So...as some of you know...the wife has "cleared" the money for the boat(if she changes her mind I'm gonna OPEN A VEIN !)...the research is done...I'm going with the tracker 10' "jon"...Charlie at USAMarine must HATE Dave From Wista by now hahahah...I think "Freebie" answered my main questions earlier this fall...'under 14' and no gas motor= no registration and no insurance...'...yes ? no?I'm trying to keep my first year of 'ownership' on the cheap & so I can set the boat up with ease(I'm a little dude,and getting TOO OLD to hafta "hulk" s*** everywhere I go) And I want to be able to 'launch' myself...this all said...here's my my 'concern'/'question...can I pull it off using 2 trollers transom & bow?IE:If I put a 55lber on the back and a 44lber(suggestions) on the front...yea...I know...more electric means more battery power needed...the question is ..is this viable? In addition...this thing will be undergoing a GOOD DEAL of personalizing and a couple of the guys here locally(From MAFF) have agreed to help me out...thanks in advance Damon & JayWallz...(I'll be more than happy to demo that manual/power pole Jay)(And will PROUDLY DISPLAY my 'BeaverFever' magnets/stickers !) of course I want the small ones..it's an Ad after all...I'm not "On-The-Team" hahahahahaha In the coming weeks I'm going to do GREAT DEAL of research on electronics and motors(I welcome advice and opinions on this).I will ALSO of course look into gas motor options(I said I was going cheap,but everyone craves MORE POWER eventually)...I know Chevin & Sinista run similar rigs...and I know for sure Richie has his 'Jonny" set up pretty mint too...pile on the info I can't get enough advice on this and a few short months away from having this finally ALL DONE(I've been dreaming it for a LONG TIME) When I DO get out there with you guys...I just prefer to 'Look' like I know what the hell I'm doin'..... even if I don't...Shhhh...hahahahaha...most of my married friends are too busy to do every Sunday and most of my single friends are too hung over t' hang with me at 3-4 am...'point is...I know some of you MAFFERS will team up with me when ya can't find a ride---->looking in your direction JonnyBags(We boat whores need t' stick together)....I just don't wanna look like a JACKASS when I invite you BIG BOYS onto my rig..I'll leave the 'jack-ass' for when we're all back here at the website...PLEASE -respond to the thread"Jon-Boat Mods" that Richie started a few months ago...the use of that foam core to make his templates was what got me REALLY REALLY got me thinking...Hey! I COULD 'Pull this off"...PILE ON THE INFORMATION !

Posted Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:35 am

HI Dave,
double check the registration rules. I thought someone told me even if you put electic on a canoe it needs to be registered?
I'm sure you will get an earfull of information. But check out lowrance electronics. I saw some the other day fairly reasonable with downscan/sidescan ect. i think they were the elite 5x editions?
You will see em online at B.P.S.
Trolling motors i'd buy 1 and mout up front and get as much power as you can but maybe stay within 24 volts. I move my 20ft fiberglass boat fairly well with a 67 lb 24 vlt. and that on the small side.
Another thing to consider is total weight you will be adding to your boat 2-3 batteries,gear,you, trolling motor ect. Maybe a 12 ft would be better? I just hate to see you add to much weight and draft more than wanted. You never know when wind or waves will come into play. My friend overloaded a 12ft jon boat and sunk it in quaboag with all his gear! He actualy had to rescued,
BUt anyway i'm not the cartopper pro, I think there will be some more knowledgeable guys chiming in soon.

Posted Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:48 am

Dave,

Yes, any boat doesn't matter size, if you put any motor electric or gas has to be registered. Its cost me $40 for 2 years for my crawdad.

A 10' jon is on the small side for "pimpin your ride". I had a sears 10' jon with a 32" bottom & it was to tipsy to stand up with 2 people in boat (one could do it if you got good sense of balance).
If your trying to keep it light enough to move your self, then don't bolt anything down. Such as, seats or flooring. Use clamps for seats & flooring make it removable or maybe just some old carpeting on the floor to keep sound to a minimum. Weight adds up fast! Trolling motors, 1 motor in the front is just fine. But, get at least a 45lb thrust. The down side to the motor up front is that the back of boat fish tales when you turn. So, a rudder is needed in back (check my pics you'll see what I came up with).

Then, you said electronics. I have the Eagle cuda 300. Its your basic fish finder/depth finder. It does the job & haven't had any problems with it. The DSI units are great but, pricey & I read that boat has to be moving to get clear images. So, you want a unit that has both DSI & sonar. Maybe some else has more input on DSI.

