I'll give it a shot and have different results.

But lunker hunter seriously check out bbc - tons of Abus, shimanos, daiwas, etc. on there.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 pm

jbigun

I really like the look of the new revo premier - maybe I'll give it a shot and have different results.

But lunker hunter seriously check out bbc - tons of Abus, shimanos, daiwas, etc. on there.

I just scored a Shimano Calais CO201-5 and a G Loomis Deep Flex CBR864 at a great price picking it up after new years

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Very nice. Be curious to see how you like the deep flex. I have heard mixed reviews. I have a few of their regular crankbait rods and love em.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:04 pm

sinista

jbigun

I just scored a Shimano Calais CO201-5 and a G Loomis Deep Flex CBR864 at a great price picking it up after new years

can you flip with those?

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:38 pm

jbigun

Very nice. Be curious to see how you like the deep flex. I have heard mixed reviews. I have a few of their regular crankbait rods and love em.

I'm parting ways with the rod I just want the reel but have to buy the package to get the reel

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:57 pm

shawneramone

sinista

jbigun

can you flip with those?

I can flip with anything I don't crazy about this reel for this this reel for that, if it has a good drag and I can get 30 yards on braid on it I can flip with it

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:59 pm

sinista

jbigun

I'm parting ways with the rod I just want the reel but have to buy the package to get the reel

Good move - I didn't want to rain on your parade if you were planning on keeping it Wink

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:02 pm

jbigun

sinista

jbigun

Good move - I didn't want to rain on your parade if you were planning on keeping it Wink

Ya I'm all set I'm trying to focus on reels , getting rid of some older stuff

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Joe is 100% correct on BBC (bassboatcentral) There are great deals on there all the time!

I had 3 revo premiers with upgraded bearings and they were nice reels, but I have always liked shimanos better. I ended up selling them this year on BBC. I never had any issues with them, I just prefer shimanos. It comes down to whatever feels the best for you. The only way you are going to know if you like it is if you try it out.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Because I'm left hand retrieve (with the reel handle on the side it was meant to be on, Lmao) I find I can get some better deals than the rest of the (wrong handed people) right handed guys can on reels

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links