you sure got a sweet deal from me. i love shimano, but love the abu drag. i don't even think the new premier is necessary. the stx is pretty awesome. the only downside to gen 2 was the weight...now it's 6.35 oz.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:38 pm

samf

you sure got a sweet deal from me. i love shimano, but love the abu drag. i don't even think the new premier is necessary. the stx is pretty awesome. the only downside to gen 2 was the weight...now it's 6.35 oz.

Sure did Sam thank you, I think that reduced weight comes in handy especially in situations when you stick with one tactic all day like pitching and punching, after 500 pitches you would be surprised how much every oz of weight reduction makes a difference , especially for me I add a balance kit to the butt of my rod which actually ADDS a few ozs but helps keep the rod tip up without having to hold it there as well as helps the cantilever action of the pitch ...so adding a few ozs doesn't make a difference when you are losing 3 or 4 on a lightweight reel

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:47 pm

The previous generation Carbonlite reel (Gold Color) is pretty good. The new generation Carbonlite (Grey Color) is a junk. Line will get caught in the spool, the long screw to the side plate thread will torn up. You can buy a Lew's Tournament Pro on eBay for $150.

lunkerhunter2366

I have a BPS johnny morris carbonlite reel. I bought it back in February and I've decided to return it cause it's junk. The reel cost $130 so im just wondering if anyone can recommend a reel around that price range. If i can get my money back i'm probably going to TW, but worst case scenario i guess ill have to shop at BPS.

I've been searching about and found some decent reels, but i wanted to see what valuable MAFF info i could get.

Thanks MAFF!

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 am

I have a team daiwa (14 yrs old) & shimano curado (12 yrs old). I'm thinking about oiling them this year 1st time.
I also have a few abu's (3 yrs old) no worries.
I have had a quantum for a day. That sucked. I don't know what i was thinking!

Past history for me says shimano , Daiwa or abu Cool

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Yeah, I'm w/ya on two counts. Shimano or Abu . . . use both though whoever wrote that the Abu does not stand up as long as the Shimano reels is right. Funny, the Abu (I use the 5501 series - I'm also a left hand reeler) is a very good striper reel. I've also used some BPS reels and the results are mixed. Some good, some not so good.

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Shimano curado a lil more money but that or the revo

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Can't speak for the revo, as I've never used one but I'm a fan of shimano citica & cardiff a/w/a curado. Never a problem. I've tried quantum & I agree, they don't last . . . spinning as well as cranking. What's up w/that? Want to buy American but . . . ????

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:03 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links