Posted Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:13 am

Hey Dave,

Evan is absolutely right- once you but an electric motor on any vessel including canoes and Jon Boats you need to get in registered ang I believe as long as it's under 14 feet the cost is $40 for 2 years. I have been stopped numerous times on my 12 foot canoe due to the trolling motor so I'm glad I had it registered.

I would recommend going with a 14 foot tracker because it's longer and wider which gives you more stability and room/capacity for gear and people. The cost is only $170 dollars more than the 10ft version ($529 for Topper 10 or $699 for Topper 14) and in my opinion is well worth it, especially if you plan on customized the boat. The weight is not much more and I've been able to handle mine solo, even fishing at night. I have kept mine simple so far for that reason- a 55lb thrust motor on the back where I sit, and I put some rubber material on the bottom for comfort and sound control and I have some electronics I need to set up this winter. There is plenty of room for 2 batteries but even being out for 6 hours at a time I have not yet needed the back-up, however it will come in handy during tournaments for livewell airators.

I think the other things I will do is put on a swivel seat in the back and build a removable deck for the front for days I want a flat platform to angle from.

Again, my best advice is to think about the size of the boat. I believe a 10 foot Jon Boat is only rated for 350 pounds- a 200lb guy, two batteries, electric motor and gear and you've already maxed it out. My 14 footer supported me, my Dad and my Grandfather with all of our gear fairly easily (probably around 650 pounds). Between the boat brand new at bass pro, a 55lb thrust motor, battery and foam flooring I spent less than $1100.....pretty short money to have a comfortable rig.

I would definately take the advice from the crew that is helping you- I got to fish from Damon's rig and he definately knows what he's doing and how to make the best use out the space while considering added weight to the rig.

Good luck!!!

Posted Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:51 am

uuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Last edited by stevelibs on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Dave
check out a trolling motor like this. I really liked mine when i had it.
It comes with an 18' cord that you can operate your boat from any spot and still have the motor mounted in front. It doesn't turn as fast as the pedal (push/pull) type but it works nice. Don't get me wrong you can get a remote control but i never used one and i'd think it be a hassle to take your hands off the rod. This way you can be in back and eploy your car topper version powerless pole and control the front of the boat. I like the bow mount this way your pulling not pushing. You will see when you get pushed around by the wind Smile what i mean.
I'd go 12- 14' too

Minn Kota® 45 PowerDrive™ V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor

Posted Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks guys! I KNEW you guys would step up for me ...after ALL that research I'd talked about with the 10'er was for nothing ...hahahaha...I have now done TRUE R&D by just asking you guys(shoulda really done that first I'd guess)...my NEW* sentiment is 14'...the whole idea has been to keep it small enough to throw up on top of my NissanPathfinder®™...however..I spoke with Damon yesterday and he says I should have plenty of area with racks to STILL do that...funny how things change as ya go...'cause now I started pricing 2500 style vans on Craig'sList today hahahaha...as for the kayak idea....I LOVE the idea...but my first couple years of 'ownership'...I wanna be able to bring AT LEAST 1 team-mate out with me...and 2 person kayaks are through the roof on the dough so for same or similar money I'm opting for a "jonny"...besides I'ma SICK BASTID...if I wanna get close to 'em I'll buy waders and LITERALLY...GET RIGHT IN THERE ...hell I did that this summer(Me AND Brian) WITHOUT WADERS ---'told ya...I'm CRAZY!Oh'..and Jay...I'll check on that minn-kota and I'm ALL OVER your manual pole idea and would LOVE t' try out your idea...I'll let you know the day I get the "shell"...and as far as the insurance...I somehow thought it would be MUCH MORE$$$---that's REALLY not bad @ all...ok...I'm in...(almoooost) DAMN CALANDER !

Posted Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Dave,

Does you pathfinder have a trailer hitch? I had the same dilemma when I was buying my boat. Didn't wanna bother with trailer. But, glad I did! Much easier when you fish alone to just pull up to boat ramp & launch right off a trailer.

I went to "etrailer.com." & got a bolt on hitch for my mini-van. It cost me $170 + $25 for the light hook up & was good to go.

The crawdad was $600 for boat, trailer, motor & battery from a MAFF member. I've seen many similar deals on C's list.

If you didn't want to go that route. Have you looked at the "bass hunter mini-pontoons"? They are much more stable than a 10' jon, have more weight capacity & don't need to modify. There is 10' model that weighs in @ 100lbs. You can buy a boat caddy that straps on to one end of the boat so, one person can wheel it into water.

