Heard there was open water in Wareham,Gonna head out there today.Billington is starting to open up it's about a quarter open.
Put up a post as you see the open ponds and lakes,it's been a long winter.

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:48 am

Parts of the Charles are starting to open up in the Dedham area.

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:30 am

I can confirm the Charles, almost completely open but for a little ice along the edges.

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:29 am

isn't the cape open?

how's the flow on the charles, is it ripping?

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:43 am

mikem

Parts of the Charles are starting to open up in the Dedham area.

Really? I was ice fishing on the Charles around there last week. 5" of ice. Some stretches of open water but not enough to make an effort to try and fish it.

How about the Mystic River. I drove by two weeks ago and it looked open?

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:57 am

From the Dedham mall to the vfw is mostly clear, still some ice but not a lot.

Sam, there was some current but not a lot

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:13 am

Saw some open water myself in wareham/bourne. Mill pond was half open a week or so ago...Alot of the smaller ponds in plymouth are starting to open up. Very Happy

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Charles in Waltham is almost wide open. Maybe 5-10 ft from shore out still iced. Looks high but the flow isn't too bad. Ill check the boat ramp in Waltham tomorrow, I live down the street

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 pm

this is a helpful site that shows current and past river conditions.
gauge height is a relative measurement and not river depth, just the current water level at that gauge. looking at the waltham charles gauge the water is 1/2 ft higher than a few days ago and the discharge flow has doubled. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/current?type=flow&group_key=NONE

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:40 pm

Mystic river is open in most of Medford and Arlington from what I saw haven't checked the upper mystic but the lower even near somervilles launch is almost all clear

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:32 pm

hows the river fish this time of year? i've never fished it...always hit the lakes instead.

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 am

There's a nice spot right down the street from me where the rotary for Medford and Arlington meet that I've always had good luck during April but never tried this early. I remember last year I went over to spy pond with my father in law because we were itchin to fish te first week I march and the water was so calm and still. Little to my knowledge that after I casted my creature out there I heard a " thump" there was like 2 inches of water ontop of 4 inches of ice lol. Needless to say we went home haha

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:46 am

Think I'll hit the Charles on Monday. Checked it out yesterday and there is enough open water for my liking. Bout time for some open water!

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:55 am

Going to be a little chilly out there tomorrow Exclamation

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 am

don51

Going to be a little chilly out there tomorrow Exclamation

Yep! Hopefully the winds aren't too bad. The wind today should keep things open. I figure they be on either bridge pillars, tight to cover, or in deep water. At this point I'll be happy just to catch the bottom!

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links