Posted Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:39 am

Riverratt, i have a small 4 1/2 horse gas motor if your interested for your rig.Comes with a gas can.I used it for my 10' aluminum boat.It pushed the boat pretty good with all equipment and two people.It helps a lot to have a small gas motor for the days it gets real windy.
Wind can drain a battery faster as you try to move to another location across the lake or pond.Motor will need a tune-up as i have not used it since getting a bigger boat this past spring.If it is something you are interested in,let me know.We can discuss price.The motor is in good shape.Haven't started it in a while.that is why i suggest a tune-up.Not too heavy and can easliy be mounted to the back of your boat.

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks man...good t' see not EVERYONE woke up with "I hate the river rat" on their minds today...I'm not QUITE ready yet...taxes aren't in yet...But I'll keep you in mind when I'm ready...unless the shrink puts me away soon....hahahahaha good lookin out ma man...!
bassstinger

Riverratt, i have a small 4 1/2 horse gas motor if your interested for your rig.Comes with a gas can.I used it for my 10' aluminum boat.It pushed the boat pretty good with all equipment and two people.It helps a lot to have a small gas motor for the days it gets real windy.
Wind can drain a battery faster as you try to move to another location across the lake or pond.Motor will need a tune-up as i have not used it since getting a bigger boat this past spring.If it is something you are interested in,let me know.We can discuss price.The motor is in good shape.Haven't started it in a while.that is why i suggest a tune-up.Not too heavy and can easliy be mounted to the back of your boat.

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 am

dave,

i just saw this on cl

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/2769235046.html

not looking to impose anything, just thought it was a decent deal.

charlie

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:38 pm

dave,when i ran foot control on the bow and another electric on the back all i did was run a wire to a switch by the front seat.it's an easy set up,you leave your rear trolling motor set on high with the switch off.your foot control is your steering your rear serves as your keel.when you want to boogie you just hit the switch and steer with your foot control.i had that set up on my first crawdad and it was awesome.just watch out for shallow water.
anything mechanical used for propulsion requires a registration.find an office,i know of fall river and hyannis.you will need a bill of sale,etching or picture of the serial number and( title if you have it)if no title don't worry under 14'.when you go there you will go to a kiosk to pay sales tax,if not paid already.they will help you if you need it.then you go to the registration desk to pay the reg.they will give you your reg.and sticker.you have to buy your own hull numbers.it's just like registering a car but a different office and an extra step.i hope this helps you out with your quest for the fishin machine.haha
go bruins and go pats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Thats KILLER ! ...why is it the closer ya get to something the further away it seems hahahaha...tell ya what ..thats the deal...provided the "bitchy banker" gives the ok...I was trying to keep initial setup to 1100 or so...what she dont know can KILL ME if you catch my drift hahaha...I'm going to email this one and find out if it's just a "sale" or a 'standing offer'...fu**in calender...GREAT FIND 'Charles In Charge"! haha
charliep

dave,

i just saw this on cl

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/2769235046.html

not looking to impose anything, just thought it was a decent deal.

charlie

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Great ALL AROUND answer to almost EVERY QUESTION ! this is ALL I need...check that link Charlie just sent me...VERY COOL...if it's there in a few weeks...it'll be HERE IN WISTA ina few days after that...QUOTE" anything mechanical used for propulsion requires a registration" BEST description so far...<CAVEMAN>-Science GOOD---you guys have ALL had AWESOME info for me here...Damon's gonna need to get me hooked up with a tent in his yard for 2 weeks hahahahah...now that I think of it ...I'll mow his lawn in trade for deckin' my boat !
khaskins

dave,when i ran foot control on the bow and another electric on the back all i did was run a wire to a switch by the front seat.it's an easy set up,you leave your rear trolling motor set on high with the switch off.your foot control is your steering your rear serves as your keel.when you want to boogie you just hit the switch and steer with your foot control.i had that set up on my first crawdad and it was awesome.just watch out for shallow water.
anything mechanical used for propulsion requires a registration.find an office,i know of fall river and hyannis.you will need a bill of sale,etching or picture of the serial number and( title if you have it)if no title don't worry under 14'.when you go there you will go to a kiosk to pay sales tax,if not paid already.they will help you if you need it.then you go to the registration desk to pay the reg.they will give you your reg.and sticker.you have to buy your own hull numbers.it's just like registering a car but a different office and an extra step.i hope this helps you out with your quest for the fishin machine.haha
go bruins and go pats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:42 pm

dave also they are all buisnness at the enviormental boat reg building in boston i,m not shure if you hav anything around wista. but make shure you bring any reciepts for your trolling motor to show the size thrust just in case they want to be a pain AND also dont forget to bring a pencil stencil of the hull ID number. my advice bring every thing bill of sale exc. theres nothing worse then making a second trip when 1 will do
good luck see ya on the water

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links